Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deep oil sump?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nf6x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Deep oil sump? Reply with quote

I just got my 1969 Fastback a couple days ago. It's my first VW. It has a deep oil sump added on to the bottom of the engine. What are the pros and cons of the deep oil sump? I live on a rough dirt road, so if the deep sump isn't very beneficial I might take it off since it hangs down so low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How deep it it? If it's one of those super deep sumps that's 3 inchs or more tall then yeah, take it off. That's only good for drag racing on big motors. If it's a 1.5 sump you can go either way. A stock motor doesn't need it. But if you drive hard and like taking corners hard then I would recommend keeping it.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nf6x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like one of the shorter ones, I guess. I do not plan to drive this car aggressively, except for freeway onramps of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the oil in that pic, you see one of the cons. I have one on my bus, and it is a bitch to get off and on. They tend to leak out of the top. I just replaced the top gasket, and it doesnt leak anymore. we will see how long that lasts. Another con if you live on a bumpy road is hitting it on a rock and cracking it. You will lose all your oil very fast.
Pros, obviously you can run more oil so the motor will run cooler.
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevanillaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to keep it, I'd recommed taking a day to take it off and do it right. Make sure all the bolts are tight (all of them, especially connecting the two pieces of the pick-up.) Use copper sealant on all the bolts, it really helps keep down leaks, and it's not a bad idea to use the sealant between gaskets. I had one, but once we went to put it back on couldn't get it to fit up right so said forget. Haven't noticed any difference, honestly, except oil changes are cheaper (and a little easier.)

Stored for 4 1/2 years and soon to be resurrected..
'67 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nf6x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll probably take it off and put it on my trade list. How much are the things worth?
alex608
Fat Chick T3s Rule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just sold one for $20. the guy who bought it lived in the next town. the ad was only posted for 6 hrs.you may be able to get more for yours.i would rather sell cheap and get credit in my kharma bank than to sell stuff for outragous prices and sit on it forever.. just my .02cents worth

'71 FI square...The daily driver

" At times It is better for one to keep his mouth shut and be thought of as a fool...

Than to open his mouth and erase all doubts..."
Zarana-X
Samba Dreadnok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like one of the Taiwan cheapies, which is a poor copy of the Gene Berg sump. The Taiwan ones will crack if you hit a waffle. I would suggest spending the extra for a Berg, Scat or CB Performance sump. For some reason CB made theirs take a special gasket, so Actually either the Berg or Scat. The new Empi 3.5 sump is OK, too. All of these sumps are stronger and are reinforced on the inside.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
Another con if you live on a bumpy road is hitting it on a rock and cracking it. You will lose all your oil very fast.

The odds of that happening are about zero.

Quote:

Pros, obviously you can run more oil so the motor will run cooler.
I haven't seen any proof to that rumor. From personal experience, it's definitely not true. And you don't need to run cooler for a stock motor. And the engine won't run cooler because the thermostat will close the flaps to keep the engine at operating temp.

It will definitely help keep the oil pick-up tube submerged in oil when the engine is experiencing rapid lateral forces and give you that extra quart of protection so low oil indications on the dip stick aren't as critical Wink
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking of doing this on my motor as well then talked to my mechanic about it. he said that no it does not make it run cooler. if anything it just takes longer to heat up because there is more of it but otherwise it is a cover up.
nf6x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pull it off and use the stock configuration. It sounds like it doesn't buy me anything. No chance of hitting it on a rock? That sounds like somebody who lives on a paved road talking. Wink

I guess I'll be doing my first VW oil change soon! Are gasket and washer sets for the oil strainer cover usually available from the local auto parts chain stores, or will I need to order?
vdubman27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could go to S.A.B for the gaskets but they might cost $20 if i remember thier pricing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sump will not allow you to run cooler. they do however provide extra oil capicity to help alliviate oil starvation when you are accelerating quickly or rounding corners quickly. alot of times builders will weld or braze the extension on the pick up tube so it reaches down to the sump. if that is the case you cant just take the sump off, you have to replace the pick up tube. sometimes the exensions are clamped on.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nf6x wrote:
I'm going to pull it off and use the stock configuration. It sounds like it doesn't buy me anything. No chance of hitting it on a rock? That sounds like somebody who lives on a paved road talking. Wink

I used to live on a dirt road...a very bumpy and dusty dirt road at that. I know what I'm talking about. These things aren't made of glass, ya know.
The First Invasion
nf6x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
alot of times builders will weld or braze the extension on the pick up tube so it reaches down to the sump. if that is the case you cant just take the sump off, you have to replace the pick up tube. sometimes the exensions are clamped on.

Thanks for the info. I hope mine is clamped on. I'm waiting for my oil change gasket sets to arrive before I pull off the sump, and it'll be nice if I don't need to order up another part before I put my car back together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: