Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Transport/Shipping Information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Understandable .... Reply with quote

akrobbaker wrote:
Sorry everyone I am just bitter about the whole situation. I guess I wish the world was a better place. I am frustrated that I put myself in this situation and I hope I have learned my lesson. But now I need to fix my problem and simply get my bus. I really do appreciate everyones advice.

PS. United Road called me this morning and quoted me $1934 if they were to get it. Anyone familiar with them?

Understandable .... Wink

I suggest:

Deal directly with a Hauler
Pay no deposit
Get a direct haul with no transfer
Pay a fair price

You might try:

Placing an ad on Samba under ' Services ' here

@ http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=49

Placing an ad on YT Hauling Schedule here

@ http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

Good Luck !
ElPanadero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: I upped the price to 1550 and 5 hours later = someone is picking it up on the 26th and will be here between the 1st and 4th. So it was underbid by $400. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I hope it is true and actually gets here.

Again, sorry for my negative tone in previous posts.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of advice if you do go the direction of using a broker. When the company calls you with a quote or they have arranged shipping get the name of the company and do a quick google search to see how reputible they are.

I recently had a Bus shipped to FLorida from Costa Mesa by All Day Auto Transport. They were friendly and warned me about the bait and switch method other brokers use. I have shipped cars before and am very aware of how this works. I received a quote of $1050.00 which was to be guaranteed pick up within the week. After five days I contacted them and they told me they have not received a bid and if I wanted faster service I should pay extra. I used specific names of who I talked to and what was said, this seemed to do some bit of good as they called the next day with a quote for $1350.00 and they will pick it up in one week. Not only did the guaranteed qoute go up $300 but the lapsed time had already been five days so they had two days to pick it up. I was not going to hold them to the exact seven days but some communication and a date within reason was expected.. Guess I expected too much. LT auto moving inc contacted me and let me know they would be ready for pick up the following friday which would total 12 days. I was already upset with the situation but I didn't want to wait any longer. The driver does not show up friday, and after several calls and no answer to LT Auto Moving Inc I call All Day Auto transport who in turn calls LT Auto moving for me. I find out that they will be there the next day. Finally contacted on Saturday to be informed they will be there monday and that it wouldnt matter because the carrier will not be there to take the Bus until monday anyway. Not only were they 12 days late on the pick up date but the bus was going to sit another 3 days before being picked up! I called and expressed my displeasure through several messages and asked for a call back. Once again I had to call all day auto to get ahold of LT auto movers . Finally got ahold of them and expressed my concerns and asked for a date that the bus will arrive as well as the drivers info for special instructions. The operator Anna informed me that it would be 4-7 days from shipping which is reasonable.. She also informed me that she could not put me in touch with the driver and that I was to give her special instructions. I let her know that the bus had a motor inside that was heading to the final destination listed in the contract of lake alfered florida. I also asked if there was any way the driver would be able to drop the bus off in another location 150 miles closer than Lake Alfered. She was very quick to tell me that it was off the path of the driver so I asked what route he was taking and she couldn't tell me. I put her in contact with the buyer as he is more farmiliar with the area and freeways. He got ahold of her and next thing I know the bus is delivered to him and they are refusing to take the motor any farther which is also understandable but why would they not contact me to let me know or refund some of the money for not taking it the extra 150 miles. It would't have been a big deal and would have been easily resolved if someone from either company could have called me to let me know what was going on. Anna told me it was my fault for not letting her know there was a motor in the back to be delivered to lake alfered with the bus and the owner of the bus would be picking it up there.. Funny that 2 days before we had a full conversation about the motor and where it was going.

Long story short I looked up LT auto Moving inc's feedback and they are rated 1 star on every feedback site I could find. I asked All Day auto if they were aware of this and they told me they had a 100% satisfactory rating. I asked to see what she was refering to but it is for truck drivers only Rolling Eyes I asked for them to deliver the motor the last 150 miles or refund my $200.00 when Susan was happy to tell me that "We did our job" Way to stand behind your work!

DO NOT USE LT AUTO MOVING INC MC# : 584677 OR ALL DAY AUTO TRANSPORT. THEY ARE A JOKE AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE OR INTEGRITY!

a few sites with feedback for these folks

http://www.transportreviews.com/company/lt-auto-moving-inc.asp

http://transportreports.com/LT_Auto_Moving_Inc
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irishsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am just about to start the process of getting info of shipping a camper from the States to Ireland. Thinking of doing a 3 week trip as our honeymoon and shipping back home Smile Loads to look in to though with regards to shipping and insurance and then the route!!

Better get cracking
Yatranorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: US custom's broker Reply with quote

Any advice on finding a US customs broker in NY/NJ?
Shipping a 1988 VW from Zeebrugge to Port New York.
From what I gathered DOT/EPA is exempt being 25 years
Old,but it sounds like I still need a broker to drive it off ship & clear customs.
Any advice please...am I totally off base.
Cheers
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm considering a vehicle in Japan.
What's lowdown for shipping buying from Japan to USA for an antique car?
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: US custom's broker Reply with quote

Yatranorth wrote:
Any advice on finding a US customs broker in NY/NJ?
Shipping a 1988 VW from Zeebrugge to Port New York.
From what I gathered DOT/EPA is exempt being 25 years
Old,but it sounds like I still need a broker to drive it off ship & clear customs.
Any advice please...am I totally off base.
Cheers

Spezialist wrote:
Hi, I'm considering a vehicle in Japan.
What's lowdown for shipping buying from Japan to USA for an antique car?

On the East Coast I recommend:

@ http://www.schumachercargo.com/automobile-shipping.html

On the West Coast I recommend:

@ http://www.montanaexports.com/

I have hauled cars to both - both have been in
business for years and have shipped thousands
of cars overseas .....
brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just shipped a single cab from atlanta gerogia to panama city beach florida.Now its only 5 1/2 hours away,Had a patriot auto transport contact me with a email saying $280 no deposit required.

So when i went to fill out the stuff on line it said $100 deposit required.So i called the guy he says,,oh no dont worry about that we dont need that,,lets set everything up oh and by the way i need a $80 deposit i said you just told me i did not need a deposit so it went from $100 to no deposit then back to now i need a $80 deposit.Well this was a sunday afternoon i said i would like to wait until the other party is home from work which is after 5pm so you can get it on tuesday Sure no problem,i will find a transporter in that area and have him set it up.

Well tuesday morning the broker calls me 5 times back to back hey we are ready to pick up the SC,is the other party avaibale no i told you he will not be home until after 5pm ok thats no problem i will let the driver know.

Well around 5pm the soon to be old owner of the SC calls me and says hey the driver called me and said he wont be here until wednesday at 5pm to pick it up.I said thats fine.

Well wednesday comes and the other party calls and said well its 6pm here and the driver is not answering the phone he was suppose to be here to get it at 5pm,i said let me call him,,no answer from him or the broker.10PM the driver shows up over there to get the single cab,,so im expecting it thursday morning,,well no answer from the driver all day nor dispatch at 5pm thursday,the dispatch says he cant make it until friday afternoon,,ok thats fine.

Friday comes waiting still no answer from driver still nor the dispatch,,finally received a text message back from dispatch hes not going to make it to you until 9pm ok i will wait,,,well its 11pm friday night still no single cab,,well finally after 3 days the driver answers my call at 11:30pm he said i cant make it tomorrow i said ok get my truck here at 6am i will be leaving at 7am to go to work,,ok i will be there..well its almost 7am on SATURDAY still nothing and hes not answering the phone neither is dispatch.......
He calls me at 9am im about 20 mins from you,,,i said i will meet you at my house

Met him at the house hes on a 2 car hauler trailer raggedy ass truck about to break down i said get my shit off this trailer now,,,he said i cant get it in reverse i said ok lets push it off it only goes in to 1st after he got it off the trailer,,i said dude this was a daily driver volkswagen what did you do,,he had no answer,,then he gives me the ticket for $220 i said man this is about a $50 job..he had no answer for me but sorry...so i ended up paying of course

GAINES AUTO TRANSPORT INC.
770-892-1054

BEWARE THESE GUYS ARE HORRIBLE
wife=72 squareback

http://beachesbugsbuses.com/

https://www.facebook.com/germanmetalvwclub
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: England to the USA or Canada Reply with quote

Has anyone had the experience of shipping from the UK to the North American continent? I read thru a lot of this thread and did some searching, but a potential solution eluded me. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Don
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: England to the USA or Canada Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
Has anyone had the experience of shipping from the UK to the North American continent? I read thru a lot of this thread and did some searching, but a potential solution eluded me. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Don

Don,

Look at my post (2) replies above ....

Recommendations for East and West Coast US import export companies
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: England to the USA or Canada Reply with quote

TrulyVintage wrote:
VWDog wrote:

Thanks!
Don

Don,

Don't know how I missed that. Thanks for the lead!
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: England to the USA or Canada Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
TrulyVintage wrote:
VWDog wrote:

Thanks!
Don

Don,

Don't know how I missed that. Thanks for the lead!

Don,

Not a problem - good luck !
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: England to the USA or Canada Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:

Thanks!
Don

I shipped a Beetle from the UK to Ottawa last year. I had no problems and it was 7 weeks from when I first saw the car until it was in my driveway.

I used Autoshippers International Car Shipping in the UK and they worked with Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd in Toronto. They arranged transport of the car by truck from the dealer in the south (of England) to Liverpool, container shipment to Canada, customs and inspection in Montreal and land transport (in the container) to Ottawa. I picked the car up at a bonded warehouse in Ottawa, all I had to do was get the Form 1 from customs, which was no problem.

They handled all the costs (except GSTwhen I got the Form 1) and billed back to me. [There wasn't even duty on it as the car (Mexican Beetle) was made in Mexico, thank you NAFTA Very Happy ]

Very simple and my experience was excellent. Also the car arrived in the same condition it left the dealer.
Old Shabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Recommendation to ship a vehicle from Baltimore to UK Reply with quote

Hi can anyone recommend a company that ships vehicles to the UK from the port in Baltimore, or failing that New Jersey.

Also can anyone recommend a hauler to take the vehicle from Centreville, VA to the port.

Btw I am aware of Kingstown and Schumacher, but I would like to compare prices from another company if possible.

Many thanks Smile
oddmonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Adventurewagen shipping? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get an Adventurewagen from Oregon to Vermont, and I'm running into issues with finding a carrier who can accommodate the hightop height. Has anyone shipped one of these glorious beasts and can give me any advice or share their experience?

Thanks!
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Adventurewagen shipping? Reply with quote

oddmonster wrote:
I'm trying to get an Adventurewagen from Oregon to Vermont, and I'm running into issues with finding a carrier who can accommodate the hightop height. Has anyone shipped one of these glorious beasts and can give me any advice or share their experience?

Thanks!

You probably are not being told what it will actually cost to haul it as well.

That is a 3000 mile plus trip in Winter.

Have it measured where it sits from curb and add an inch.

That will be the nominal height for an enclosed trailer.

You are better off to wait until the Spring .....
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishsam wrote:
Am just about to start the process of getting info of shipping a camper from the States to Ireland. Thinking of doing a 3 week trip as our honeymoon and shipping back home Smile Loads to look in to though with regards to shipping and insurance and then the route!!

Better get cracking

Contact roadcow (Britt Grinis) here on the samba, he ships VW's to Ireland on a regular basis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mtwesttransport.com/

Just used Mountain West Transport to have my newest acquisition moved from OR to MT where I picked it up to take across the border. The driver, Bob, was fantastic. Great communication and kept me up to date about the car and delivery time. Flawless.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Teren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Getting a vehicle to Mexico? Reply with quote

Just wondering, does anyone have experience getting a vehicle down to Mexico to leave there?
71crustysc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Cal to pa transport Reply with quote

Hi just bought Vdub in Cali lookin for info on transport to pa. Any help would be great... Thanks p.s put deposit down ... Webster transport ... Any feed back would be great!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: