Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overfilled oil = leaking oil....worry or not?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Overfilled oil = leaking oil....worry or not? Reply with quote

I checked my oil the other night and it was a bit low, but in the dark I ended up putting in a lot more than I needed.

Now she's leaving a nice puddle...

could overfilling have harmed something, or is it just normal for the excess to find a way out?

is it worth trying to remove some of the overage through the filler tube?

85 GL with stock 1.9, 156k and no known rebuilds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that if you overfill it that the pressure could/will cause problems. Blowing gaskets maybe?

1980 VW Westfalia
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Overfilled oil = leaking oil....worry or not? Reply with quote

flyingCoyote wrote:
is it worth trying to remove some of the overage through the filler tube?

Yes. Or the dipstick tube, if you have a suction device.

Mostly I've heard hearsay about the dangers of overfilling, but consider the effects of having the oil level so high that it blocks off the drains built into the case, or having the camshaft thrashing around in the oil (I'm guessing you'd end up with a lot of oily froth).
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really overfill it, the engine will suck it out via the crankcase breather into the throttle body valve. You end up producing a LOT of white smoke. If you mix in some DDT you can get work as a neighborhood fogger.

I did the same thing at night in Texas. I started up down the road out of LaGrange in the morning. Everybody was passing me and giving me that damm hippy look as they roared by in their pickups. Then I happend to notice that I was causing a major traffic and breathing hazzard. I pulled over and checked my oil, yeah high. If you do not seat the dipstick all the way, it is easy to do.

I cleared up after 10 miles or so.

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up doing an oil change, even though the P.O. just had one at a quickie lube in Jan.

It's still dripping a bit. I'm afraid I might have damaged a gasket somewhere, but I didn't need to add anything on a 300 mile weekend trip so it's not that bad...yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: