Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Ghia bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlhsquared wrote:
Here's another source:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1367246

This is eVWParts in Severna Park, Maryland, USA. I know absolutely nothing about what they carry or who makes them, but they have always been good to deal with for me. The ad does show straight blades, but they appear to be three piece.

They are probably reselling PTT or someone else. Their price is a lot more than what I paid PTT for a set.
bozworth1026
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
GTBMike wrote:
Looking a the PTT bumpers for our 63 coupe and like to stay with the EU style w overrides

Question for those that have the EU style with the overrides. Do you have to use them?
I may not like the look with them and may like to use just the blades (like the fiberglass units we have on the car now)

I do not see why not but before I order them I would like to have my options

Thanks

Mike

I haven't ordered my set yet but I'm also thinking of getting rid of the overriders. The car has such clean lines and I think they are spoiled by the towel rail bumpers (more) and also by the overriders (less, but still).

This is a case where the less you interfere with the car's beautiful lines and curves the more attractive it may be.

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer to this question but I have ordered and fitted EU style bumper, Pictures can be seen on page 18, the first showing without over riders.

As mentioned before, the bumpers come in three parts, with the three bolt holes (6 altogether) for bolts holding the parts together hidden behind the over riders. The top and bottom bolts are doomed chrome/polished bolts (or what I call coach bolts). The centre hole is for the bolt that holds the over rider to the bumper/car and holds the bumper to the car.

Of course you could always use another doomed bolt to hold everything together and hide the holes.

The one thing of concern for me for a single piece bumper is getting it to fit. Being in three bits gives you some flexibility, allowing you movement to line up the bolt holds and bolts, especially the two side bolts on the front sides, even with the flexibility of movement because of the split in the bumpers I still found it impossible to fit without making adjustments to the mounting points.

The slight alignment issues are hidden behind the over riders. I believe I was lucky in that mine went on with only small adjustment, but if you do not have the right equipment or enough pair of hands to help, you will be looking at doubling or trebling the time required to fit them
vwanne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen or used the PTT Type 3 bumpers? I'm looking at a set for my fastback.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwanne wrote:
Has anyone seen or used the PTT Type 3 bumpers? I'm looking at a set for my fastback.

This thread is for Ghia bumpers only...the Type 3 Forum has their own: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573589
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
vwanne wrote:

This thread is for Ghia bumpers only...the Type 3 Forum has their own: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573589

Thanks for keeping them "Type III" folks in their place, Coach. Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Thanks for keeping them "Type III" folks in their place, Coach. Wink

Don't worry I'm on it...especially that "Ev" guy...strolls around the place like he owns it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fairview
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Front bumper bracket "fix" for stainless steel bum Reply with quote

I'm installing a set of the stainless steel bumpers. I think they are very nice in all respects except for the thread plate angle for the ends of the front bumper. I see that others have experienced the same.

The problem is that the plate is welded into the bumpers at the wrong angle, so your front corner bolts don't come in at anywhere near the correct angle.

I didn't want to weld on my brand new (and expensive!) bumpers, so I made a simple angle bracket last night, using 12 guage steel. This seems to fit fine and offer plenty of adjustment. I'll trim it down and paint, but here are two pictures that will give you the general idea.

If you are concerned about 12 guage metal being used for a bumper bracket, not to worry, it just attaches to the car sheet metal at that point, so it is much heavier than what it bolts to.

Thanks, Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff - I have same problem with my set. I haven't finished mounting yet.

You have discarded the rubber?
Fairview
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
Jeff - I have same problem with my set. I haven't finished mounting yet.

You have discarded the rubber?

I still installed rubber between the bumper bracket and the body, but a shorter piece can be used since everything lines up better.

In my picture there is a flat washer between the rubber and the body, which I'll probably not use when I'm ready for final assembly.

Good luck with yours! Jeff
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!!! I think a simple rubber washer will work. I like your elegant bracket design and will adopt it.
asbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I used a hardened metric bolt ~3" and torqued the angle I needed out of the plate by hand pressure.
Yes it took several tries, but the stock bolts will fit now.
Be careful, slow, and thoughtful about your torques.
P.S. Welcome to the club...
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asbug wrote:
On mine I used a hardened metric bolt ~3" and torqued the angle I needed out of the plate by hand pressure.

I'm wondering: the problem with the fit appears to be on EVERY unit they manufacture and it's the same problem every time. Has anyone alerted them to the misfit so they they can fix it during the manufacturing process?

I need to order euro style bumpers, but I'm not inclined to ordering something that is going to frustrate me during the installation.
Fairview
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
asbug wrote:

I'm wondering: the problem with the fit appears to be on EVERY unit they manufacture and it's the same problem every time. Has anyone alerted them to the misfit so they they can fix it during the manufacturing process?

I need to order euro style bumpers, but I'm not inclined to ordering something that is going to frustrate me during the installation.

Just about finished the install of my bumpers, and that front bracket issue is really the only thing that is more than expected "adjustment" of fitting new bumpers to an old car. Finish is beautiful but if you are extraordinarily picky, like me, you'll see a little more warm golden hue to the stainless bumpers than the cold blue look to the original chrome.

If they would just weld that front corner bracket in at about a 30 degree angle, rather than parallel to the edge of the bumper, there wouldn't be much to complain about. My repair only costs about $2.00 in material, and a little time in dreaming up the solution.

I wouldn't let that bracket issue dissuade me from buying the bumpers, though- it is relatively minor, just a nuisance.

Good luck in what you decide to do. Jeff
Fairview
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Almost finished Reply with quote

Here are the stainless bumpers almost completely finished. I need to do some final tweaks, and drill and install the rear bumper end bolts at the wheel wells.

It took me a lot longer than I expected to install these. I think I had 5 hours just getting the front bumper assembled, tweaked, corner brackets made, etc. The rear bumper took me just as long. I must be getting slower in my old age! But I really like the look and fit of these bumpers.

Any questions on these, just let me know. Jeff

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up, insight and solution to the front bumper issue Jeff. Smile

So if anyone at PTT Bumpers is reading this...correcting the angle of the corner mount on the front bumper will bring you a firm "No issues recommendation" and that is a long way from where we started this topic in 2006.
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Stainless Ghia Bumpers Reply with quote

I am going over there in October for some R&R and intend calling in and seeing these Bumpers for myself - so if they haven't read your post by then, they will know about it before I leave

Regards Jerry
KGCOA
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia Bumpers Reply with quote

56cpe wrote:
I am going over there in October for some R&R and intend calling in and seeing these Bumpers for myself - so if they haven't read your post by then, they will know about it before I leave

Regards Jerry
KGCOA

Kewl! This oughta be interesting.
Fairview
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia Bumpers Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
56cpe wrote:

Regards Jerry
KGCOA

Kewl! This oughta be interesting.

Yes, sounds great... please keep us updated. If you have an original front bumper section, you could take it with you and show them what it's supposed to be!

Jeff
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read every post on this thread but didn't find an answer. I'm thinking of ordering a set of these bumpers:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1257125

but I can't seem to find out whether these bumpers actually fit a 71. I know the 70-71 bumper lengths at the rear are slightly shorter than the 69 and older. I'd hate to order these only to find they are too short to bolt up behind the wheel wells. They look great and I got a quote from the maker for $700 plus shipping. I can't get one of my not-too-bad original bumpers straightened and chromed for that.

Has anyone bought them and installed them on a 70-71?

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been quoted $600 plus $185 for shipping to New Zealand for a set of Euro style st st bumpers by Ham Tan Tai company in Vietnam. Are these the stainless steel bumpers we are talking about here, where the fitting needs to be changed?

The price looks good to me.

The person dealing with my query is Ms Honey. Before I pay good money, could anyone here tell me whether I'm dealing with the right supplier?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 42

Jump to: