Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Raising the back of the car from stock question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
BubbaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Raising the back of the car from stock question Reply with quote

I would like my car raked and I also have tire clearance issues on one side due to a PO having body work done and made one side slightly more narrow. I don't have any sag and my tires ride perfectly.

So I would like to raise the back of my Ghia by an inch or a little more. Should/Can you do this from the stock height through the splines and also will I need new shocks if I raise it this way?

Also, I was searching and ran by an old thread on air shocks. That might work well, since at times I may have it jammed with 2 adults and two teens. Any idea on where to get a pair for a 70 Ghia?

I appreciate any help,

Bubba
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually change the ride height you should re-index the torsion bars. The shock mounting points on the car are not designed to bear the weight like the torsion bars are.

I do not off the top of my head know of any air shock kits, however, I believe JC Whitney and CIP sell coil over type shocks that would help with a car load of people.
BubbaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these on EBAY tonight. Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Monroe-Max-Air-Shoc...10010r6177

I know the torsion is the preferred method and not that I don't think this is true either but for a simple "Inch" would the shocks be under that much pressure. I really don't know and would like to know it this is significant enough to justify torsion over air shocks.

Lastly, if I only do torsions...do I need different shocks?

Thanks again,

Bubba
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reindexed my torsions and raised my car about an inch or so. mine was riding low in the rear and i wanted it to look level front to rear. wasnt too hard to do.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a set of adjustable coil overs on the back. Worked fine and were very easy to do. Came from the local VW shop.
sonnycheeva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to raise the rear of my 71 ghia but am having trouble reindexing my torsion bars. I am able to pull out the outer spines to move but I cant move the spring plate down to raise. is there something im missing like some sort of spring compressor or something... Im confused.
BubbaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a make and model number for the coil overs? Also, I am not familiar with these but I assume they are like my motorcycle shock I had which allowed me to dial in the height. Is this correct or am I way off base here? Lastly, can you adjust the height with them installed or do you have to remove to adjust them?

Thanks again,

Bubba
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember what brand and it is in winter storage for the moment. Here is a picture of the adjustable coil over:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorrock wrote:
I don't remember what brand and it is in winter storage for the moment. Here is a picture of the adjustable coil over:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are these used in conjunction with the torsion springs Question
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
Are these used in conjunction with the torsion springs Question

Yes I simply put them on in place of the existing oirginal shocks and adjusted to level out the car. They work great and I did not have to re-index the splines which I have seen done and would not to it myself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: