Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hey Robbie, would you be so kind as to measure the depth of the tread before you pickle them away? They look like they have some serious meat on 'em.

Thanks!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Just FYI the 195/75 R14 BFG KO's are being discontinued. If you want some try to find them now because they are not making a KO2 replacement.

Last edited by khalimadeath on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I was looking for tires for my bug, I came to realization:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BFG Radial T/A are probably good

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Hey Robbie, would you be so kind as to measure the depth of the tread before you pickle them away? They look like they have some serious meat on 'em.

Hi Busstom,
I'll get out and measure tomorrow, but I'm not sure how accurate I can get without my depth gauge or depth micrometer. I will also take a reading on my 185's, which still have more depth than I previous thought on them.

richparker wrote:

Thanks to tire rack:

Before storing, use a tire brush to clean each tire with soap and water to remove brake dust, dirt and grime. If the tires are still mounted on wheels, use a wheel brush to clean the wheels with an approved cleaner as well. Dry with a towel and let any remaining moisture thoroughly evaporate.
DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.
Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37

Thanks for the copy-paste Rich, even if the site goes down we'll have the good info stored here. Cool

Now how many gallons is a tire………
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Hi Busstom,
I'll get out and measure tomorrow, but I'm not sure how accurate I can get without my depth gauge or depth micrometer. I will also take a reading on my 185's, which still have more depth than I previous thought on them.

Copy. I went pretty unscientific...used two straight metal rulers (one for straight edge, one for measuring), and also the depth rod on the tail of my digital caliper...I guess I got it within 10 thou or so.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

OK so I have the skinny on the new (to the USA) Hankook RA18. It is largely similar to the RA08 we all know and love, with one notable difference. While the RA08 is solidly an All Season tire, the RA18 may be slightly less "all season." Let me explain. Both tires carry the M&S rating, meaning that they meet U.S. industry standards for "mud and snow" driving. But not all M&S tires are equal because the standards are fairly broad. The actual tread pattern on the RA08 is a bit more aggressive and probably better suited for winter driving (although still not comparable to an actual snow tire).

Hankook themselves seem to recognize this difference, in that they sold the RA08 as an All Season tire but are waffling a bit on the RA18 - In a press release they promoted it as All Season (and they put the M&S logo on the sidewall), yet online they call it a Summer tire. That being said, it is still an M&S tire and a better choice for year-round use than most competing tires that are strictly summer-only (the Conti's, Yoko's, etc.).

In terms of independent road test rankings, both versions have placed at the top and seem to be relatively comparable. Several years ago the German publication Promobil gave the RA08 top honors in head-to-head braking and handling testing against Michelins and other tires, using Mercedes Sprinter sized vans. Similarly, in a subsequent version of the same test, the RA18 was the top pick. The magazine concluded, "The best tyre under wet conditions, and not impeded in the dry, the new Hankook is clearly the winner." It was the only tire that received their "Very Good" rating, while the Conti and Michelin got "satisfactory." As for Hankook themselves, their promotional literature says the RA18 has slightly better treadwear and rolling resistance than the RA08, although it provides no actual specs to support those claims.

So where does this leave you? Short-term, while we still have RA08's (http://www.busdepot.com/ra08), you have a choice. If you anticipate doing any cold weather driving I'd definitely snag some RA08's while you still can, as they appear to be somewhat better suited for that with no real downside. However, once they're gone, it seems that the RA18's will still be the best of the remaining highway tires, given their excellent test performance and the fact that they are M&S rated unlike most of the competition. We will have RA18's in both 185R14 and 195R14 sizes in a few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I very much wanted to go with the 195/75/14 bfg all terrain tires but it looks like a combination of availability and me wanting to convert to disc brakes warrants the need for 15 inch wheels. Are the 205/75/15 general grabbers as good? Is there an all terrain tire that more similar to the 195/75/14 overall size in 15 inch that you guys recommend? It looks like the 205/75/15 is quite a bit bigger than the 195 and about 4 mph off at 60.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I just ordered 5 of the Hankook 195r14c if anyone is wondering this place still had more. http://simpletire.com/hankook-195-r14-2000180-tires?gclid=CI6K9qb7rssCFYIBaQodVLoHWg
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:
I just ordered 5 of the Hankook 195r14c if anyone is wondering this place still had more. http://simpletire.com/hankook-195-r14-2000180-tires?gclid=CI6K9qb7rssCFYIBaQodVLoHWg

that site is notorious for taking any order even by phone, then letting you know the next day they are out of stock.
Let us know if it works out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Got my 5 tires today after ordering yesterday. Wow that was fast I'll get some picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
OK so I have the skinny on the new (to the USA) Hankook RA18. It is largely similar to the RA08 we all know and love, with one notable difference. While the RA08 is solidly an All Season tire, the RA18 may be slightly less "all season." Let me explain. Both tires carry the M&S rating, meaning that they meet U.S. industry standards for "mud and snow" driving. But not all M&S tires are equal because the standards are fairly broad. The actual tread pattern on the RA08 is a bit more aggressive and probably better suited for winter driving (although still not comparable to an actual snow tire).

Hankook themselves seem to recognize this difference, in that they sold the RA08 as an All Season tire but are waffling a bit on the RA18 - In a press release they promoted it as All Season (and they put the M&S logo on the sidewall), yet online they call it a Summer tire. That being said, it is still an M&S tire and a better choice for year-round use than most competing tires that are strictly summer-only (the Conti's, Yoko's, etc.).

In terms of independent road test rankings, both versions have placed at the top and seem to be relatively comparable. Several years ago the German publication Promobil gave the RA08 top honors in head-to-head braking and handling testing against Michelins and other tires, using Mercedes Sprinter sized vans. Similarly, in a subsequent version of the same test, the RA18 was the top pick. The magazine concluded, "The best tyre under wet conditions, and not impeded in the dry, the new Hankook is clearly the winner." It was the only tire that received their "Very Good" rating, while the Conti and Michelin got "satisfactory." As for Hankook themselves, their promotional literature says the RA18 has slightly better treadwear and rolling resistance than the RA08, although it provides no actual specs to support those claims.

So where does this leave you? Short-term, while we still have RA08's (http://www.busdepot.com/ra08), you have a choice. If you anticipate doing any cold weather driving I'd definitely snag some RA08's while you still can, as they appear to be somewhat better suited for that with no real downside. However, once they're gone, it seems that the RA18's will still be the best of the remaining highway tires, given their excellent test performance and the fact that they are M&S rated unlike most of the competition. We will have RA18's in both 185R14 and 195R14 sizes in a few weeks.

I'm not finding the RA18's on your site. I'm in Northern California and more than likely will not be driving in snow. So the longer tread life appeals to me with the RA18.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

The RA18's aren't in yet. The shipment left later than promised so it's looking like it will be April before we see them. I'll post an update when they're in. We do still have RA08's at this time.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
The RA18's aren't in yet. The shipment left later than promised so it's looking like it will be April before we see them. I'll post an update when they're in. We do still have RA08's at this time.

Do you expect the RA18's to be the same price?
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Yes.
ZachL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:
Got my 5 tires today after ordering yesterday
Wow, can't beat that. I've had somewhat fast shipping with onlinetires.com and tires-easy.com too. Usually 3-4 days.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:

I have a set of those. They have some real meat in them. Note that they are rated "D" or the equiv of 8 plys. Load index of 106.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Yes sir look good not quite ready for them but hearing that they wouldn't be around for much longer I called and said I want to make sure they had them in hand. Very pleased with how quick they showed up,Never had such fast shipping before. Can't wait to test them out as I hear good things
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: navigator ecosaver tires 195 x 75 r14 anyone tried? Reply with quote

Combinations wrote:
I am curious to see if anyone tried these Navigator ecosaver tires? I got a quote from Mavis they're having a buy 3 get 4, they quoted me $260 four the four tires mounted and balanced!

Any experiences with these gums anyone?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
richparker wrote:
...Please do a full write up after you have driven for some time...

Most definitely, I'm dying to drive this Bus. I think I put all of 10 miles on it since I got it, then discovered the heads are toast.

H.A.M. Blueprint Specials are due to arrive any day now, but the motor's on my garage floor, waiting for me to tear into it and discover just how toast it really is.

More on that later!

I know it's been less than a month but any updates? Are you back on the road yet?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I know it's been less than a month but any updates? Are you back on the road yet?

Hi, I'm moving along, but not back on the road yet. I figured now is the time to pull the gas tank and all that other fun stuff while the engine is out.

Wheels go off to powdercoat this Thursday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 158 of 198

Jump to: