Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Ok, I'll wash a ball too Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do think the diaphragm pump pushes the water better.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Tell me more about this pump. Link?

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
More info on the Westfalia shower tap:

If you have a North American market Westy, the existing hole in your galley sink will be too large for the Westfalia shower tap rosette (the gray plastic base in which it stands, and through which the extended hose travels).

I am documenting an easy method for solving this problem. You will build a plastic disc that spans the gap, allowing the Westfalia rosette to be installed.

I previously had a Shurflo faucet bought through GoWesty, which included a disc of stainless steel as its base. Using this disc is a good template, but not required if you read these directions.

The GoWesty base disc has an inner hole that is too small. You could drill it out, but you would ruin the disc in case you wanted to revert to the Shurflo for some reason.

Go to Home Depot or some other hardware store that sells electrical supplies. You need to find a two-gang plastic junction box in gray plastic, preferably with a solid back.

Also buy a 3" hole saw and a smaller hole saw--1" for the inner hole. Both hole saws need the same size pilot bit for accuracy.

Clamp down the j-box and drill out a 3" gray plastic disc. Then clamp the disc and drill out the 1" hole in the center. Lastly, mark and drill the three screw holes and obtain stainless machine screws and nuts to screw it down.

Dress up the edges of the disc with sand paper. Assemble the rosette onto the new gray plastic disc and install into the galley sink hole.

A friend pointed out that sometimes, in the course of play, your balls get dirty. Anyone can wash balls in the sink.

But what if you've got a ball that's too big for the sink? It helps to be able to wash them outside.

I hope this helps.

kourt

Thanks for this. I think that shower head is the bomb.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

center mount brake lamp.

LED dome lamps, amazon sells them, direct fit in stock dome lamps

big bore pistons

headlamp relays, high watt head lamp bulbs, new headlamp ground points close to lamps.

doubled up battery ground strap.

led stop, side marker, tail and backup lamps, amazon has them, direct fit. search for the highest lumen ones, some are very wimpy, some very bright.

rubber matts on floor

oil cooler

larger oil filter, high quality k and n brand.

trailer hitch

three yakima racks

oil pressure and temp gages on dash

fire extingusher

front cup holder, hangs below radio near shifter stick

CB radio, the good ones with 40 channels, not the older 23 channels ones, sure a lot less cb traffic than 30 years ago, but they are cool

high pressure hose clamped on both ends in place of the vacuum hose on fuel pressure regulator, this will prevent hose failure if diaphram leaks, this for fire safety

steel injector manifolds from a 914 car, elimiate the leak prone plastic ones.

lined 30R9 hose for fuel to resist todays government mandated rubber rotting, more expensive, lower mileage fuels

elimination of failure prone plastic bulk head fitting near tranny bell house for fuel., just route the house under the spot that the bulk heas fitting is at. mine failed, fuel everywhere, lucky no fire.

metal coolant pressure tank, if your orignal plastic one has not leaked yet, your on borrowed time.

strap between two front seats to rest bow of kayak on like a sling, keeps bow off of dash when transporting.

radio power rocker switch to stop battery drain when stored for long time

magnet on engine oil drain plug

new windshield, old pitted ones are crap, now I can see again!

jumper battery with cables stored in van great for camping when an accidental left on light can leave you stranded

larger diameter tires...NOT Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , with stock motor and tranny it screws up the gearing, makes mountian driving difficult, stick with stock diameter unless you got a more torquey motor or change gstrqnde

wish list...
larger fuel tank Very Happy

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

"Strap between two front seats to rest bow of kayak on like a sling, keeps bow off of dash when transporting." Do you use a DIY strap? I'm trying to picture it.

Do you have pic of this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Tell me more about this pump. Link?

kourt

Look back a few posts from this post of yours, I linked to my blog posts showing the cheap copy of a shurflo diaphragm pump I installed.

It's good for the water pressure but louder than the stock in tank pump.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

figborg wrote:
"Strap between two front seats to rest bow of kayak on like a sling, keeps bow off of dash when transporting." Do you use a DIY strap? I'm trying to picture it.

Do you have pic of this?

no photo, and I am not very good at downloading (I am a pre computer dinosuar)

the sling is one inch webbing, with a carabiner on each end, the carabiners clip to each inboard head rest support bar such that the sling is connected between tne two head rest support bars. when boat is not in car, the carabiner allows swift removal, no knots to undo.

kayak is 13 foot, 4 inches long. with middle seat removed, and rear seat folded down to bed configuration, the kayak just fits if the stern is on the rear driver side corner against the rear hatch. boat bow is several inches from windshield, and intrudes slightly on passenger space (passenger can still ride up front )

sure beats putting the boat on the roof, makes for fast access to boat.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Somebody needs to add something new here. Ive done near all the cool mods in this thread thread, I need something new to tinker with...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Somebody needs to add something new here...

Okay. I don't think I've posted this here already.

I didn't much like the bulk of the original table-top by the driver's seat - seemed to be forever in the way. But I did want something near at hand when seated in the rearward-facing passengers seat.

Stows behind the driver's seat when not in use.
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

As soon as I saw this, I said out loud: "Yeah, I've got to make one of these.."
Nice mod!

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Not my modification but this was done by Louis Warfield at Rhino design.......
(I guess thats what you call "top shelf" liquor there?)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Not my modification but this was done by Louis Warfield at Rhino design.......

[pic]

Dave

That's a pretty cool mod, but the rattling of bottles would drive me nuts. I don't have such a system in my own Westy, but I have lots of plastic jars,bottles,containers...etc in the various storage areas. The rattling of my own " stash " did in fact drive me nuts. To cure all the noise, I got a big bag of cheap Athletic Socks from K-Mart and slipped one over all those items and bunched them together via Rubber bands. Really cut down on the rattle !
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
...To cure all the noise, I got a big bag of cheap Athletic Socks from K-Mart and slipped one over all those items...

Me too -- dark socks denote it's a 'red' and light socks indicate a 'white'.

Alternate use for front table top.

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
RCB wrote:
...To cure all the noise, I got a big bag of cheap Athletic Socks from K-Mart and slipped one over all those items...

Laughing 👍

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
RCB wrote:

[pic]

Applause
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Neato! Is that gravity keeping it level or is there a support of some kind?

Ahwahnee wrote:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I've done several mods but this one is my favorite:

http://campervanculture.com/shop/campervan-culture...rida-grey/

i'm gonna make the little table over the drawer mod here sooner rather than later - never seen that before.

And i dig the spice rack in the closet door.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I finally worked out that my front table stows under the bench, if I raise the seat high enough. Not sure if that's by design but it works for me.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Neato! Is that gravity keeping it level or is there a support of some kind?

Just gravity on that occasion though there are sometimes a couple of duffels sitting below it on the seat.
dishrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Freesurf wrote:
My Myrtlewood armrest/cup holder table.

Then folds out of the way.

Also, makes a great step for the upper bunk.[/img][/img]

Freesurf

This is great! I hardly use the front table cos it gets in the way.

Speaking of, one of my favorite mods is sticking a pipe in the cabinetry so I can raise the rear table to stay at any level (access cabinets below or swing it to be above the stove)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: