Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sparkarte KDF
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
No, nobody got the car he had saved all the money for.
And nobody got the money back.
As you can immagine the money savers where not really happy about that.
So they formed an association after the war to fight united for their rights.
Named HEV. "Hilfsverein ehemaliger Volkswagensparer"
translates to "helping associacion of former Volkswagen money savers"
They wanted a car from the Volkswagen company.
But Volkswagen said that they are a corporation now, not any more related to the Nazi regime who took the money. And still nobody got a car.
The savers kept fighting at courts and in 1961 it came to an agreement.
Everyone who was able to proove by his saving cards that he had payed 750
Reichsmark or more, got 100 "new" Marks in cash or if he buys a Volkswagen he would get it 600 Marks cheaper.
So in 1961 the Volkswagenwerk got a huge load of money saving cards.
I know a guy who obviously got hold of them later. He had worked there in the past and I saw him selling lots of them.

Remember who took the money: Josef Stalin Twisted Evil . Every single penny was deposited by the DAF to the BdA Bank in Berlin to wait for the war to end and civilian production to begin. With interest, every penny. It was stolen by the Soviets in 1945, not the Nazis. Stalin confiscated the KdF savers funds and interest and took it to Moscow. Despite this, the VW factory agreed to compensate for the savings stamps.
KdF Matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sparkarte KDF Reply with quote

If I understand the scheme correctly, as soon as the card was filled with stamps it was supposed to be sent back to the KdF wagenwart administrator of the local (Kreis or Gau?) KdF office and a reciept provided, later followed by a letter confirming the order was paid for.
I have a set of these receipts, 'quittingskarte' for one chap who ordered a car - obviously never receiving it 😉

Whilst it's true that scheme entrants never got a car it's not quite true no citizens got one. (I mean outside of their job or virtue of being high ranking in an organisation). 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: