Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sparkarte KDF
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prea50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Sparkarte KDF Reply with quote

i have a sparkarte KDF complete with all stamps and in great chape
i would like to sold it !
can you give the market price for this item ??
I have see one on the classified section http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=269797
Is it the right price ?????!!!!

thanks michel
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that $1295? Is that guy a crack addict? I bought one at the Classic 2 years ago for $85. It has all of the stamps, 1936 right up until Oct '44 when the allies took over. 3rd Reich approval stamps, persons name, occupation, etc.

$100 would be a fair price.

[Edit] Ok, the one I have is not the same as the one in that ad. I do not have the factory worker one, but the ones used by the private citizens. That looks like the factory worker one, yes?

Still $1295 seems like a dreamer to me....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to burst you bubble John.......but that price is not outta of line, depending on the date on the card. VW issued five cards that had to be filled before the car was "sold." All stamps were dated and then "insurance stamps" were purchased for the number five card and then you went down and picked up your car. The books were either "war" issued or "pre-war" issued. The "pre-War" were red colored with orange stamps and in the "war" years (post 1940) they were blue colored with green stamps. A completed number five pre-war with insurance stamps could be worth over $2000. I have one and I would not sell it for twice that. There are less that a handfull #5 completed cards known to exist. Any completed red card is worth big bucks; the higher the number obviously the more money. Blue cards are quite cheap by comparison, but that said.......a completed #3 or #4 card with the correct stamps can still go over $1500. There is debate if a #5 blue card was ever completed. There are several that have been filled up but lack the correct stampings. Everything depends on what is stamped, were it is stamped and signed, and if all the "sigh posts" matchup to the know correct cards. I buy red cards all the time in excess of $1000 but I have no interest in the blue cards......as most were filled up after the war and lack the proper documentation or were faked to appear correct. I have seen several correct blue cards exceed $1500 though.

Last edited by 53 0val on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first, let me say I am hardly an expert in this area, sounds like you have done quite a bit of research Bob.

What I have, and originally thought the post was about (but edited my post above) is the hard coverd, reddish brown booklet, with a page for each year. I think mine is filled from '38 or so until Oct '44. Orange stamps.

What you refer to as "cards" sounds different? Were there pre-war and "war" as well as VW worker and private citizen? I can post pics of mine, or e-mail them to you if needed. I see the booklets like the one I have come up from time to time for $200 or less, andmost have fewer stamps....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have is the more common "book" as opposed to the blue or red "card." If your "book" is completed in orange stamps and date marked with KDF stampings........you have a great item. Most books were never completed and those that were, usually have both stamp colors. Send me pictures and I'll let you know what I think you have. Sometimes with the correct papers and period photographs those book are quite collectable and can bring good money.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to pirate prea50's thread, but I thought I would post pics of my book here since it is related. Bob, others, comments??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What that looks like John is a KDF stamp book and not a VW book per say. The KDF was an organization set up by the NAZIs to allow a certain amount of a worker's wages to be set aside in order to take vacations and trips with the government subsidizing a large amount and providing transportation and lodging for these vacations. What I "think" you have is a stamp book set up for these vacations. I don't think it has anything to do with the purchase of VW's but I could be wrong there. The stamps are different but correctly signed off and marked with appropriate NAZI markings. I am sure it is period and correct........I just don't know what you really have there. Because it is KDF doesn't mean it has anything to do with VWs though. Somebody in here will probably know more than the information I am able to share with you. I will contact some friends in Germany and get back with you soon. Sorry I don't know any more than that. Confused
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well cool, that is more than I knew, thanks! At least I only paid $65 for it, not $1200 thinking it was a VW book.......!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Mitchell in Germany, tells me the book is like a union dues stamp book and is not VW related but it is worth what you paid for it. Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he e-mailed me the same. At least he didn't tell me that it was from the "KDF Grocery Store" savings stamp program.... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
KdF Matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: DAF Book Reply with quote

Hello there John;
I am a new member with keen interest in paperwork collectables of civilian Germany.
What you have is a Deutsches Arbeitsfront MEMBERSHIP book. Thats what Mitgeleidsbuch means on one of the first pages.
When the NSDAP made the trades unions illegal or disanded them and took them over by organising them into bigger collectives, they all ended up as part of the DAF. What you have is a book that a member was issued with and paid his weekly or monthly dues by handing over his Reichsmarks and getting a little validation sticker/stamp that was put into the book and overstamped. They have numbers on corresponding to the year they were purchased.
There were 20 categories of workers and it depended which you were on how much you paid.
They are reasonably common, but not always well filled. To give you an idea the DAF pulled in 300 million reichsmarks from this scheme in 1934.
Regards
KdF Matt
UK
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading for me, John, despite the old-style German characters!

If you bring it along to a VW meet in CT next year I'll be glad to explain some of the text. Even if I am not wearing my Lederhosen Laughing .

The above explanations make sense; I also found no specific mention of a KdF-Wagen. Agree, a "proof" of Membership booklet.
wagenbits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: sparkarte KDF Reply with quote

This sparkarte is for sale from the estate of a friend, with a potential buyer in the local VW club.

Would very much like to know the current 2014 value for this card nearly full of stamps, for the sake of the widow. Does the 4 in 4/123 indicate it is a number 4 of 5 card? Does it have the correct seal, signature, and "sigh posts"?

Please let me know what you think on it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1222206.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1222214.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This KdF-Wagen Sparkarte book and stamps appear to be genuine and it is the 4th savers book.

Considering the condition and that many stamps, I would guess the value at around $225 to $300.

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious... issued to a "Johann Holzmann"... you'll have to admit it is an interesting sounding name to find on an document from the nazi unions.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
curious... issued to a "Johann Holzmann"... you'll have to admit it is an interesting sounding name to find on an document from the nazi unions.

i think in that part of germany this would be a common name even today, even more so a hundred years ago.

makes you wonder if he ever got his car?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
GArBa wrote:

i think in that part of germany this would be a common name even today, even more so a hundred years ago.

makes you wonder if he ever got his car?

Nobody got their car.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 53 OVAL says . . . Nobody got their car !!

Just to note, this is the forth Sparkarte with 2 stamps left to purchase. A fifth Sparkarte is required to have paid the full amount for the KdF Wagen 1190 RM (as indicated on the forth Sparkarte) . . . . .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nobody got the car he had saved all the money for.
And nobody got the money back.
As you can immagine the money savers where not really happy about that.
So they formed an association after the war to fight united for their rights.
Named HEV. "Hilfsverein ehemaliger Volkswagensparer"
translates to "helping associacion of former Volkswagen money savers"
They wanted a car from the Volkswagen company.
But Volkswagen said that they are a corporation now, not any more related to the Nazi regime who took the money. And still nobody got a car.
The savers kept fighting at courts and in 1961 it came to an agreement.
Everyone who was able to proove by his saving cards that he had payed 750
Reichsmark or more, got 100 "new" Marks in cash or if he buys a Volkswagen he would get it 600 Marks cheaper.
So in 1961 the Volkswagenwerk got a huge load of money saving cards.
I know a guy who obviously got hold of them later. He had worked there in the past and I saw him selling lots of them.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were special German tin coin registering banks (spardose or sparkasse) made with a lithographed KdF Wagen design on the sides
that were produced by two German Toy Companies named Georg Brandstätter or GEOBRA and also Michael Seidel, in the late 1930s.
The banks kept track of the 5 & 10 Reichsphennig coins deposited until 5 Reichsmarks was reached. The banks door opened and the
5 Reichmarks coins gathered could buy a KdF Sparkarte book stamp.

Check out this link for the KdF Wagen banks:

http://www.vintagevolkswagenmodels.com/split-windo...coin-banks

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: