Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A thousand apologies....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: A thousand apologies.... Reply with quote

For leading another innocent thread to its death- I would not be on here if I wasn't a 3rd generation petrolhead, I just want to keep on driving and am sure you all do too. I will try my very best to stick to techinical subjects as much as possible. You are all very entitled to your opinions and I respect every one of them.
Rust Collector.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A thousand apologies.... Reply with quote

Devon-Dyno-Soar118 wrote:
For leading another innocent thread to its death- I would not be on here if I wasn't a 3rd generation petrolhead, I just want to keep on driving and am sure you all do too. I will try my very best to stick to techinical subjects as much as possible. You are all very entitled to your opinions and I respect every one of them.

Don't feel bad... I think it was the break out of the "political bickering" that was the final straw. Besides the thread had run it's course of useful info of which there are several threads out there already as I pointed out.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it another month and another one of "those" threads will be started. And by "those" I don't mean any particular thread, just all threads which begin even though they've been talked into the ground in 10 other threads.

I'd like to see MRBreeze's most used thread sticky really come to life, maybe even turn some of the best threads into consolidated items like the "Buyers" guide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurewagen wrote:
Give it another month and another one of "those" threads will be started. And by "those" I don't mean any particular thread, just all threads which begin even though they've been talked into the ground in 10 other threads.

I'd like to see MRBreeze's most used thread sticky really come to life, maybe even turn some of the best threads into consolidated items like the "Buyers" guide.

But do you think the bio diesel or any conversion is worthy of a sticky or a "best threads" status?

Even with stickies there will be those who dive in, don't read past the first page or what is on the screen and don't even 'try' the search who will still be asking the same questions over and over again. That is why the Admins have us locking threads and trying to point out existing ones when possible.

Everyone familiar with the site and questions they know were answered in a "good thread" should step up and do their duty to find and post links to old threads instead of posting the same ol same ol all the time. ( If they feel like and they can, I don't mean to make it sound manditory but there are plenty in all the forums who can help the moderators moderate Wink )
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree- its the same everywhere, nobody can be arsed to search and we all love a retread of an old topic. I certainly don't think this one was worth a sticky. Maybe a master engine interchange list would be the way to go, link to every thread on motor transplants of all kinds.
Rust Collector.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devon-Dyno-Soar118 wrote:
I agree- its the same everywhere, nobody can be arsed to search and we all love a retread of an old topic. I certainly don't think this one was worth a sticky. Maybe a master engine interchange list would be the way to go, link to every thread on motor transplants of all kinds.

Shoptalk Forum's "Conversion Perversion" forums is the best place for this. There are too many engine conversions to even contemplate.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
But do you think the bio diesel or any conversion is worthy of a sticky or a "best threads" status?

No, hence my careful wording of "those" threads so as not to explicitly point a finger at one thread or another.

Westy's are conversions, having a sticky on something Westy related would be a "conversion" sticky then? Wink

I've already PM'd MrBreeze, but I suggested categorizing the results as well. Maybe "Best Threads" isn't good for all, but "common threads" might be a good topic area. I agree, stickies get overlooked after a while and too many sticking and announcements eat my viewable screen forcing carple tunnel onto me due to all the unnecessary scrolling, but I digress Twisted Evil

I will do my best to search for good threads and point them out. Here is one such example while on the topic.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63133&highlight=isolator Both you and I referred to existing threads of quality. Good job to us Smile Give ourselves a pat on the back.

I will now "Lock" myself from adding anymore to this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurewagen wrote:
keifernet wrote:

No, hence my careful wording of "those" threads so as not to explicitly point a finger at one thread or another.

Westy's are conversions, having a sticky on something Westy related would be a "conversion" sticky then? Wink

I've already PM'd MrBreeze, but I suggested categorizing the results as well. Maybe "Best Threads" isn't good for all, but "common threads" might be a good topic area. I agree, stickies get overlooked after a while and too many sticking and announcements eat my viewable screen forcing carple tunnel onto me due to all the unnecessary scrolling, but I digress Twisted Evil

I will do my best to search for good threads and point them out. Here is one such example while on the topic.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63133&highlight=isolator Both you and I referred to existing threads of quality. Good job to us Smile Give ourselves a pat on the back.

I will now "Lock" myself from adding anymore to this thread.

It has been mentioned about when there are too many announcments and stickies...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161700

The goal is at some point to combine things into other sub categories similar to what has been done in some of the other forums, I am sure Rob or I or a combination of us working together on it will get this one cleaned up when we get the chance.

I know you and several others do the "link to and old thread" thing and it is great when people do go out of their way to find things for others and you still can chime in advice or tips to help with a particular question or situation that has a twist. I am not saying to kill or lock all threads with a similar question or subject.... but in order to keep the board cleaner and easier to search save bandwidth, any number of reasons it is nice to keep things in balance if possible.

I was hoping that the statement might spur some others to do the same. I appreciate all the efforts by regular members who help threads along with links to exisiting threads.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I just realized I asked for a sticky with just a list of "How-To" threads that have been posted.

I'm suing MrBreeze! Just call me SCO!

Wink
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to need a sticky for all the stickys.
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

sticky= too lazy to do a little search.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBusrepairman wrote:
mightyart wrote:

If it's someone who's been around a while like us, yes. Newbies are going to be confused by the search screen on this board. It doesn't work like Google.

Shoot, I still forget and try to enclose strings in quotes. Bleh.
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote:
mightyart wrote:

If it's someone who's been around a while like us, yes.

we HAVE been around, haven't we, Mr. Kind Shark? Wink
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic:
Diesel still pollutes, even the bio kind.
The eco friendly, zero-emissions Vanagon, it's even faster than the diesel!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

this vanagon will be used to make someone a nice home. Shocked
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBusrepairman wrote:
mightyart wrote:

this vanagon will be used to make someone a nice home. Shocked

Everywhere friendly Diskom Stores are located!
Coming to a town near you.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it was the break out of the "political bickering" that was the final straw

FWIW, sorry to all. I was definitely the end of the end. I was just trying to hack on Step a little. He's knows I'm just goading him. I should have thought a little more before posting... but that's not my normal modus operandus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been the fact that that thread like this one contains very little relivent bay window information.
It's just a guess though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: