Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Pedal Return Spring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Brake Pedal Return Spring Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm rebuilding the pedal cluster on my '64 bug. The original brake return spring was busted, so I ordered another one.

The new one that arrived looks correct, it has that long "arm" that hooks on to the pedal arm. Unfortunately the round spring portion doesn't fit over the shaft of the brake arm. It will just fit if I really wiggle it, but then it is very tight and I cannot pretension the spring.

I took the arm to a local VW shop (not the one that I got the spring from) and the springs that they have are the same as the one I ordered. The guy that works there couldn't explain why it won't work.

What am I missing here?

Second question, I am also putting the steering box back on. How do I know what the correct "rotation" on the beam is supposed to be? I didn't mark it when I removed it.

Thanks

andrew
dailydrivervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has the same problem with the spring being too small of a diameter. It's either the wrong one, or perhaps there is a bad batch of repro ones. Check the years they fit in a bug catalog.

Steering box is located by two welded-on pins located on underside of beam. The 2 bolt clamp has 2 notches to line it up.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailydrivervw wrote:
Steering box is located by two welded-on pins located on underside of beam. The 2 bolt clamp has 2 notches to line it up.

If your car is real early, the two locating pins will not be there. Just mock up the steering box on the beam. Rotate it until it lines up with the steering coumn. Bolt up the rubber steering coupler then fasten down the steering box.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
amoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys!!

I've checked the different styles of brake pedal return springs, and the one that I purchased is supposed to fit a '58-66. It looks correct, just has the wrong diameter.

The other style is a '67-79, and this one definetly won't work.

I guess it is possible that I have a pre '58 pedal cluster, but I haven't seen what those look like, and haven't seen springs for those being sold.

As for the steering box, the locator pins are on the top, so they only do a left-to-right alignment. There is nothing to do a rotational alignment.

I am doing a pan-off rebuild, so I guess I will have to wait till the body is on in order to line up the steering box to the steering column.

If anyone can shed some more light on the brake spring, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Andrew
amoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for anyone else that has this problem.

I did some measuring, the ID of the orginal spring is 41.5mm the ID of the new springs is 34.3mm.

The OD of the brake arm is 37.3mm at its widest.

Did some calling around and it looks like BFY obsolete parts has the right spring. They told me that they get their springs custom formed.

I'll post an update when it arrives.

Andrew
amoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

final reply...

The BFY spring arrived and it is the same as the original!!

It fit perfectly.
clausfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the steering box, you just line it up roughly and don't tighten it down. Once the body is on, you line it up with the steering column.
78 SB Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: