Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Issue?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Hello all – So I finally found the perfect bus last November after looking for several, several years and couldn’t be happier. The PO took great care of it and it has needed only minimal maintenance (tires, basic tune up – valves, points, timing, etc) but has had a totally inconsistent issue that I wanted to see if anyone could offer any advice.

It runs just great 90% of the time but every so often it will start sputtering, lose power, and backfire intermittently. It seems to do it more often when it is held a higher rpm for a sustained amount of time. Usually, I am able to limp it to where I’m going, let it rest and it disappears for another two weeks or so.

All this points me to believe it is a fuel issue, like a dirty gas tank. It maintains good fuel pressure from what I can tell (can’t look at gauge when it’s actually happening), the fuel pump is working properly and I don’t see any gunk in the fuel filter. Rather than just throw parts at it and get a new tank, I wondered if anyone else could offer any insight for basic first steps in diagnoses or troubleshooting? I’ve had a bug (the same bug) since I started driving 25 years ago and feel pretty confident working on that, which is also a 1600dp, but my bus has duel carbs, which I’ve never dealt with. I’m a firm believer in starting with the low-hanging fruit first, but short of carb adjustment (which I don’t think it is because it runs fine when it runs fine) or either cleaning or replacing the tank, I’m at a loss…. Sorry for the length of the post and thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

If you think it's a fuel issue dump some fuel injection cleaner into the tank and see if that clears it up.

If your valves are hanging up in their guides because of ethanol laced fuel going sour then an upper cylinder lubricant might help.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Try to run the tank down to right before empty. Disconnect the battery. Get a couple catch pans to hold the residual gasoline. Raise the rear of the bus and remove the right rear wheel so you have better access.

At this point you need to try and drain the tank. Don’t get gas in your eyes or ears. If any gets on your arms wash them with soap and water. Now, once the tank stops flowing go up and remove the fitting and nut from the tank outlet. There should also be a finger strainer up inside which pulls straight down. Plan ahead to replace the strainer.

So, the tank is empty (hopefully). Did any ugly looking crap come out? Is anything partially blocking the hole? Place a clean catch pan under the outlet and pour a gallon or two of fresh gas into the tank and see if debris comes out.

At this point if you had a borescope you might look inside and see what’s the condition. If it all looks good install the new strainer and reassemble everything.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Try to run the tank down to right before empty. Disconnect the battery. Get a couple catch pans to hold the residual gasoline. Raise the rear of the bus and remove the right rear wheel so you have better access.

At this point you need to try and drain the tank. Don’t get gas in your eyes or ears. If any gets on your arms wash them with soap and water. Now, once the tank stops flowing go up and remove the fitting and nut from the tank outlet. There should also be a finger strainer up inside which pulls straight down. Plan ahead to replace the strainer.

So, the tank is empty (hopefully). Did any ugly looking crap come out? Is anything partially blocking the hole? Place a clean catch pan under the outlet and pour a gallon or two of fresh gas into the tank and see if debris comes out.

At this point if you had a borescope you might look inside and see what’s the condition. If it all looks good install the new strainer and reassemble everything.

I personally like to just eliminate the screen and then shorten the stand pipe and shape its end so that it can't be easily blocked off by something floating around in the tank. Removing the screen assumes that there has been another filter added in line that can be changed out without draining the tank. Having a tall stand pipe may be required in countries where getting water into the storage tanks and then transferring it into the bus's tank is still a common occurrence, but for the US I feel it is better to have a short stand pipe and thus get the water out of the tank so it doesn't cause rust. If one does get water in the fuel, isopropyl alcohol added to the tank will hold the water in suspension and thus allow it to pass through the fuel system without causing problems.

If the tank has two inches (50mm) of gunk sitting in the bottom then shortening the stand pipe would not be a good idea, but cleaning the tank certainly would be.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

This is all great advice, thank you. I will definitely drain the tank down as you suggest once it gets low enough - it just got filled up last night. This may be another thing worth noting, my wife (whole stole the bus from me and drives it everyday) said it usually does the sputtering/poor running routine the first one or two times after it gets filled up.

It gets StarTron at every fill up and maybe it's just coincidental, but two of the times it ran rough were the only two times I'm aware of that it didn't get any StarTron.

Either way, thanks again and updates to come!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

I had some wounded travelers come through San Diego several years ago complaining of the bus running similarly to yours. Telford and I found a rag in the tank

[/img]
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

So aeromech just so I'm sure, once the tank is drained I need to remove the fitting and nut from the tank outlet? By this you mean where the fuel line comes out of the bottom (?) of the tank? I found the following on Bus Depot, is this what you're talking about?

https://www.busdepot.com/j11226

Thanks again, and my apologies for probably over thinking on my part.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Nicholas D wrote:
So aeromech just so I'm sure, once the tank is drained I need to remove the fitting and nut from the tank outlet? By this you mean where the fuel line comes out of the bottom (?) of the tank? I found the following on Bus Depot, is this what you're talking about?

https://www.busdepot.com/j11226

Thanks again, and my apologies for probably over thinking on my part.

Yes. I does depends on the year of your bus. Fuel injected buses are different. You'll just want to replace the finger strainer because most of the other parts in that kit are reusable. I've found some strainers completely disintegrated. Others pretty battered up.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks! Guess all I can do now is run the gas out of it, headed camping for the weekend. Hope we make it!!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Here's a trick. Hang a fuel container on the side of your bus. Run a hose to your engine. Be safe. This will tell you if the tank is your problem.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

If I were in your situation I’d confirm dwell is at 50 degrees. If you’re good there, change the condenser to eliminate ignition probs.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Jeff. I actually just changed out the condenser a couple weeks ago. Noticed the rubber grommet that fits on the distributor body had come loose and the wire had fallen into the distributor a little. I figured that couldn't be helpful for ignition so I switched it. I do still need to double-check the dwell though.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

I appreciate you, you’re welcome.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Could it be that the vapor recovery system is blocked off or plugged, thus creating a vacuum?
72 Baja
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Could it be that the vapor recovery system is blocked off or plugged, thus creating a vacuum?

Quick way to check that is loosen the fill cap
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Update for my own benefit I suppose. I finally got a day off work and was able to remove the fuel line from bottom of tank (there was no strainer at all) and rinse with a few gallons of fresh gas. I also found a second , filthy, fuel filter under the bus (amazing what happens when I actually have the time to look). Cleaned tank, switched fuel filters and put some fresh gas in. The pictured junk came out of tank and although it's not a glove I suspect it could have been the culprit. We'll see! Thanks again for the advice!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

In my opinion you are better off to run without the screen and cut the stand pipe so it is much shorter and V-notch what is left of it so it can't easily be blocked with a piece of plastic floating around in the tank. With the original stand pipe you can end up with an inch plus of water pooled in the bottom of the tank, something I would rather not have.

Since you have an inline filter the screen itself is redundant.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Is the circle part the stand pipe? Pic is the one I replaced which is definitely shorter than what I put in. I get what you mean about having so much water in the tank with a taller stand pipe, and get the idea of cutting a notch to avoid blockage but wouldn't the screen negate any need to cut a notch and still filter any particles?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue? Reply with quote

Nicholas D wrote:
Is the circle part the stand pipe? Pic is the one I replaced which is definitely shorter than what I put in. I get what you mean about having so much water in the tank with a taller stand pipe, and get the idea of cutting a notch to avoid blockage but wouldn't the screen negate any need to cut a notch and still filter any particles?

You can keep the screen if you want as it will certain keep a sheet of plastic from being able to block the outlet. More in days past then today, I have found that they collect smaller debris in the tank and can clog. They may actually accordion down from the suction. I pulled the clogged screen from my '74 Bay not long after I bought it circa 1988 and let an inline filter take the load, same with my '73 Thing. Maybe I have a problem awaiting me down the road somewhere but it hasn't showed in hundreds of thousands of miles of driving at this point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: