Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airforceSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

If your on the fence about the general grabbers then read this.

Just drove over 6,000miles from Montana to Florida. The grabbers are absolutely amazing. Way better than the stupid bicycle tires everyone else puts on theirs. I had 30mph crosswinds and the bus didn't move out of its lane. There is no road noise like you would think, because they are off road tires. Now, for off road they are great as well! When the snow hits me here in Montana (next week).... I'll let you know how that works out. Oh and as far as the tire load. Yes it's under the required tire load but the tires showed no signs of stress and we were loaded down!!!! Yes... it's not stock or classic but if safety is a priority, then you need these grabbers.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:

I realize now you are the guy with the big engine. I am so glad for you.
I think you might be right about there being more tire choice in 15 inch. And I think 4-1/2 wheels are too narrow. There used to be Mangels wheels, Brazillian wide 5 chromed steel slotted like Porsche wheels. In 15x 5-1/2. But not sure the offset would fit the best.
Seriously, I am interested in how your bigger motor works. I'm biased towards medium sized single port stroker motors. (Like 88 by 78= 1897cc). With that motor I could run semi tires.
We're all learning here. At least I am.
Al

Moving on... I wouldn't personally call a 1776 a "big" engine, but I suppose it does offer more torque than the 1600sp it came with in 69. I have dreams of turning this 1776 into a stock appearing 1904sp, other than the exhaust. That would make for a little stump puller for sure, simple maintenance and repairs out in the bush. Maybe on the next one.
The choices for 15" tires vs 14" isn't even comparable. It's laughable. I admit 4 1/2" wheels aren't the ideal width, but as Brian mentioned they put huge tires on 3" rims through hell and back in Baja, and it's not a problem. Lots of rim protection is the name of the game in off road. Besides, wider wheels increases the cross section of the tire. I would have to go down to narrower tires in order to fit wider wheels. The reason this fits is because of the high negative offset of the narrow bus wheels. No other wheels would come close to working, I knew that going in.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

GTV, is that picture with an engine in? Enjoy doing 80 on the freeway, leave your sway bar on and you'll only fear the air blowing off the front of semi trucks.

Engine is in. The rear tires are an inch taller than the fronts, so there is a little rake. I think where I have it parked at the entrance to my garage exaggerates the rake though. I do plan on adjusting the rear down a hair to make it level.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Time for new tires... Michelin Defender LTX M/S 205/65R15 99T XL -- anyone tried these recently in a Westy? Search is coming up empty on the 'new' version - there are positive posts for the older LTX tires and, of course, GoWesty sells the non-LTX Defender tires too.

Along with the tires, I'm thinking about upgrading from the stock 14 inch steelies to some 15 or 16 inch Mercedes alloys (good used availability for less than the price of 1 15 inch steel GoWesty wheel). Need new tires, so perfect time to do both tires and wheels. Still sorting out wheels, but all of these are available locally for less than $150CDN:
15" MB El Nath (a rounded 7 spoke star) - 15x6 ET31
15" MB 15 Spoke - 15x6.5 ET37
16 MB 11 Spoke - 16x7.5 ET41

Suspect I'll be dropping T3Technique a line soon...
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
GTV wrote:
Hey ya'll, I'm thinking about buying a wide 5 early bay that has already been lifted with 2.5" spindles up front and 2.5" lift plates in the rear. It currently is running some ugly wheels (too much offset) with 215/75/15's that look too small with the lift. I have a set of bus 15's that I think would look MUCH better and have a more favorable offset. So, what size tires could I jam in there with those wheels? Is a 235/75 possible? I'd like to go as tall and wide as possible without going nuts on more suspension modifications. Any help is appreciated, thank you Smile

No thanks to the naysayers here, I answered my own question.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

235's fit, and so do 30x9.50's in the rear.

My 235/75/15 rubs occasionally on the front only, under load and flex offroad. This is with 2.25" lift spindles and similar lift in rear via cranked torsions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
GTV wrote:
GTV wrote:
Hey ya'll, I'm thinking about buying a wide 5 early bay that has already been lifted with 2.5" spindles up front and 2.5" lift plates in the rear. It currently is running some ugly wheels (too much offset) with 215/75/15's that look too small with the lift. I have a set of bus 15's that I think would look MUCH better and have a more favorable offset. So, what size tires could I jam in there with those wheels? Is a 235/75 possible? I'd like to go as tall and wide as possible without going nuts on more suspension modifications. Any help is appreciated, thank you Smile

No thanks to the naysayers here, I answered my own question.

235's fit, and so do 30x9.50's in the rear.

My 235/75/15 rubs occasionally on the front only, under load and flex offroad. This is with 2.25" lift spindles and similar lift in rear via cranked torsions.

I've noticed the same, it's pretty minor though. The problem lies in the design of the suspension. Under compression not only does the wheel go up, it goes back as the trailing arm rotates. I've considered a few solutions... Stepping down to a 225/75 (although I don't believe the Grabbers are available in that size). Fitting a HD sway bar to reduce flex (may not allow the tire to rub, but kinda pointless on an off roader). Installing adjusters, I believe this would be the best solution. Not only would it give additional lift, it would rotate the trailing arms forward and not allow the tire to go back as far under compression. I think very very little adjuster lift would actually be needed. I believe if you only used adjusters instead of spindles the 235's would work with the same, or possibly even less lift than just the spindles.

Anyway, food for thought for anyone considering something similar.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

With that much lift, could you relocate the beam so it sits 1/2" - 3/4" forward on the frame? that would provide tire clearance to the rear edge of the wheel well under full suspension compression.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
With that much lift, could you relocate the beam so it sits 1/2" - 3/4" forward on the frame? that would provide tire clearance to the rear edge of the wheel well under full suspension compression.

I don't see why not, but that sounds like a lot more work to me unless you know of an easy way to do it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I don't see why not, but that sounds like a lot more work to me unless you know of an easy way to do it.

If it were easy, everyone would do it. Wink
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
GTV wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

If it were easy, everyone would do it. Wink

From here, it looks like the front tires are kinda sticking out to far. Could a guy make some custom rims that had more offset? Would moving the tire inward, say an inch give you the clearance. Then again I might not be seeing it correctly?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:

From here, it looks like the front tires are kinda sticking out to far. Could a guy make some custom rims that had more offset? Would moving the tire inward, say an inch give you the clearance. Then again I might not be seeing it correctly?
Al

My front tires sit pretty well flush with the body. You aren't going to find wheels that have more negative offset than early bus wheels (even making them would be difficult I imagine). The only thing that adds to the track in my case is the lifted/welded spindles, about a half inch on each side.

I like how this fits personally.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

Do you like the fit more than you like the wheels not rubbing?

I like the way it looks too. That thing looks like it can go anywhere, but if it rubs when trying to make it go 'anywhere' isn't that counter productive? Basically, if you can't use the lift, why do it?

If I had to choose, I would take not rubbing over an extra inch. My Bus, with stock suspension, has taken me places I probably should not have asked her to take me. Razz

What is the solution you have in mind? It would be great to have the lift and no rubbing.

My 1968 Campmobile
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
GTV wrote:

Do you like the fit more than you like the wheels not rubbing?

I like the way it looks too. That thing looks like it can go anywhere, but if it rubs when trying to make it go 'anywhere' isn't that counter productive? Basically, if you can't use the lift, why do it?

If I had to choose, I would take not rubbing over an extra inch. My Bus, with stock suspension, has taken me places I probably should not have asked her to take me. Razz

What is the solution you have in mind? It would be great to have the lift and no rubbing.

Of course I don't like the rubbing. But it is very minor so for the time being I'll deal with it. And that's easy to say now, I have driven it very little (working out axle issues).
I think the simplest and best solution is to install adjusters. But that's not exactly easy, it would require a entire beam tear down. I'm not up for that right now.

I could see myself building a version 2.0 in the future if the right bus (a tin top Westy) comes along. I'd use an adjustable beam and 225/75's, adjusted up just enough for tire clearance.
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just thought I would pass these along

$48.99 - Sigma Ranger R101 - tires | Buy Sigma Ranger R101 tires at SimpleTire
https://simpletire.com/sigma-185-r14c-th0304-tires...fgodWnsKgQ

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?gcl...21014447:s

Last edited by mtcamper on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

mtcamper wrote:
Just thought I would pass these along.
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?gcl...21014447:s

That is very interesting.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

^ yea it is! I need new tires, and this looks like a bargain. I also have a buddy that owns storage units, and he told me to take anything I wanted from his pile of abandoned tires, but they are all 15s and up. ( most still have the stickers, and are only a year old!!) I was wondering if there was any 15/16/17 rim that was direct bolt on, without embiggen the hub, or longer studs. OR just embiggen the hub. Search kicked my ass on this. sooooo much to weed thru.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
embiggen the hub.

This word made me giggle.

Check this thread for wheels. Vanagon forum, but very good info...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203519
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

it is a perfectly cromulent word
thanks for the direct.
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Quote:
If you can't dazzle them with brillance, then buffalo them with bullshit.

I resemble that remark Shocked

How about the Cooper Weather Master 1521lbs per

78 Westy GVWR for the front is 2227 lbs. and the rear is 2800 lbs. So, "S4.2.2.3 (a) For vehicles equipped with P-metric tires, the vehicle
normal load on the tire shall be no greater than the value of 94 percent
of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended
cold inflation pressure for that tire. " the 1521 more than meets the requirement. Check your facts before you call bull shit on me, looks to me that the spec is 94%, and the loads I am talking about are for a late model westy, aren't the passenger models sprung softly with lower GVWRs?

By the way, I run Yoko Y356D with a 1850lb rating.

Clue me in please. So the rear axle (where all the weight is) needs a tire capable of 1400 lbs each but how does the 94 percent figure into your explanation?

Thanks.
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.jsp

That'll help going from the old sizes to modern sizes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 169 of 198

Jump to: