Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Keith wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
lustig69 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

And lustig69 what the heck is that? A special locking rear hatch deal?

Treasure chest lock for a '68

So! what exactly is a VW Type 2 treasure chest and in what kind of VW Type 2 would one find it; a single or double-cab pickup maybe!?!

A treasure chest is in a single or double cab. Some models had optional double treasure chests.

The double cabs Type 2 did not have a treasure chest -- they had acess to that storage space under the rear seat. I have seen double cab Vanagon pickups with a small treasure chest door, however.

Here is an example of a 1975 single cab with double treasure chest doors:
(M-code 071)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So! You're referring to the storage locker, beneath the pick-up load bed, as being a "treasure chest". Confused

I wondered whether you might have been referring to a factory-fitted security safe of some sort, for the storage of money, passports and vehicle registration documents, etc!?!

Wow I had a brain fart that morning when I wrote double cabs had treasure chests, I KNOW they don't...

Nigel, I can't understand how you are the editor of a transporter magazine and part of a type 2 club and have never heard the storage area on a single cab being called a "treasure chest"?

Take a look at this link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Terminology in Great Britain, where we communicate in BRITISH (i.e. English, Scotch, Welsh & Irish) English, differs in many respects from that in other "English-speaking" countries.

Right-hand drive, 1968~79 VW Type 2 single-cab & double-cab pickups, are something of a rarity in Great Britain. I'm not sure that I have ever seen one here and I've only seen maybe one or two right-hand drive 1980~92 VW Transporter T3 (i.e. Vanagon in North American terminology) single-cab & double-cab pickups, in the past 30 years or so!

I don't have the time or all-embracing interest, to research & read EVERY post on The Samba forum and every other VW Transporter related forum around the World.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I don't have the time or all-embracing interest, to research & read EVERY post on The Samba forum and every other VW Transporter related forum around the World.

You would probably have the time if every one of your posts wasn't a novel. Man your posts make my brain hurt sometimes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarest of the rare Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:

Never seen that! Very cool...OEM?? If legit, what years was that offered?

Now you've done it, take cover, thread bomb incoming Shocked

You cant say you were not properly warned Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Right-hand drive, 1968~79 VW Type 2 single-cab & double-cab pickups, are something of a rarity in Great Britain. I'm not sure that I have ever seen one here.

Interesting. I see them now and them in British movies like The Snapper and The Committments so I thought that they were more common.

chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
Right-hand drive, 1968~79 VW Type 2 single-cab & double-cab pickups, are something of a rarity in Great Britain. I'm not sure that I have ever seen one here.

Interesting. I see them now and them in British movies like The Snapper and The Committments so I thought that they were more common.

RHD single and double cabs are a very rare sight here in Great Britain, in fact I can't remember seeing any in recent memory.

Both The Commitments and The Snapper are Irish films, not British. Yes both Great Britain and Ireland (Eire) are the largest two islands of the 136 islands that make up the British Isles, and notwithstanding Northern Ireland that is a (long disputed) part of the UK, they are seperate sovereign states. Both countries are Right Hand Drive, as in we drive on the correct side of the road Wink

The Type 2 T2 was assembled in Ireland from CKD (Complete knock down) kits manufactured and imported from Germany, and the Irish had a plentiful domestic supply. Whether many single and double cabs survive in Ireland today I don't know. Sadly the climate in the British Isles means a lot of the old commerical vehicles that were genuine workhorses have ended up in the big scrap yard in the sky. More on VW in Ireland here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Volkswagen_in_Ireland

http://eircooled.com/home/

http://www.type2ireland.org/forum/index.php

Nigel, above you talk about English but then mention T3 / Vanagon, you forgot the British English name for them being T25. Do they prefer to call them T3 or T25 in Ireland?

Edit: That should read 136 permanently inhabited islands, there are over 6,000 actual islands including all the rocky outcrops,
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)

Last edited by chimneyfish on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Those movies were made by the BBC so they are somewhat British, but of course they take place in Ireland. I never thought that there would be a VW disparity in two countries that share a border.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know there was a BBC connection? Maybe Channel 4 which funds independent films. Have you seen the third film in the trilogy, "The Van"?

Anyway, our buses in the UK were direct German imports, I don't know if any Irish assembled buses made it here as new for sale, on the face of it would think so, but there were a lot of import tarrifs and protectionist car industry policies throughout the UK and Europe in the 1970s so probably not.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Interesting. Those movies were made by the BBC so they are somewhat British, but of course they take place in Ireland. I never thought that there would be a VW disparity in two countries that share a border.

Huh? Hombre, you never noticed what's just South of San Diego, Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas? Now & over many years, lotsa dubs we never got here. And they're even correctly assembled with LHD, for driving on the Right (and proper!) side of the road! Check out http://www.vw.com.mx/es.html

The Puebla, Mexico-assembled VWs that US & Canadian VW dealerships do sell are all specifically-made for US & Canada, equipped for our safety & emissions standards, as well as being mandated with many "upgrades" to command the prices / profits VAG wants to squeeze from norteamericanos.
68 Westy
(+ others)
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Huh? Hombre, you never noticed what's just South of San Diego, Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas? Now & over many years, lotsa dubs we never got here. And they're even correctly assembled with LHD, for driving on the Right (and proper!) side of the road! Check out http://www.vw.com.mx/es.html

The Puebla, Mexico-assembled VWs that US & Canadian VW dealerships do sell are all specifically-made for US & Canada, equipped for our safety & emissions standards, as well as being mandated with many "upgrades" to command the prices / profits VAG wants to squeeze from norteamericanos.

Yes, and for the Type 1 and Type 2 VW Mexico and VW do Brasil were full on manufacture, not CKD kits imported from Germany. The Beetle and bus CKD assembly lines in the likes of Ireland, South Africa and Australia had a lot to do with economic policies to create local jobs, like "you want to sell your cars here, OK, but you will have to assemble them here as well". I doubt the Germans with the post war consensus had a lot of say in the matter in some circumstances.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
Nigel, above you talk about English but then mention T3 / Vanagon, you forgot the British English name for them being T25. Do they prefer to call them T3 or T25 in Ireland?

In my mind, T25 primarily refers to the air-cooled versions, T3 taking over when VW switched to the Wasserboxer and the diesel.

That could just be me, though Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
chimneyfish wrote:

In my mind, T25 primarily refers to the air-cooled versions, T3 taking over when VW switched to the Wasserboxer and the diesel.

That could just be me, though Laughing

As long as its call "T" or "TEE" not Type. Then it all gets confusing calling a Vanagon a Type 3 Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:

I am not sure whether the Irish use T3, T25 or Type 25 for the 1980~92 VW Transporter T3, but use of the T25 and Type 25 designations, seem to be confined to the British Isles and no one outside of North American seems to refer to them as Vanagons.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An official designation doesn't always match the popular name. What was the advertising name at the time in the UK?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of the "Type 2" range - the series of cars, the bus produced after the "Type 1" Bug.

With in the Type 2 range is:

T1 - first in body style - split window bus
T2 - Bay window bus
T3 - Vanagon
T4 & 5 - Euro vans

I think T3 is used more than T25. T25 I think is a British thing. And its important to note - its pronounced "Tee 3" not Type three.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Huh? Hombre, you never noticed what's just South of San Diego, Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas? Now & over many years, lotsa dubs we never got here. And they're even correctly assembled with LHD...

True, but not assembled to meet the emissions and safety requirements of the US.

OTOH, I don't think that Ireland and the UK have vastly differing standards. After all, Brasilian buses could be imported to the UK.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
WestyPop wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Huh? Hombre, you never noticed what's just South of San Diego, Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas? Now & over many years, lotsa dubs we never got here. And they're even correctly assembled with LHD...

True, but not assembled to meet the emissions and safety requirements of the US.

OTOH, I don't think that Ireland and the UK have vastly differing standards. After all, Brasilian buses could be imported to the UK.

I suspect that Eire (i.e. Southern Ireland or Republic of Ireland) probably still relies upon the United Kingdom (i.e. Great Britain & Northern Ireland) to a large extent, for the provision of standards and research information. There are still a LOT of Irish immigrants, who rely upon employment in the United Kingdom, owing to lack of work opportunities in Eire.

Nigel A. Skeet

WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
"... I suspect that Eire (i.e. Southern Ireland or Republic of Ireland) probably still relies upon the United Kingdom (i.e. Great Britain & Northern Ireland) to a large extent, for the provision of standards and research information. There are still a LOT of Irish immigrants, who rely upon employment in the United Kingdom, owing to lack of work opportunities in Eire.
"

Yeah, foreign companies that have their entire corporate "headquarters" in an Irish P.O. box (for tax purposes) don't really need that many local employees!
68 Westy
(+ others)
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original roof top storage box?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=943558

Anyone have more info. on these? I would love to get the measurements so I could make a reproduction!

1966 Beetle
Djoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passenger sun-visor with courtesy mirror

model 68-69 only (long back-view mirror)

69 CLIPPER-L
74 WESTY
68 BUG
73 THING

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A BUS!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I thought they all had that. Very Happy
72 Baja
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 77 of 105

Jump to: