Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 mechanical fuel pump leaking oil from little hole - Fix?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: 73 mechanical fuel pump leaking oil from little hole - Fix? Reply with quote

I have a 73 bus with a mechanical fuel pump that is no longer used. I just started driving the bus and it is leaking oil from the fuel pump. I pulled the pump yesterday and put on new gaskets. Today I realized it is spewing oii out of a little hole that looks like a breather hole. In my manual it shows a little tube on there, but with no info on where that would lead to. I guess at this point I just need to know if there is a best know method for pugging up that hole. JB weld? Silicone? Wood screw?

Thanks,
Richard the type 4 newbie

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 mechanical fuel pump leaking oil from little hole - F Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:
I have a 73 bus with a mechanical fuel pump that is no longer used. I just started driving the bus and it is leaking oil from the fuel pump. I pulled the pump yesterday and put on new gaskets. Today I realized it is spewing oii out of a little hole that looks like a breather hole. In my manual it shows a little tube on there, but with no info on where that would lead to. I guess at this point I just need to know if there is a best know method for pugging up that hole. JB weld? Silicone? Wood screw?

Thanks,
Richard the type 4 newbie

That suggests a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm and/or(-but-mostly-and) a missing pushrod that is allowing pressure from the right gallery up into the base of the pump.
Colin
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the push rod back after resealing it the other day. The hole is between where the diaphram usually is and the base. Is there an additional diaphram on these fuel pumps? So far the silicone has stopped the leak there. Not an elegant fix, but so far, an effective one I suppose.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's two, the main diaphragm in the middle and a shutoff diaphragm at the top.
typetwojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave the fuel pump rod out. buy a sheet of gasket material and cut a solid gasket to go under the pump.
jim
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typetwojim wrote:
leave the fuel pump rod out. buy a sheet of gasket material and cut a solid gasket to go under the pump.
jim

Careful there, Jim. Right lifter gallery bisects the pushrod hole on the Type 4 engines. Instances of noticeable loss of idle oil pressure have been reported. In other cases, the bronze pushrod guide keeps the oil in the gallery.
Colin
typetwojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to stop giving advice to type four owners, I'm very well aquainted with type one engines, and I to often assume they are the same breed of engine. Please do not hesitate to to put me in my place if I give bad advice.
jim
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typetwojim wrote:

Please do not hesitate to to put me in my place if I give bad advice.

This is your place. Read, write, and learn. Very Happy
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: