Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite mods preceed me.
casey, pete and the xk venter mafia, dave clymers suby trans option,
everything the tdi guys are doing, and all the other pioneers out there reinventing the vanagon for the team. diesel subys, i5's, bens endeavors,
alika and his renault transaxle option. major engineering going on here--
burley and his magic. expanding capability is a consistency with vanagons.

I noticed that vw vested heavily in the initial architecture configuration, and the peripherals got trimmed towards the end of the design phase, like the engine. the fuel cell is another enigma.
but this little van will occupy me for many years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kennyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70s my parents made a removable cot that ran from the rear seat to the back of the drivers seat (non-westy) for our family camping trips. Tents, suitcases and such were stored under it. It was basically plywood cut to fit between rear seat drivers seat back and just wide enough for one person to lay on, the legs (if I'm remembering correctly) hooked into the middle seat hold-down clamp.
I swear my parents told me this was either a kit or plans that they bought from the dealer.
It was a cool spot that us kids fought over who got to sit or lay on when heading to our next destination. (it was the 70s seat belts were and afterthought and 5 point indy-car child safety seats didn't exist).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there isn't a dedicated cutting board thread (that I could find), thought I'd post this here. I, too, now have the "cutting board over the sink" mod:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And you no longer have to cut that corner notch out, or resize a larger board. Simply get this http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43857-Cutting-Board-Wh...ing+boards (also available in almond for you beige/brown interior folks) and cut out a small notch for the stove grate (easy to do with a drill, if that's all you have). It's a perfect fit! Very Happy

(It comes with adjustable rubber feet, which I removed.)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
Rear Slider mod

details posted in this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247018&start=80

Funny I saw this today, because just yesterday I read this:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97526

and it kinda gave me the shivers. I urge you to read it, just to be aware. I love the slider window mod but I mighta never thought of what could happen.

Sweet Jeebus Vanistan. I'm glad you posted that. I would have never thought how bad the sliding door could hurt someone who was leaning out the rear window. If I did that mod, I'd definitely put some bars up on the window. Ouch and ouch.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Since there isn't a dedicated cutting board thread (that I could find), thought I'd post this here. I, too, now have the "cutting board over the sink" mod:

And you no longer have to cut that corner notch out, or resize a larger board. Simply get this http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43857-Cutting-Board-Wh...ing+boards (also available in almond for you beige/brown interior folks) and cut out a small notch for the stove grate (easy to do with a drill, if that's all you have). It's a perfect fit! Very Happy

Thanks for the tip! Ordered one. I was looking at adding a cutting board so this one seems like an easy option.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SPY machine embroidery with a Vanagon on it! Is this one you digitized yourself and can share, or one you bought and can not? PLEASE! I have the Pfaff 7570, but both PcdMore and SmartSizer, so should be able to convert it. You better not tell me you hand embroidered that! Cause that ain't happening here! LOL I've been looking for the basic VW logo on line, may already have one, but all my designs are on my old lap top and that is no longer working, which also destroyed my ability to transfer designs...

I know everyone else is staring at that cutting board, which I did at first too, until my eyes went down! Wink Thank you for the link on that one. Been debating which/what/where one to get. I can get someone to cut the corner out, but haven't found a cutting board I like enough yet...Has this cut down on your travel noise, or added to it?

tam
kamzcab86 wrote:

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Ordered one. I was looking at adding a cutting board so this one seems like an easy option.

Do you have problems with this rattling around in there? Looks like a great fit!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Has this cut down on your travel noise, or added to it?

shizzon wrote:
Do you have problems with this rattling around in there?

The board just arrived yesterday. However, using my hand, it's pretty much in place and doesn't move; it's not a lightweight board either, so I can't imagine it'll rattle around. Just in case, I do have a little bit of that foamy non-slip shelf liner stuff I can put under it. At any rate, regarding the rattling: I'll report back after Syncro Solstice (van is getting packed up this weekend). Wink

Tam:
So far, I've eliminated most rattles, except the front table mount when the table isn't attached (which is why I travel with the table mounted), and I go out of my way not to add any new ones.

The pot holder is indeed a self-embroidery project. It was a test run with what turned out to be a complete waste of money for what turned out to be crappy software. I've since invested in better software, which required a new computer (old laptop fried, desktop is too old and not enough memory)... Rolling Eyes ; I haven't digitized the entire van yet in the new software (just a little left to do), but after Moab, I'll get back to finishing it (along with other models) so I can start, ahem, selling them. Smile
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

That is one expensive board!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

I just installed this table. I used a jigsaw to cut the notch. Fit is tight, perfect board, almost custom for this use. Nice addition to the Westy kitchen.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

I think mine cost about $9...

Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine took a couple hours to fabricate.....and then they changed their logo...

Go Dolphins

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

MootPoint, that maple top is one beautiful piece of wood. You've done it justice. Every time you get into that van, you must get a feeling just from being near it.

I build canoes and when I'm paddling, the wood gives me a feeling that means a lot to me. I'd like to find a piece like the one in your Vanagon for a couple decks on a canoe. I've used some quilted maple and it was dramatic but that's a special piece you have.

Nice work, there that says a lot about the person who did it. Good on you.

Chuey
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
MootPoint, that maple top is one beautiful piece of wood. You've done it justice. Every time you get into that van, you must get a feeling just from being near it.

I build canoes and when I'm paddling, the wood gives me a feeling that means a lot to me. I'd like to find a piece like the one in your Vanagon for a couple decks on a canoe. I've used some quilted maple and it was dramatic but that's a special piece you have.

Nice work, there that says a lot about the person who did it. Good on you.

Chuey

Gosh, thanks Chuey. That's more praise than I usually get in a year.

Here it is with the top down:

Interesting that you relate this to your canoes. The chunk of maple came from The Wooden Boat Store in Seattle back in about 1991 when I was still building musical instruments. It turned out to be too poor of quality for any kind of tone wood so it just stayed in my shop for about 15 years (and moved twice) until I (and it) found a suitable project.

I do love wood, and it's far less finicky than my fuel injection and emission systems.

Thanks for the kind words. Safe travels in both your van and your canoe!
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya Moot. A bit off topic, but is that one board or did you have to glue it up.
That there is one fine looking stove top !!!! Mother Nature is amazing with what She can create. Shocked
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your $9 cutting board and what size is it? I should be able to make a cut out on a regular one and save myself $20!

tam
MootPoint wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Hi ya Moot. A bit off topic, but is that one board or did you have to glue it up.
That there is one fine looking stove top !!!! Mother Nature is amazing with what She can create. :shock:

It's glued up "bookmatched" style as a luthier would (wood?) do on the back of a guitar or violin: Resawn in half, flipped so they are a mirror image of each other and edge-glued.. It was then too wide to go through my surface planer so I had a friend with a monstrous wood shop plane it for me. Then I glued up the rest (the front piece and the mahogany trim).

The stove top is a bit fragile. It's thiner and certainly not as structural as the original stove top so I have to remember (or remind guests) not to step on it when they climb into the upper bunk.

My favorite mods, however, are this one:

...and this one.

BTW the old stove top, cut into lengths and turned upside down, made nice shelves, complete with a front lip, for inside the new closet door.

Damn, owning a Westy is fun! (usually...)
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Where did you get your $9 cutting board and what size is it? I should be able to make a cut out on a regular one and save myself $20!

I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. The price may have gone up since I got it about five years ago but I bet you can still get one at Wallyworld for cheap.
juliesie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this great and easy idea! This will be the first mod in our new (to us) '90 Syncro Westfalia. Can't wait for our first trip!

And thanks to all of you for the info on this board - we have learned so much!

kamzcab86 wrote:

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operating windows! Just removed the power window motors and put in standard regulators. The breeze is fabulous.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: