Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speaker recommendations?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Speaker recommendations? Reply with quote

I’m looking for a set of decent speakers for my front door. I just dropped $250.00 on a new receiver and I really want to complement it. I don't have power windows and I am aware of the window crank clearance issue. Is inter-door depth an issue? Any speaker recommendations? Whatcha thumpin? Cool
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty! has extensions for window cranks allowing bigger (deeper) speakers:http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre...-p-handles

Kind regards,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:
GoWesty! has extensions for window cranks allowing bigger (deeper) speakers:http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre...-p-handles

Kind regards,
Ric

$34.95 Shocked I could probably make that. In fact the gears are already turning Twisted Evil Thanks for the quick response Wink
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of JBL two way speakers, but the speakers are seperated.the woofers are mounted to the doors in the kickpanels and the tweeters are mounted on the dash facing the listeners, this gives clearer sound, over 4" speakers aimed at your elbows.
like this but mine didn't cost this much.
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-C608GTI-6-1-2-COMPONENTS-N...dZViewItem
tweeters:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

woofer:

crossovers:

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I like the tweeter idea. But I'm reluctant to drill holes in the dash to fasten them. Rolling Eyes Yea I'm a bit ridiculous. Maybe I could do something like that on the ceiling. I wonder if those JBLs would fit up top next to the window crank. Thanks for the visuals Art. Man I can’t wait until my stereo gets here. I’ve gone over two years with this crappy 24 year old stock system.
cheeseisgood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use velcro or double sided tape Smile
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheeseisgood wrote:
use velcro or double sided tape Smile

Yea but you have to run the wires down through the dash to the stereo. I'm looking for a clean stock looking installation with no dangling wires and stuff. Velcro might work if the speakers were say...remote control Twisted Evil Now that would be cool Cool BUT, I'm trying to keep this job under $75.00.
amtjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tweeters are almost manditory in my opinion. You lose a huge amount of the high frequency sound when it is only firing out from the doors, because those frequencies are highly directional. The dash mounted tweeters will allow you to hear far more detail since they are aimed at your head.

Im mounting mine in the corner of the dash and windshield with double sided black tape. You can easily run the wires under the dash by going around and under, to the receiver. No wires, drilling or permanent buggery.

art
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to cut into the dash either so I opted for the air vent. I figured if I ever wanted to change them it was a lot cheaper than a new dash. I got this tweeter/mid system at http://www.crutchfield.com/ for $39.00 on clearance. No body wanted them because they were clear. I just painted the back of them with Krylon fusion and they turned out pretty good. I highly recommned component speakers if you can find a good deal!!!

vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the sound quality of separates, my Jetta had 9 speakers all in stock locations except the sub in the trunk. I had a set of Kicker 3.5 mid/highs that mounted in the upper dash and fired off the windshield......amazing sound! Shocked you could hear the guys talking in recording room on CD's.

Currently I am running all Rockford fosgate Amps and speakers with a Sony head unit running door speakers and rears. Remote control is a must when "chillin" in the back or laid out in bed.

I chose these Fosgates mainly because they fit the 4" holes and have tweeters, they aren't seperates but they sound purdy good. About $90 a pair. The jury is still out on the very modern/flashy look of them but I guess they jive with my silver van okay.

I just bought an extra set of window cranks and modified them ever so slightly by heating the metal on my gas stove top (didn't want to break out the torch Laughing ) and bent them out enough to clear the face. It works?

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
I agree with the sound quality of separates, my Jetta had 9 speakers all in stock locations except the sub in the trunk. I had a set of Kicker 3.5 mid/highs that mounted in the upper dash and fired off the windshield......amazing sound! Shocked you could hear the guys talking in recording room on CD's.

Currently I am running all Rockford fosgate Amps and speakers with a Sony head unit running door speakers and rears. Remote control is a must when "chillin" in the back or laid out in bed.

I chose these Fosgates mainly because they fit the 4" holes and have tweeters, they aren't seperates but they sound purdy good. About $90 a pair. The jury is still out on the very modern/flashy look of them but I guess they jive with my silver van okay.

I just bought an extra set of window cranks and modified them ever so slightly by heating the metal on my gas stove top (didn't want to break out the torch Laughing ) and bent them out enough to clear the face. It works?

Very cool Jedi thanks for the input. The photo of the window crank is very helpful. I agree those speakers are a little bling, BUT I think you pull it off ok with the color match. I don’t think there over the top. Here’s the stereo I got on eBay. Should be here be Tuesday or so.

Here's more
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures.php?id=6308
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lola will be pimpin. Cool
QDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/255311.jpg[img][/img]
QDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QDog wrote:

Nice! a little to flashy for Lola though Rolling Eyes
QDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker recommendations? Reply with quote

lovedavdubs wrote:
I’m looking for a set of decent speakers for my front door. I just dropped $250.00 on a new receiver and I really want to complement it. I don't have power windows and I am aware of the window crank clearance issue. Is inter-door depth an issue? Any speaker recommendations? Whatcha thumpin? Cool

My system is a little overkill, and i would do it differently if i were to do it again. It includes cheapy pioneer 4" speakers in the stock locations with little capaciters to turn them into tweeters (camper w/o AC), 6.5" fancier (can't remember the brand... Infinity?) in the kick panels, and a pioneer 10" sub in the rear bench. I have an amp behind the glove box for all the 4s and 6.5s, and a separate amp in the rear bench running the sub.

It is a little bass heavy (need to tune the rear amp), and with the exception of the new speakers, is a totally clean install. You can't see any ghetto wiring. I'm happy with that part. If i were to do it again, I'd drop the sub, or at least hide it.

If you really want to improve your sound for not too much more money, you need to get bigger speakers. It really is necessary. Keeping the stock speakers and adding 6.5" guys will do the trick... I can't really overstate the importance of bigger speakers enough. They really fill out the sound.

As for window crank clearance, I also just bent the crank arm a little bit. No problem. You also want to check for dash clearance. Sorry i don't have pictures, but with conservative looking speakers, it looks pretty clean and not all blingy.

-Damon
wolfsburged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QDog wrote:

Where did you get the add on panel which holds the 6x9? It looks good!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: As Long as You Audiophiles are Active... Reply with quote

Winston has two 6 x 9" speakers in his lower bench seat, Photons. They're disconnected. There are two two-speaker set ups over the bed, and speakers in either front door.

Should I pull them and patch the holes? Should I get good ones and rig my 100W Pioneer amp to power them, if it's possible? Should I put in Sub-woofers, or something?

Ideas appreciated!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburged,

I found them on Ebay Germany.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Doorboards-VW-Bus-T2-T3-fuer-Bo...dZViewItem

QDog[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: