Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is a good size compressor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running on 220v uses half the starting amps as 120v.
M4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought this Champion 5hp 3 phase for $99, wired it up to my RPC and runs great.
unknown force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this one on craigslist for $100, craftsman

Quote:

Sears Craftman 4hp 25gal Air Compressor
Single Cylinder, Oil Free
Delivers 9.0 scfm @ 40 psi, 7.0 scfm @ 90 psi
120 volt/240 capable
Max 125 PSI Phase 15.0 7.5 amps
ASME Code Tank

only thing i plan on doing is an impact wrench every once in a while, and some painting with a hlvp gun. my friends dad has this same compressor but the older one and has been using it for at least 5 years with no problems. for $100 is it a good deal?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Craftsman oilless at it very loud, beware. Can you hear it run?
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months ago I bought a Quincy compressor. Belt driven, 2 stage, 4 cylinder, made in the USA. It is very close to the model John Henry describes earlier in this thread. I'd never heard of the brand before buying it.

My only regret is I did not buy it ten years ago. I'd tried a lot of solutions, like ganging two compressors together. The new Quincy is so much better -- it will recharge and shut off while I'm using my air tools. It is so much quieter.

When I read the specs it didn't appear to be worth 2X what the compressors in the big box stores cost. Once I used it, all I can say is wow! It is worth every penny.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M4 wrote:
Running on 220v uses half the starting amps as 120v.
isant that because it is split between to load services??? so in reality it is about the same.but easyer because you now have two doing the starting not just 1. and what the heck is that noise???
I have 2 60 gallon campell /hossfeed 6.5 hp units. one in my shop to run everything from seat&guide machine, to blaster & airtools. & 1 in my house for painting.if you can help it dont use a old wore out compressor for painting your car. but I reckon thats what filters are for. I just like having atleast 2 of everything. hmm now that I look around I have 2 much of everything.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a DA?

What's a TLA?
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody use this compressor? Seems like a decent choice for the $$$. 2 stage, 17cfm at 100 psi and 15.8cfm at 175psi. Would this be a good choice as a hobbyist? Do you think it would keep up with a cabinent style sand blaster as well as some body tools? Ive been shopping for a compressor for a while and it is all a little overwhelming. Thank you.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_222050-14989-LV5248069_0__...compressor
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any thoughts on this compressor? It will only be used maybe 5 hours/week with an occasional 20-30hours of work per week (once a year maybe). Thank you.

Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever kind of compressor you buy, there are two simple things you can do to help it work it's best.

1) The copper pipe that runs from the compressor head to the tank is usually very short and direct. Mine used compression fittings. I took off the 1 foot pipe and replaced it with a 8 foot coil of copper pipe. I bent it around and placed it in the airflow from the cooling fan. When running non-stop I get much lower tank air temps, increasing my effective CFM.

2) I got a 120V biscuit fan from some surplus electronics and wired it in parallel with the engine. I direct that right at the compressor cylinder head. Most of the pulley fans blow air over the crankcase, but it's the head that makes the heat. Again, my head temps fell and my air temps fell. I put a second fan on the electric motor, but it doesn't seem to help as much, it already has a pretty effective internal fan.

Lastly, my experience is that a lot of people complain that their compressor can't run big impact wrenches or saws or other high-use tools. But I see a lot of them with 4, 5 or even a dozen quick connectors in the airstream on the way to the tool. Every one of those will cut your flow downstream. Use a single large hose if you can. Or, put a surge tank at the end of your run. A 20 lb propane tank with a T adapter on top will be filled from the main line, but give you a surge that you can use for impact wrenches and the like. Just move it close to your work.

Lastly: Drain your compressor and change your oil. You know you have been putting it off Wink
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
vws-microcars4jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busmania24 wrote:
Anybody use this compressor? Seems like a decent choice for the $$$. 2 stage, 17cfm at 100 psi and 15.8cfm at 175psi. Would this be a good choice as a hobbyist? Do you think it would keep up with a cabinent style sand blaster as well as some body tools? Ive been shopping for a compressor for a while and it is all a little overwhelming. Thank you.

I looked at those from Lowes, I'd ask them to hook one up to hear how loud it is. Rolling Eyes
I've had cheap compressors in the past, got tired of the noise. It will work for blasting and air tools but won't "keep up" with a cabinet blaster, meaning it will not cycle off while you are blasting. Even a really large compressor won't. I say pay more once, and not buy a cheap one several times.

I am very happy with this one:
http://www.tptools.com/p/184,91_5-HP-2-Stage-Champion-Centurion-Series-Compressors.html
eshan2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a Quincy.I have a 7 hp 80 gal tank.They run at half the rpms of others and are a lot quieter.Mine delivers 25 cfm @90 psi.So it will cycle on and off like it should and not run its self to death.Don't forget a good quality high flowing regulator either.DeVilbiss or something similar.This may run another 100 bucks or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 12 Cubic feet per minute to DA and to paint without the compressor getting to hot

When compressors get hot they tend to deposit water vapor in the line -- not good for paint

All the other information means nothing !

Harbor freight has several
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, jerry. I think I see what you are getting at. However, I want to run a cabinet sand blaster so I think I need more air. I am going with an 80 gallon and harbor freight only has as high as a 60 gallon. I also dont ever want to buy a compressor again so I am taking my time with my decision.
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallons have absolutely nothing to do with it

the storage tank wil eventually run out

If you run consistantly you need 12 Cubic feet per minute of replentish air

I have owned 1/2 dozen compressors and painted hundreds of cars and semi trucks

good luck
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am still shopping for the right compressor. Let me know what you all think.

My biggest concern is being able to run a cabinent style sandblaster. I am kind of lookign at this one, but I need the compressor first. This says air consumption is 7-15cfm. So, I assume 15is a closer, more accurate number for what it really needs.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200103074_200103074

So, I have about $1300 to spend, maybe $1500 but I would rather spend the extra $200 on accessories like air hoses, cut off tools etc. I would like a minimum of 15cfm at 90psi. Is this acheivable in my budget? What would you all recommend? Have any links? Im thinking an 80 gallon tank would be my minimum as far as tank size goes.

This has been the longest I have ever shopped for a tool, or anything for that matter, (going on over a year) but I am ready to make the leap. I just dont want to spend that kind of cash and then be dissapointed in its performance. I plan on sandblasting a lot (not commercially though, so not every day, probably like 1-4 times/month).

Thank you.

edit, This one still looks like a great bang for your buck deal, but I am hoping to hear from those that have used it.

one more edit: i have read this post 3-4 times and I still feel like Im spinning my wheels trying to find the right compressor.
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each sandblaster has its own requirements - I know nothing about sandblasters - because I take my stuff and have it done. Are you real certain you want one of those things? You can get silicone in your lungs they are a messy dirty waste. And missing the fine dust around pain-- hope you have an outhouse somewhere.
Saving money on Paint is great and you will earn lots of $ dollars but you will save noting on blasting - a trunk load cost a $100--
For painting you need a 60 gallon at about 115 PSI with around 12 CF per minute- this will also run a DA- and a good copper coil for air cooling.
And make sure and get one from CRaig's list-- guys buy this stuff = use it a few times and then it is for sale at half price-- Lot of divorces and guys that have lost there job.
You need to spend about $500 on the above - offer much less than what they want-- they are ready to send it off to ST Vinnies
oldvolkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/2367277590.html

this just came up on CL. Is it a good deal for 90.00??
thanks
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a little small --You need at least 90 PSI but you must have at least 12 Cubic Feet of Volume or CFM -- to paint and run a DA and blast
oldvolkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Jerry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: