Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

it's a slippery slope, bringing RPMS down increases engine load and slows the cooling fan. but the good thing is you'll be in 3rd gear sooner when entering a hill so then the rpms and cooling are better matched to the work (load) at hand.
the problem is that the bay engine/trans gearing was set up for a 55mph national speed limit. now we want to go 65+ for extended durations.
box12360 wrote:
I'm currently running a 5 rib transmission with 4.87 gears (rebuilt 1700 motor) and at 65 MPH I'm pushing 4000 RPM with hankook RA08 185/14 Tires. I would like to get the RPM's down to at lest 3700-3500 running 65. Are there any recommendations on taller tires?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
"...the problem is that the bay engine/trans gearing was set up for a 55mph national speed limit..."

This is something that a lot of people don't realize.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
"...the problem is that the bay engine/trans gearing was set up for a 55mph national speed limit..."

This is something that a lot of people don't realize.

Oh I realize this everytime I drive down the freeway doing 60-62 hoping someone doing 75-80+ doesn't rear end me. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

The factory rated cruise was around 68 mph on late splittys and early bays. the type 4 bays were rated at around 78 mph.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

roadron wrote:
The factory rated cruise was around 68 mph on late splittys and early bays. the type 4 bays were rated at around 78 mph.

This is taken directly from the 68 Bay Window Bus VW owners manual here on thesamba. Max cruising speed is 65mph.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/68bus.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
roadron wrote:

This is taken directly from the 68 Bay Window Bus VW owners manual here on thesamba. Max cruising speed is 65mph.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/68bus.php

[img]

Maximum/cruising speeds for manual transaxle buses, straight from the owner's manuals:

Up to 1970: 65mph
1971: 68 mph (Thanks, doghouse oil cooler, dual port heads, and power disc brakes!)
1972-1973: 78 mph
1974-1975: 79 mph(!)
1976*-1979: 75 mph

*my '76 paper manual said 75mph max, but the PDF hosted on this site says 79mph. There is no engine/transaxle differences from '76 to '77, so 75mph is more likely.

There are important differences in the torque/horsepower curves that correspond beautifully to gearing and final drive ration changes within the engineered setups. Or course, non-factory-blessed tire sizes or engines throw all of this out the window.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I got my set of five Hankook RA08 - 195 tires today. Cool They are from Sears of all places... and no one else I checked had them. But it was a big hassle due to some unrecognizable problems between ordering them online (as I did) and using a super secret Sears phone number directly to Sears Automotive. It took a month to get here, with a lot of confused Customer Service escapades.

Equally ridiculous is no Sears Auto Center can order them by name. They say there is no information on them. The easiest way to order them is by calling the Super Secret phone number to Sears Automotive directly: (888) 820 - 3352 and you WILL need the Item Number: 09535849 and they will be a Special Order. They cost me $122.96 each free delivery to my nearest Sears Automotive Center. No mounting requirements or other services needed, just order and pick up. As of this writing, I confirmed with them there are 97 of them in the national warehouse system. Don't wait too long to buy them!

The date code is from March of 2016, so they are already about nine months old, but I am OK with that. Nine months in a warehouse is better than nine months outside on a bus. All five had the same date code. I will apply these to our 1987 Westfalia, and move those Hankooks over to our 1978 bus. Very Happy

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Nice find! My set, which was the last set of 195 RA08 Hankook's that Bus Depot ever had, is dated 4/2014. I bought them in 2015 and mounted them in May. You should feel good about your date code! Cool
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Yeah, these are great tires! Always want the freshest stuff, but when you think about where these were made and the supply chain process, March of 2016 isn't really that old. Thanks for the tip about the RA18's Cool
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

DATE code 3216 means 32nd week of 2016 not march .your tires are newer than you imagined
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

roadron wrote:
DATE code 3216 means 32nd week of 2016 not march .your tires are newer than you imagined

Yep. That is like August or thereabouts.
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about the Yokohama Y370? Looks like an all-weather version of the Y356. It's available in 195/75r14.

I'm limited for options in Canada, seems like most of the previous suitable tires here have all been discontinued.
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Smushy wrote:
Anyone know anything about the Yokohama Y370? Looks like an all-weather version of the Y356. It's available in 195/75r14.

I'm limited for options in Canada, seems like most of the previous suitable tires here have all been discontinued.

I think it is actually a pretty good bus tire as it has a load index of 102 and is rated as a 8 ply tire.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

can you get Vredestein Comtrac 195r14?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-NEW-Vredestein-Comtrac-All-Season-195R14C-C-6PR-BSW-/331858393711
why wouldn't they ship to Canada if it's listed on fleabay.CA?

Smushy wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
can you get Vredestein Comtrac 195r14?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-NEW-Vredestein-Comtrac-All-Season-195R14C-C-6PR-BSW-/331858393711
why wouldn't they ship to Canada if it's listed on fleabay.CA?

Not sure but they won't ship to Canada on that listing, not to mention with international shipping costs it places many USA offers off the table. I'll probably go with the Yokohama Y370 as I can get them decently priced and I'll return with my findings in a couple months.
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Part of the reason is likely that some Canadian provinces require that the manufactures of the tires have the liability exposure for disposing of the worn out tires.

The buyer of the new tires likely pays a few buck more when they buy them to allow for the worn tires to be recycled for free.

A number of tire manufactures just don't sell any tires in those provinces to keep themselves out of the program.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mtcamper wrote:
Just thought I would pass these along.
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?gcl...21014447:s

That is very interesting.

Wondering if anyone has tried these out yet on there bus? I need to replace my BF 27x8.5R14's and I and thinking these or the grabbers. Only draw back to these is that they are directional, so no rotating left to right.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

One of my LTS got bought out by Point S, big in the PNW and Canada. When I was there getting new Grabbers on my truck I asked about bus tires. I was told they have plenty of RA08s in the warehouse. Just passing the info along.

That's great info on that owners manual page. My bus, even with the 2175, matches those max speeds and that fuel consumption. But not the HP or anywhere near the oil consumption they state.
’65 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
One of my LTS got bought out by Point S

Translation?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

^Local Tire Shop
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 171 of 198

Jump to: