Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct on all assumptions, there are 2 balances you need to accomplish with the linkage, one at idle which it seems you have a handle on (that's what the stop screws do) and one with the throttle open a little so it's being opened by the cable (that one requires linkage adjustment to balance as you are off the stop screws).
The 3rd carb (aka the CIS) is to add idle mixture to bring the idle to a driveable level, but you still have to balance the individual stop screws and mixture screws on the bases first to achieve a smooth and even slightly lean low idle, then bring it up speed and mixture wise with the CIS.

For the white plugs modern gas doesn't play like it did when these vehicles were new, increasing the main jet size by 5 numbers wouldn't hurt. Can we see a picture of these plugs?, white alone isn't a bad thing but evidence of burning is, older plug charts that assume leaded gas don't count today.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These plugs (W7CC) were installed new c.15,500km/9,600 miles ago.

What effect do modern auto petrols have on the plugs? I use what's called "regular" 91RON unleaded here which I believe is about 87AKI.

I also use a 'valve saver' lead-replacement lube although I'm not sure whether there's any point spending the buck a (full) tank it costs me. Confused
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether modern fuels make diagnosis of plug colour different from what it's been before?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with no lead, that's what made those thick fuzzy white deposits on many of the plugs on the charts. It takes hundreds of miles to build up any amount of deposits and most of that will just be carbon, if it's lean you won't see anything at all aside from erosion and possibly cracking of the insulator. If it's rich they will be black all over.

Those plugs don't look too bad at all for an aircooled, possibly a hair on the rich side but that's better than too lean, the one closest to the camera is using a little tiny bit of oil.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Super Duper Freaking Ecstatic I came across this today! Thank you Colin!
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Ok, im sending my dual carbs out to tim to get rebuilt and rebushed, quick Q:

Im not sure (the setup came off a bus that "ran when parked") that the idle enrichment valve 021 129 052 A actually works, and Tim doesnt have any kicking around .

I have a somewhat nicer set of 73 carbs that do not have that idle enrichment thingy, and i have to use the arms and the stove mount off of these anyways to have return springs, since i dont have 72 only tin.

I think the 73 carbs are in better shape, but im using the 72 oil bath, vacuum lines, central idle, etc.

one of my 72s:

one of my 73s

Ive see posts that refer to deleting or disabling the idle enrichment valve , so should i just send in the 73 ones, effectively deleting this (this is the other 72 carb)

and then just swapping this style (which i think is for the 73 with EGR, whihc im also deleting , as im running the 72 setup)

for this one, which gives me the return springs mounted to the carb arm and the stove, instead of arm and tin

(the one not circled)

so that way i get the return spring on the carb itself, instead of like how the 72s were

thanks to mayor ratwell

if i do this, is there anything i need to do differently vis a vis tuning? I read that Colin said they are set too lean, and the idle enrichment valve works to correct that problem when cold

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

The 73 style carbs are likely a better choice, you may have to reduce the size of the bleed holes in the throttle plates since they are meant to idle ~15* ATDC, other than that you should be able to tune them properly.

And for all those who say VW never used clamps on the fuel lines look closeley at the second pic from the bottom Wink

Слава Україні!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

thanks!

ok, ill tell Tim that, but just delete the idle enrichment thing (well, if i use the 73's, its not even on there) and the EGR hookup arm on the stove mount
and everything else should be good to go with the oil bath? how much reduction would you say? (or will tim just knwo what to do if i tell him ill set the idle at 15 deg?)

DOHW!!!

the picture busdaddy is referring to i deleted to make it more clear as to wha ti was saying, here it is:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

It depends on what distributor you are using, if you go with the 73 DVDA it needs the larger holes in the throttle plates, the 72 DVDA still retards, but not as much, or if you are using a SVDA or some aftermarket distributor it will need even smaller holes.
The enrichment is nice on cold days, but if you can wait 5 minutes for it to warm up when it's near zero outside you won't miss them. It's only there for instant driveability in the middle of winter, not many bus owners drive on days like that now, a couple minutes poking the pedal to warm it up will give you time to scrape the frost off the inside of the windshield properly and that's just safe motoring! Razz

Слава Україні!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

ok, ill have to dig that out and find out which one i picked up (bus currently has a weber progressive on it, so its got an 009)

and if its zero out, that means theres that nasty road treatment, so i dont foresee being out in it unless absolutely necessary

So if im following you:

73 distributor: Distributor: VW 021-905-205J, Bosch 0231 173 009 or 010 > 021-905-205N, 0231 181 005

just leave the plates as is,

but if i have a 72 distributor:

Distributor: VW 021-905-205E, Bosch 0231 173 005

then i have to have him narrow down the holes?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

It'll be easier to tune if you do, measure the difference between the 2 sets of carbs you have now.

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
Ok, im sending my dual carbs out to tim to get rebuilt and rebushed, quick Q:

Ive see posts that refer to deleting or disabling the idle enrichment valve , so should i just send in the 73 ones, effectively deleting this (this is the other 72 carb)

The idle enrichment valve is solely devoted to helping the central idling circuit operate when stone cold.

It is such a simple and robust little thing, let it live if it passes the resistance test between the spade and ground. Even if it is dead, stick it on to fill the holes in the carburetor.
Colin
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Colin, given the differences in condition between the 72 set and the 73 set, that was kind of my "waffling" point. It looks like i can just swap out the "stove" mounting points and the throttle arms to have the 73 style return springs. Ill have to dig out the distributor and see what i have.

I guess if i have a 72 distributor i could just use the 72 carbs, if i have the 73, ill go with the 73 carbs?

Pros? Cons?

I value both of your opinions, and i really am on the fence with either set.

EDIT: Ok, i have the 021-905-205E 0231 173 005 Dizzy..

so go with the 72s? and if the valve works, it works, if it doesnt, it doesnt?

OR

go with the 73s and narrow down the holes halfway between where the 73 and 72 are for reference.

OR....Since ive got like 5 extra 72 carbs...send him the throttle plates from 2 of those and have him install those plates into the 73 carbs?

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
Colin, given the differences in condition between the 72 set and the 73 set,

I am a little late to that, I cannot tell the condition of carburetors from the outside, other than obvious signs of damage.

Yarkle wrote:

I guess if i have a 72 distributor i could just use the 72 carbs, if i have the 73, ill go with the 73 carbs?
Pros? Cons?

If you have an upper access hatch, go 1973, tall manifolds, paper air filter, simple rugged throttle linkage, etc., much easier to live with.

Seriously, both distributors are interchangeable. The '72 carburetors want the 5* ATDC idle timing off the vacuum retard unit for '72. The *73 carbs do want 10*ATDC idle timing off the vacuum retard unit for the '73. You can swap the vacuum unit in five minutes either which way if necessary.

Yarkle wrote:
i really am on the fence with either set.
go with the 73s and narrow down the holes halfway between where the 73 and 72 are for reference.

I am lost here. P.S. '72 and '73 share more essential carburetor parts than not. Keep them all until you have your bus sorted out.
Colin
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

The holes was referencing how busdaddy had said to narrow down the holes in the throttle plate if i use the 73 carbs with the 72 distributor. But then i realized i have so many 72 carbs i could probably just send Tim a few extra plates.

i have the oil bath cleaner, linkage, manifolds, everything else for a 72, i just happen to have what seems to be a better set of 73 carbs.

heres a few more pics, but overall, the 72 ones look "worse", even though both sets supposedly came off of running buses

72:

73:

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
The holes was referencing how busdaddy had said to narrow down the holes in the throttle plate if i use the 73 carbs with the 72 distributor. But then i realized i have so many 72 carbs i could probably just send Tim a few extra plates.

i have the oil bath cleaner, linkage, manifolds, everything else for a 72, i just happen to have what seems to be a better set of 73 carbs.

heres a few more pics, but overall, the 72 ones look "worse", even though both sets supposedly came off of running buses

Don't let dirt throw you.
Look at how sharp the screw edges are and whether or not the tags are still present. Look at how wobbly the fast idle links are, how wallowed out the link holes are, the condition of the cut-off jet threads AND their seats inside the bores, etc.

Below are my beautiful original 588,238 mile carburetors on the Road Warrior. The holes were oval, the links were almost bisected, the choke plates were getting rattly loose, the carbs were on the verge of wearing out in ways I couldn't figure out how to restore.

Don't let "pretty" throw you.
Colin

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Ok, ill do that, maybe just send both sets to Tim and have him make a judgement call.

But to clarify, IF the 73s are the better set, should i:

A. have Tim put 72 throttle plates in while he is rebushing it, since i have the 72 dizzy, or is that even a possible thing to do?

B. Or just change the timing to reflect the bigger holes in the 73 plates?

C. Or have him try to compromise between the two and see if he cant narrow down the throttle plate a bit?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
A. have Tim put 72 throttle plates in while he is rebushing it, since i have the 72 dizzy, or is that even a possible thing to do?

B. Or just change the timing to reflect the bigger holes in the 73 plates?

C. Or have him try to compromise between the two and see if he cant narrow down the throttle plate a bit?

A) I personally think the PDSIT carbs are adjustable enough to deal with either distributor. Throttle shafts with no slop are easier to adjust the stop screws, which is an extremely important baseline adjustment to have consistent. I frankly don't know how important the actual gap is, because I've never measure with the feeler gauge, but I DO know that consistency is key between the carbs.

B) We of air-cooling do not get to enjoy timing as a method of covering up other symptoms. We set it to 28° maximum advance and say "ok" when we note where the idle timing is. The central idle circuit on every PDSIT carb I have touched is capable of dealing with 5° of timing variance at retarded idle. Your pistons, rods, and heads can not tolerate 5° of timing variance at full throttle. Razz

C) Tim can 'shrink' the '73 throttle plate hole, sure, and you can always drill it back to original size. Most distributors on a 45-year-old car are starting to wear out if they aren't already. This generally shows up as a "wider" timing map, where the idle will be more retarded, assuming you lock your mechanical-only advance in at 28°. In this regard, the '72 distributor at 5°ATDC may in fact idle at 10°ATDC, mimicking a '73 idle timing, benefitting from the larger throttle plate holes.

--

While I'm at it, for Nordhoff's sake please check your upper, base, and throttle body gaskets to make sure they do not:
1) Bind the throttle plates
2) Block vacuum passages
3) Interfere with needle valve sealing operation
4) All of the above

I was at a "4" yesterday in dual carb hell for a few hours until we compared the relatively solid gaskets in a blank white rebuild kit box to Bentley pictures, complete with cutouts and holes for vacuum passages…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

ok, ive got some weirdness going on...I just checked, and the holes on the throttle plates on both the 72 and the 73 seem to be the same size. I went through some of my nastier carbs and found two of the 73s actually had smaller holes, but only on the #2 side.

AND it looks like my idea of using the 73 arm return springs might not work, as it goes a little farther outward (or inward) than the 72 arms are, so im sortof stuck at that point. I dunno if i can just rotate the 73 stove mounts and get it to spring from that direction?

Im about to just say f#ck it and go with IDFs

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting Dual Carbs. . . for rustybus and all Reply with quote

Why not just send all of it to Tim and let him decide what's going to produce the best final product?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: