Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Selector Shaft
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Smilie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Selector Shaft Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe I didn't find this forum until a month ago. I could have used it alot the last 5 years. Good thing there's an archive.

I have an 84 Westfalia which got stuck in first gear yesterday. I narrowed it down to being the shift lever at the end of the shift rod. But, that is only part of the problem. The spline on the selector shaft, where the shift lever is attached is worn and so needs to be changed. In looking in Bentley, it looks like I have to take the back off of the transmission to get at it. I'm hoping that isn't the case. Any one have any tips in dealing with this.

Thanks,

Ken
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Tranny shop. Let them do the bench work. You drop it. They fix it. It is a really good idea to update the 3/4 gear slider. They fail, frequently. Go read at GoWesty.com about that problem. If you do not like your ratios, fix that too, at the same time.

It took my brother a year to amass all the tools to do a tranny. We are still playing around building one.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight- you mean the shaft with the splined shift lever that goes thru the side of the case? That's the glory of the late 091/1 tranny (83-1/2 up). Shifit rods and lever mechanism is completely unlike earlier trannies.
You take the lever and cover off and then slide the shaft out towards the left. BUT- it has to be in neutral If it's stuck in gear, there is a bigger problem!
It is true that one needs quite a few special tools. (Not quite all the book says, however!) But I have 'em!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guy Smilie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Ya, 69doublecab, that is exactly the piece that I am talking about. In the Bentley they are called a selector shaft in the 091 and a shift shaft in the 091/1.

I just went outside to the garage to have another look, and, Eureka, it would have helped if I would have looked at the other side of the transmission. Would have changed my original question. That's the bad thing about having a lowish garage, you can't jack the van up enough to easily look at everything..

It isn't stuck in gear, I can switch gears, the shift lever just comes apart everytime you get it in to a gear because there is too much play. So after you take that cover off, you need special tools? It looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks,

Ken
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other special tools. Be careful with disconnecting the backup lite switch wires.
I think you might be a little misled by the pics of the 091. They have no such selector shaft. In 091's the entire shift mechanism is in the front nose cone. Well, all except the reverse relay shaft and the forks and rails, but the main selector is in the nose cone.
I think the splines get ruined by undertightening the nut on the lever, That is a good place for the torque wrench!
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guy Smilie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely right about undertightening. It was hard shifting about 6 months ago, and I narrowed it down to the nut on the shift shaft. I tightened it, but, I think most of the damage was done by then. I'll make sure to torque it this time. I phoned the dealership and they want $600 (cdn) for a new shaft. Gotta love those guys.

Thanks again,

Ken
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cripes! You should be able to get that shaft easy, given the number of grenaded transmissions around. Some body would most likely give you one. My brother is a two hour drive away otherwise I would go see what he has.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Guy Smilie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, crazy price.

Up here in the Great White North, there aren't a lot of Vanagons around. I think there are more in BC and Quebec, but, not here in Alberta. I'm going to check the wreckers, but, they don't usually want to go to the trouble of parting out a transmission. Got any suggestions where I might get a good used one online?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl at AATransaxle. He advertises on this list and knows his shtuff!
Al
Vanagons:
Guy Smilie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help guys. I'm leaving the house right now to hit some wreckers (and the flower shop for the wife and Mom), and a couple local guys next week, but, if I come up empty I'll definitely look in to AATransaxle.

Ken
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: