Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 2L HPMX carbs
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzhayward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: 914 2L HPMX carbs Reply with quote

I have a 914 that I want to carb. It has a 2 L . Whats the deal with the HPMX carbs. Are they worth looking at? 40's or 44s? For new, the price looks attractive. Any experience with these would be welcomed. Thank you,
Joe
MattsVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people will call them crap. The biggest issue is that your cam is made for FI. That will cause some driveability issues.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the same thing. Did lots of searching here and another forum and there were dozens of reports on how crappy they were. Most of these postings were a few years old though.....

The later postings I found had some good things to say about them. One of the carburator gurus, Harney from http://www.carburetorclinic.com/ (he's also a member here "COFBack") actually voluteered to set some up for free anyone that wanted these sorted out.

What he found was all the later model carbs needed was a dissassembly and thorough cleaning prior to using. They also needed the float set and and a fuel pressure regulated to 3-3.5lbs, no more. That and setting the “Lean Best Idle” Procedures should get you going. From there you have to do your regular Weber carb tuning. All the Weber IDF parts fit these carbs.

I bought a set but haven't installed them yet as my engine is on the building stand. The carbs will be ready once the engine is. Probably around the 1st of the year for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
zzhayward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have them up and running soon. I understand there is a difference between a carbed and a FI cam. From what I can find out, a FI cam can handle carbs better than a carb cam can handle a FI. We shall see. I bought the 40's.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ordered the 40's. Now I need to find a set of turbo hats for mine as well.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont care for the empi hpmx carbs I have run them before and the quality just isnt there
offrdbus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both 44 Webers new ones
And 44 HPMX older ones. When I switched to Webers I really did not notice a difference between the two.
The newer HPMX are probably a little better too.
MG
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed sevaral sets of them last 6 months are so.Both dual 40's and dual 44's. All worked great but one set of 40's ran real rich at idle.I been doing this stuff along time and i just could not get them to settle in.I called Empi and they said send them back.They sent another set and they worked great.Get them from someone who sells a lot of Empi stuff and has recent new stock and you should be ok.The newer inspected and test ran carbs have dates and serial numbers scribed on the bottom mount/ base flanges.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Spend a couple hundred extra dollars, and do it right the first time. A properly setup/jetted set of Webers will provide you (and the subsequent owners), with many, many miles of driving pleasure.

The only time I buy anything from EMPI is when I have no other choice. At best, their products are 2nd rate. At worst, absolute rubbish.

Do the right thing, and support high quality manufactures.

Regards,

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: