Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did my wife discover the perfect paint remover?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hoping someone will answer my question "Has anyone painted anything after using this stuff? I keep reading about paint failures after using soda blasting and I'm wondering if a similar problem results from using this stuff to remove paint. It's a base just like soda."
ddarkraven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see pics of the cars after they were done. Oh and as mentioned before, If anybody has painted their car after using this stuff.
substock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT works!
I told my dad about the stuff....so he went out and bought some to remove lead based paint from woodwork in an older home. The stuff worked..it took off 3 coats but seems to have left the varnish below....which is ideal! (it would probably take the varnish with a longer soak).....I still haven't tried it on a car. I probably won't until I hear some feedback about paint adhesion after this stuff is used.

-j.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff works awesome!
I found some at Meijer's. So I sprayed a stock wheel and put it in a black garbage bag, left it outback in the sun for a couple hours and the paint is already bubbling off.
I'm going to try some engine tin next.
We'll see how well paint sticks to the wheel after I repaint it.
ocdbeetle
Samba Optimist

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the craziest thing I've seen in a while...(with 5 kids I've seen a lot)

I used it for some seatbelt trim (old sash belts) and it worked incredibly...wish I could find some more...Got the 1 bottle Walmart had...
AJ Quick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought 3 bottles trying to remove a cheap paint job that was done over the factory clear coat on a subcompact. So far very little paint has been removed. I am hoping that I can remove the cheap paint and get the normal paint and clear coat remaining.

Can't say it works too well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
substock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some to remove a touchup job done on a beetle hood. I gave it a few hours to work and kept it covered in plastic. It worked pretty well on the paint..but it didn't seem to permeate the factory coat...although it cleaned it well.

I found that the hood had bondo which the power remover wouldn't soften so I had to move over to aircraft remover...works MUCH faster, but I think power remover is probably a fair alternative for those who don't want to deal with fumes from strong paint strippers. Just gotta give it time....Since my garage isn't heated in winter, it sounds like this would be a great product for removing paint in my basement without flooding the house with toxic fumes.
AJ Quick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't work very well.

I used 6 bottles and it removed paint in weird splotches all the way down to the primer. Had to use a pressure washer to remove the paint, otherwise it never would have done anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
ocdbeetle
Samba Optimist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used some more to remove a PO paint job on decklid hinges...I told my wife "No, no, the power dissolver doesnt take skin off your hands thats the other stuff"... Embarassed now i feel like Im wearing gloves 3 times too small.....
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Oven Cleaner and Drain Openers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the effectivness of this stuff depends on the paint being removed.
Seems if it is cheap spray paint or something like that it may work. But any decent overspray not.

I bought a couple bottles to use on a couple greasy transmissions...
no paint at all...just grease...guess what...barely did a thing to the grease....hmm not too impressed. Tried all the tricks leaving it sit
for hours and the plastic covering it...still barely touched the grease on 2 different trannys on two different occasions. Rolling Eyes
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
racetearoffs.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to get some I have an MGB I need to strip great find !! was looking at sandpaper and grinding wheels and cost and labor this sounds good .
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:

I bought a couple bottles to use on a couple greasy transmissions...
no paint at all...just grease...guess what...barely did a thing to the grease....hmm not too impressed. Tried all the tricks leaving it sit
for hours and the plastic covering it...still barely touched the grease on 2 different trannys on two different occasions. Rolling Eyes

If you need to degrease something, this is what you want.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOOD STUFF...It's a detergent but don't get it on your hand as it dries out your skin.

I soaked some greasy parts in this stuff overnight and when I pulled the parts all I had to do was a quick rinse and "viola".
racetearoffs.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got digital cam out going to run it on the 65 mgb fr fender and cover with garbage bag and check in the morning . It s 4 20 in the afternoon i sure hope the fumes dont get to me with this test ! Test variables >>> Florida overcast / car outside // humid // temp 80 ish /// no sun /// double cover fender garbage bag then tarp //// using one full bottle
racetearoffs.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/racetearoffs/ I was very suprised at the way it ate the paint could not get u tube to load video but went down and got a couple of bottles and heres is the piks garbage bag bake sysytem for 2 night . gonna do video and some piks but I guess old junk british crap is no match for your wives miracle cure fvs labor and sandpaper . We got about 1/2 hr or so wrapping vehicle after giving it the juice . When bottle got close to empty we filled it with some water .we used 4 bottles so far . Will post tommorrow effects after pressure wash bath .
racetearoffs.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/racetearoffs/?mediafilter=images

new pictures of car very pleased waiting on case from ace store next week finish up .
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racetearoffs.com wrote:
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/racetearoffs/ I was very suprised at the way it ate the paint could not get u tube to load video but went down and got a couple of bottles and heres is the piks garbage bag bake sysytem for 2 night . gonna do video and some piks but I guess old junk british crap is no match for your wives miracle cure fvs labor and sandpaper . We got about 1/2 hr or so wrapping vehicle after giving it the juice . When bottle got close to empty we filled it with some water .we used 4 bottles so far . Will post tommorrow effects after pressure wash bath .

That's more or less the result I got as well when I first did the test fender (see beginning of this thread).
It came down to what looks like factory primer and in some spots left the original blue.

I wonder if this this may be a good solution for when you want to take it down to original paint when a car has been sprayed by places like Maaco and Scheib -- I bet it takes all those cheap paints right off, as some of us experienced.

Edit: I have since used it on my basement's bilko doors and some furniture that had been painted. It has worked really well for me. The sandwich wrap definitely helps as well.
With furniture it will raise the grain so will require some sanding and sealing - that's for a different forum, though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
racetearoffs.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the fenders are all the way down to the metal with the coating to keep it from rusting from the factory Arrow Exclamation :2gunfire: , The hood i swear it looks like the original skim coat to make the aluminum hood smooth from the factory . I aint gonna million dollar trailer queen this car just a honest get it nice and solid beater mgb and hopefully driving round by Turkey day but open to Xmas . I really like it didnt stink up the [place when i had it in the shop . when i get the case I will try it on a modern junker and see what it does on something newer 90s and above . It is definetly saving time/labor/parts costs which is great !!! I am going to really crap it on all the missed parts when I get the case so I will post the final observation of the mgb paint strip trial .
racetearoffs.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here a video of my nephew kicking an mgb fenders ass

http://uk.youtube.com/user/whipteachr1
Blitzkrieg_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from sunny South Africa

I have successfully used a drain cleaner to strip my Type 4 engine tinwear.

It costs around $3 for a litre.

The main ingredient is sulphuric acid. And the instructions state that you should not use it on aluminium drains and guttering Surprised

What I basically did was leave the tinwear in a flat pan and immerse it in the drain cleaner, then left it overnight.

In the morning, the tins were stripped clean!

I just had to blast them with a hose pipe and use some metal conditioner. Now they are ready for painting Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: