Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official good deal on Buses or parts topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 508, 509, 510  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Wow I wish I could justify buying this. I've read about them and they are an amazing tool. I should buy it just so I can pull my motor single handedly.

VW Motor Porter Price: $650

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1997165

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Those motor porters are awesome. Surprised it's not pending already.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

Me too, sort of. $650 buys a lot of beer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

I have never had trouble pulling or installing an engine by myself using only a floor jack. The motor porter is cool, but storing it seems like a pain in the ass. It is neat in someone else's garage....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
peecee69 wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

I have never had trouble pulling or installing an engine by myself using only a floor jack. The motor porter is cool, but storing it seems like a pain in the ass. It is neat in someone else's garage....

I've pulled motors using a regular floor jack no problem by myself.
However, the Motor Porter is really awesome. If you use one you will see why.
You can also lift the engine up and work on it at an ergonomic height.
The really nice part is that it will also lift up enough to put the engine on or take it off a Matra engine stand. By yourself! Don't risk your back! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Work smarter!

The down side is it takes up space. Not good if you have a tiny workshop.

taking an engine off the engine stand:

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Makes me glad I have a scissor lift hoist and a 32" tall rolling cart. But I have used a floor jack for years without issue.

The motor porter is cool, but I agree that the storage space issue is a big one.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

I store this under a bus in the corner of my shop. It's a thinking mans device. Sure, floor jacks work. So does dropping the motor onto a milk crate and pushing the bus forward. Some people geek out on factory/original dealer stuff. Others can't appreciate it.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Those engine porters look really nice. In the meantime for those of us without the $ or space, here is a cheap solution. It's much more forgiving than a jack alone and has "handles" on the ends so you (and a helper) can lift/move the engine.

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

peligroso^^^^

milk crates are cheaper, safer and a better fit. you can also cut a section out of the side of the milkcrate and slide a floorjack in.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

I've done the milk crate method and it works fine but this just works better for me. Crates are more slippery against metal and cutting a side out of them can compromise their strength. Some of them are much stronger than others. This is easier to move around with the engine on it. With a crate, if you want to lift the engine to work on it/store it, you have to pick it by the engine itself. With this you just move the engine with the stand.

This thing may look flimsy in pics but it is rock solid and stable. The jack goes right up under it and everything is easily centered. The engine is more stable side to side than on a crate. I don't think I spent anything significant building it, just a little bit of time and some scrap wood.

People should most definitely do what they feel is safest for them. Just throwing out another way to do it.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

[quote="Clara"][quote="npbusguy"]
peecee69 wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

The really nice part is that it will also lift up enough to put the engine on or take it off a Matra engine stand. By yourself! Don't risk your back! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Work smarter!

taking an engine off the engine stand:
^^^^^This is one of the best things about a motor porter. Motors are heavy, and lifting one by yourself may be hazardous to your health. The heads also lock onto the bottom of the motor, so you can push/pull the motor w/o risking it falling off a jack.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

This might be a good deal for a running/driving sc. It looks pretty clean & tidy, interior looks nice. Headlight buckets are wrong for a 62' so maybe had a nose job:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1997822
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
This might be a good deal for a running/driving sc. It looks pretty clean & tidy, although the headlight buckets are wrong for a 62' so maybe had a nose job:

Yes, it's been nose clipped.

More photos from 2011:
https://flickr.com/photos/8423892@N04/sets/72157627927630371
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
oakman wrote:
This might be a good deal for a running/driving sc. It looks pretty clean & tidy, although the headlight buckets are wrong for a 62' so maybe had a nose job:

More photos from 2011:

After looking at your pics I would say good deal for sure. If I didn't have one already and was in the market I would be all over it.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
campingbox wrote:
oakman wrote:

More photos from 2011:

After looking at your pics I would say good deal for sure. If I didn't have one already and was in the market I would be all over it.

The body isn't perfect. There are some photos pre-paint in this samba users gallery:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=694

It ran and drove pretty tight when I worked on it in 2011.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
I've done the milk crate method and it works fine but this just works better for me. Crates are more slippery against metal and cutting a side out of them can compromise their strength. Some of them are much stronger than others. This is easier to move around with the engine on it. With a crate, if you want to lift the engine to work on it/store it, you have to pick it by the engine itself. With this you just move the engine with the stand.

This thing may look flimsy in pics but it is rock solid and stable. The jack goes right up under it and everything is easily centered. The engine is more stable side to side than on a crate. I don't think I spent anything significant building it, just a little bit of time and some scrap wood.

People should most definitely do what they feel is safest for them. Just throwing out another way to do it.
My friend pulls his motor with a tire inner tube and a ply wood board. He just puts it under the engine and fills it up to hold the engine then releases the air to lower it. He keeps it in the bus for roadside engine pulling.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

You can also use a wooden shelf from a local bench to make a seesaw, this is what my father did in the past. Unfortunately not on the pics. Very Happy

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

I've always loved the casual engine rebuild by the side of the road! Nice pic!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
You can also use a wooden shelf from a local bench to make a seesaw, this is what my father did in the past. Unfortunately not on the pics. Very Happy

THAT is a Great pic !!! Radio next to him, Bumper & engine parts off --Head off !!, little table & picnic stuff set up, too bad the pic did not get more of your Dad. Thanks for shareing.... Cool

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:

THAT is a Great pic !!! Radio next to him, Bumper & engine parts off --Head off !!, little table & picnic stuff set up, too bad the pic did not get more of your Dad. Thanks for shareing.... Cool

That is a great pick, bygone days, you'll never see that anymore unless you are enroute to a major VW show Very Happy

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 508, 509, 510  Next
Jump to:
Page 383 of 510

Jump to: