Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $50 a tire plus shipping, mounting, new valve stem, disposal of old tires, plus anything else the guy that is going to mount them can think of, will be added to that $50.

I like to shop online for prices and then make an informed purchase locally. You might get a free alignment, rotation, or road hazard replacement, for those $100 each, out the door tires.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bicycle tires cost more than $50 each these days.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:

This is 100% true, the Maxis UST tires on my mtb are $59.99/ea retail.

I would like to say that my RA08s killed it on my comute home Friday night. The highway was a sheet of ice with about an inch of snow on it, it was slicker then grease. My tires stuck to the rod and didn't slip once, I passed 4 SUVs that had spun of the road. Go Hankooks!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
melville wrote:

This is 100% true, the Maxis UST tires on my mtb are $59.99/ea retail.

I would like to say that my RA08s killed it on my comute home Friday night. The highway was a sheet of ice with about an inch of snow on it, it was slicker then grease. My tires stuck to the rod and didn't slip once, I passed 4 SUVs that had spun of the road. Go Hankooks!

Now that's a good recommendation!!! Hankooks pay for themselves.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting Kooks!!!
I would like to get them now but I won't be driving until snow is gone(May) and I see the warranty is only 45day return? ,Guess I'm going to hold off awhile Crying or Very sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freak7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ive read and i know etc etc all the "correct" tire measures (AFTER I BOUGHT MY TIRES)... and now im worried.

For my 68 i bought 205/70/R14... I thought "why not give it some more height". Im going on a very long road trip soon, about 10.000km. Is what i bought dangerous? Am i loosing a lot of safety?

Should i try to change em (Ive been using them for about 2 weeks so i'll lose lots of money) to 185/70/R14 or should i stick with the ones i got? Ive used it mostly on highway/city driving and i felt good with the driving (but i was also using different sized/diff brand cracked 8 year old tires before, one even had a tube, 3 tubeless)
Thanks for any comments

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bugginDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

205/70R14 is pretty darn close to stock. As for highway speed safety, I am running Hankook Optimo H724 215/75R14 on all four corners of my 1971 Single Cab and drive at highway speeds almost every day. I feel very safe, even in high winds.

...just my $0.02
2016 GMC Canyon
freak7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your $0.02!
Thanks, makes me feel much better. I had just read this whole article:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Tires.html

and saw no mention at all of my size and was getting worried. Thanks again
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna skip the Chinese tires. Still want the Hankooks for quality and durability.

Right now, Performance Plus has them on sale for $69 each through Feb 28, but only in the 195/70R15 size. How would that compare to the stock size of 185R14? They would be slightly fatter wouldn't they?

http://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/hankook-tire/radial-ra08-o-e-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak7 wrote:
Hey ive read and i know etc etc all the "correct" tire measures (AFTER I BOUGHT MY TIRES)... and now im worried.

For my 68 i bought 205/70/R14... I thought "why not give it some more height". Im going on a very long road trip soon, about 10.000km. Is what i bought dangerous? Am i loosing a lot of safety?

Should i try to change em (Ive been using them for about 2 weeks so i'll lose lots of money) to 185/70/R14 or should i stick with the ones i got? Ive used it mostly on highway/city driving and i felt good with the driving (but i was also using different sized/diff brand cracked 8 year old tires before, one even had a tube, 3 tubeless)

I feel that you will be losing out. First you did not go larger with the 205/70 you went smaller. Profile on the correct 185R/14c is 80. No profile is used in the correct comerical size.

I ran "P" rated tires for 3 years with out knowing any better. Here is what I found. The "P" tires suck in the wind (lots of wind-wag), the side wall is not strong enough (4 ply instead of the correct 6 ply) and will cup, this will expose your side walls to rocks on dirt roads and you will get a flat (happened to me). Finally the correct tire will handle the turns and stop better.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a kick out of the cheap or lazy bus owners that rationalize putting underrated tires on their ride because the correct ones cost 80-100 bucks ea, or they don't like the look, or because they have to find a dealer that carries the brand and then order them. I don't know if its ignorant arrogance, or stupid youth. There are several tires mentioned in this thread that fit the bill but these entertaining morons keep insisting on P metric passenger car tires that can't even support an old school station wagon with out wiggling its ass! Unbelievable. Good info right in front of your eyes yet so many read it and ignore it because they think they know better. Where's the the story of that girl whose Bus just up and rolled on her, from a few years ago?

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
I get a kick out of the cheap or lazy bus owners that rationalize putting underrated tires on their ride because the correct ones cost 80-100 bucks ea, or they don't like the look, or because they have to find a dealer that carries the brand and then order them. I don't know if its ignorant arrogance, or stupid youth. There are several tires mentioned in this thread that fit the bill but these entertaining morons keep insisting on P metric passenger car tires that can't even support an old school station wagon with out wiggling its ass! Unbelievable. Good info right in front of your eyes yet so many read it and ignore it because they think they know better. Where's the the story of that girl whose Bus just up and rolled on her, from a few years ago?

Bill

Let me get this straight. Everyone always posts about how cheap they can get a set of Hankooks but somehow when they buy well engineered passenger tires that typically cost more than truck tires they are being cheap???

Check the numbers, a P215/70r14 typically weights the same or a pound or two more than a 185r14 (installed they are very close to the same height and width) and will hold up just as well or better in highway service. All 185r14s have 2 ply side walls just the same as most passenger tires. I have certainly gotten more punctures when running those supposedly indestructible truck tires than when running car tires. Heck I had one truck tire get a puncture from a nail before the tire ever made it onto the car, it somehow picked up a nail just being rolled across the garage floor. Unbelievable.

Most brands of 185r14 truck tires, specifically Hankooks, only come with thread designs totally unsuitable for use in snow and because they have few cuts in the tread to expel water may also be subject to hydroplaning, especially on the front of a lightly loaded bus. If you are driving a Combi Collectivo on the potholed streets of Mexico City then a 185r14 is probably the way to go, but on US highways a P215/70r14 with an all weather tread design will be a very suitable tire for most people.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Most brands of 185r14 truck tires, specifically Hankooks, only come with thread designs totally unsuitable for use in snow and because they have few cuts in the tread to expel water may also be subject to hydroplaning, especially on the front of a lightly loaded bus.

How many people here drive their bus in the snow? I do and the Hankooks work fine, there not a winter tire but they do work well.
"P" tires would have thrown me off the road yesterday in the huge wind storm I was in. I was one of the people who didn't listen to to sticky and bought "P" tires. I can tell you there is a major difference in the handling of the bus. People don't have to listen to the advice of the posters here but to say that there isn't a difference is crazy.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak7, because the tire threads, turn into rants...
I'm going to try and put in my $0.02 without being castrated, or excommunicated.

For your immediate trip, will your tires be ok?
Statistically, yes.

Most of us have in the past (while some continue to) run passenger tires.
I had driven on passenger tires for easily 5 years, and never had ONE issue.
After reading so many people's stories when the time came to buy new tires I of course did upgrade to the correct Hankooks.
It is a personal decision, one that you will be chastised for by the keyboard God's that envoke the power of TheSamba.

You should look to get the correct tires when you can.
Does the potential exsist that you will have a blow out on the passenger tires?
Yes

Is there a VAST improvement in the bus' handling with the correct tire?
Yes

Could I be hit by space debris as it plummets back to Earth?
Yes

Did I just spill my coffee?
No

Just the same 6000+ miles IS a healthy road trip. So if you can't buy new tires yet just be mindful of the bus' handling in cross winds and keep an eye on the tires when you stop every few hundred miles.
Nothing that bus owners haven't been dealing with for decades just the same!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I know folks with passenger tires, they live on. Since the introduction of the internet, it is common to research and review tires for vehicles but it was not like that before the web. It used to be that you just went to a tire store and bought tires in the size you needed, or whatever was close and in stock. People bought passenger tires for buses and wagons because that's what buses and wagons are, passenger carrying vehicles. Only nowadays is the public informed on stuff like this, no one knew vw buses were 1 ton rated rigs back in the old days and no tire store would ever tell a customer "sorry we don't have 185r70 tires, be safe and buy from somewhere else". Maybe the big reason why people consider vw buses unsafe was because millions of them had bogus passenger tires and that resulted in a lot of wrecks?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Freak7, because the tire threads, turn into rants...
I'm going to try and put in my $0.02 without being castrated, or excommunicated.

For your immediate trip, will your tires be ok?
Statistically, yes.

Most of us have in the past (while some continue to) run passenger tires.
I had driven on passenger tires for easily 5 years, and never had ONE issue.
After reading so many people's stories when the time came to buy new tires I of course did upgrade to the correct Hankooks.
It is a personal decision, one that you will be chastised for by the keyboard God's that envoke the power of TheSamba.

You should look to get the correct tires when you can.
Does the potential exsist that you will have a blow out on the passenger tires?
Yes

Is there a VAST improvement in the bus' handling with the correct tire?
Yes

Could I be hit by space debris as it plummets back to Earth?
Yes

Did I just spill my coffee?
No

Just the same 6000+ miles IS a healthy road trip. So if you can't buy new tires yet just be mindful of the bus' handling in cross winds and keep an eye on the tires when you stop every few hundred miles.
Nothing that bus owners haven't been dealing with for decades just the same!

This.
Green70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostorbit wrote:
I'm gonna skip the Chinese tires. Still want the Hankooks for quality and durability.

Right now, Performance Plus has them on sale for $69 each through Feb 28, but only in the 195/70R15 size. How would that compare to the stock size of 185R14? They would be slightly fatter wouldn't they?

http://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/hankook-tire/radial-ra08-o-e-

Other than being different rim sizes its not that much of a difference! This is huge!!! I was one of the ones that had 15" wide five rims that came with my bus when I got it. I was trying really hard to find some 15" proper tires, but all I got was ignorant responses from people saying that VW never meant for the bus to have 15" wheels. Well...they did... I'm glad that I now know what to look for when I replace my passenger tires. I got tires with high lbs rating, but sacrificed the sidewall strengths because I just couldn't find info on it. Now I know what I need!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Most brands of 185r14 truck tires, specifically Hankooks, only come with thread designs totally unsuitable for use in snow and because they have few cuts in the tread to expel water may also be subject to hydroplaning, especially on the front of a lightly loaded bus.

How many people here drive their bus in the snow? I do and the Hankooks work fine, there not a winter tire but they do work well.

I drive my buses and Vanagons year around as do my family members, the second year I let my kids take my bus to take to college I decided to try Hankooks on it for them. The first snow storm they called up saying they couldn't get up the same hills they had routinely gone up the year before with Michelin Ice X tires on the back, so I called a local tire shop and had the almost brand new Hankooks removed and had decent tires put on. Note there had been no improvement in the handling what so ever in going to the 185r14 from the mismatched set of 205/70r14 Michelins on the back and fairly worn 215/70r14 brand X on the front, had the shop that had installed the Michelins not installed 205/70r14s on the back instead of the 215/70r14's that had been on there I would not have bothered changing out the tires to 185r14's to begin with.

The 195r14 Hankooks I tried on my Vanagon also have done poorly. There is no way they can safely handle as much weight as the 215/70r14s that were on there previously could. At about 800# of load the famed Hankooks get squirrelly and go all over the road. To keep it on the road when heavily loaded I have had to max out the pressure which has cause the tires to wear badly in the centers and causes a really harsh ride.

All the know nothings declare that because the diminutive P185/70r14s don't work well on a bus that all passenger tires, even the 185r14 reinforced passenger tires many of these buses came with shouldn't be used, what rubbish.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way that any radial not just the RA08 can compare to a snow tire, in the snow.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
There is no way that any radial not just the RA08 can compare to a snow tire, in the snow.

My snow tires are radials. I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 139 of 198

Jump to: