Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

iron cross
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: iron cross Reply with quote

at the kelley park show today, i found a iron cross, probably 1 1/4 square, that was stamped "1914" that a guy had found at a yard sale, probably some military award or something. i thought it would be really cool to hang off my dash, so i asked him how much he wanted for it. he said 425, which seemed a little steep to me. i figured i'd come back later, and try and talk him down.

so flash forward about 2 hours, i went back, didnt see it, so i asked if he still had it. he says "lemme tell you a funny story" which ends in a different guy coming by, and telling him its worth about 6 benjamins. it wasnt in the best shape, so it probably wasnt worth nearly that, but still...
so i guess this is my first lesson in buying things on the spot, rather than waiting.
oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a similar iron cross, but a reproduction. It's about an inch and a half to 2 inches across. with a plain version that says 1813 on the bottom, and on the other side it says 1938 with the swastika in the middle. Only cost me like $10 plus shipping. While an original would be cool to have, I'd be paranoid about it "Walking off" at a show if I spent $600 for it.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iron Cross is the most awarded combat medal in history. 5,500,000 were awarded......(not a typo) Shocked Fifty-seven companies made the award. In good condition a second class award with ribbon is $125. A first class award is about $250. The WWII versions are the most sought after. The higher orders can go for huge money. The Knignt's cross to the Iron Cross with neck ribbon can go for $6000..with oak leafs, $8000.....with oak leafs and swords, $10,000.....with diamonds, $18000.....with swords and diamonds $25,000. Now for the Big Bucks........depends on whether you have the document that goes with the award. Diamond award.......(paper only) $35,000. Medal and document $50,000. The more famous or infamous the award holder..........name your price. Wink These prices reflect the current values for the authentic award.
brody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i didnt think he would get 600 for it, its not in very good condition.
but its not even like i wanted it for the sake of having a german badge, rel or fake. i just wanted it for my dash. so im not too broken up over it. but now that i've got the idea in my head, maybe i'll start looking around on ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the "guy" that has the cross...First off I was going to sell it to you for $25 not $425. Maybe you misheard me when you asked "how much". As soon as I said $20 I kinda wished I had said more but you were the first person to ask about it and I hadn't really thought about what I wanted for it. Like I told you I picked it up at a yard sale years ago for like .25 cents. Anyways, the guys from Zarweks are the ones who saw it after you and told me it was worth some money, they thought around $500-$600 but also said they were not sure and that I should figure out what it is before I sell it. I put it in my pocket and brought it home, I never tried to sell it for that amount. I did a little research and as it turns out it's not worth any where near what they thought it might be. From what I found on Ebay it's worth about $60, not $600 so don't feel to bad, you didn't miss out on a real score. It does seem to be real, I guess the magnetic center is the way to tell. I'm going to put it up for auction and see what I can get for it.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57OGRAG wrote:
I'm the "guy" that has the cross...First off I was going to sell it to you for $25 not $425. Maybe you misheard me when you asked "how much". As soon as I said $20 I kinda wished I had said more but you were the first person to ask about it and I hadn't really thought about what I wanted for it. Like I told you I picked it up at a yard sale years ago for like .25 cents. Anyways, the guys from Zarweks are the ones who saw it after you and told me it was worth some money, they thought around $500-$600 but also said they were not sure and that I should figure out what it is before I sell it. I put it in my pocket and brought it home, I never tried to sell it for that amount. I did a little research and as it turns out it's not worth any where near what they thought it might be. From what I found on Ebay it's worth about $60, not $600 so don't feel to bad, you didn't miss out on a real score. It does seem to be real, I guess the magnetic center is the way to tell. I'm going to put it up for auction and see what I can get for it.

I recall someone showing me an Iron cross badge at KP (an the other half of Zarwerks, Jim Bremer was probably over my shoulder) and asking me about it, but I know NOTHING about them and certainly didn't say it was worth $500-$600, nor did Jim to my knowledge.

Perhaps you have us confused with someone else....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad. the 4 was spossed to be a $
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
The Iron Cross is the most awarded combat medal in history. 5,500,000 were awarded......(not a typo) Shocked Fifty-seven companies made the award.

so these were technically played out long before any of the car guys got into them....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I credited the wrong person for giving me the price range, I met alot of people over the weekend. Embarassed
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in California in 1962 /63 we used to buy Iron crosses at the 5 and dime store . We called them Surfers Crosses and wore them with our horizontal stripe shirts- we were cool. note: those were cheap reproductions the real ones were at the Army/Navy surplus store or from parents who brought them back from overseas in WW2.

Last edited by Downtown Brown on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Brown wrote:
Here in California in 1962 /63 we used to buy Iron crosses at the 5 and dime store . We called them Surfers Crosses and wore them with our horizontal stripe shirts- we were cool.

Did they call you "Mr. Peppermint man" back then?
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a wealth of misinformation! Laughing
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: ? about the Iron Cross Reply with quote

I'm toying with the idea of incorporating an iron cross repro badge into a display I use with my car. I certainly will not use it if I think it will offend.
I was doing a bit of research on the Iron Cross medal and came across this old thread.
My concern was/is that the cross may be offensive or mis-interpreted by some. It's Germanic history is interesting and the emblem itself seems to identify with the VW culture. I always think of Snoopy and the Red Baron Confused
So...Do you think most people see the iron cross a connection to the Nazi, Skinhead culture? Or is it just a symbol that speaks to the German connection of our V-dubs?
I suppose just like anything it's all in context.
Thoughtful insight is most appreciated.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the iron cross will offend anyone.

Now if it were the swastika or the SS lightning bolts, then you run into problems.

Several years ago a group of VW guys showed up at an event wearing SS lightning bolts on their shirts because they thought they looked cool. It put a lot of people on edge.

Heinz Nordhoff
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of derailed this thread Embarassed Sorry for that.
Anyhow, this is what the Iron Cross looks like with my car display.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A WW1 Iron Cross will should not bother anyone (Except the French Wink ), but you better stay away from a WW2 Iron cross with swastika.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a bit hard to see the vw badge affixed to the center of the cross. I think it's a replacement emblem for the water cooled switchblade keyfobs

Mike Gerson

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I don't think the iron cross will offend anyone.

Now if it were the swastika or the SS lightning bolts, then you run into problems.

Several years ago a group of VW guys showed up at an event wearing SS lightning bolts on their shirts because they thought they looked cool. It put a lot of people on edge.

the idea that alot of people will get PO'd is why I don't buy/wear this kinda thing. I like it but...oh well. not really interested in generating those conversations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: