Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 One-Year-Onlies...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions for you good folks:
1) Does the 61 hood have the holes for the Wolfsberg badge just above the handle?
2) I need pics of interiors of a Dove Blue 61 Bug. I'm trying to bring my interior back to original, but have never seen any pics. The more the merrier please.

thanks!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two different hoods used in 1961, both of them had the slots for the Wolfsburg badge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '61 convertible with the snap cap reservoir and bellows switch and have been trying my best for two months to figure out the "non return valve" that acts as a check valve in line from the reservoir to the bellows switch and squirters. The valve is a plastic snap together "T" fitting. I opened mine and on the tank side of the tee there was a very tiny ball bearing about the size of the one on the end of the wiper motor armature. Seems as though there should be a spring (tiny) holding the ball in place but in measuring there doesn't seem to be enough room for one. The bell seats against the hole in the plastic fitting to keep that water from returning to the reservoir. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I will. Somebody must have seen this and know whats in the fitting. Kevin
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap together valve? I've never seen that on a 61 before! The only ones I've seen are not able to be be dismantled.

The ones I've seen are gravity valves, not spring loaded. They need to be installed with the arrow pointing upward for it to work right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those pics and more from this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464220&

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I have. My T valve will unsnap on two sides, which is how the person that dismantled the tubes, etc. lost one of the check balls. Now I know there are no springs inside, that it is a gravity type arrangement I just need to know what size are the ball bearings inside. I mentioned earlier that the one I did find is about the size of the bearing that is on the wiper motor armature-very small. I mic'ed it and it measures about 19 thousandths. I put the ball in scotch tape as not to lose it. Look familiar? Thanks. Kevin

Bulliwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you 1961 owners found an applicable Krylon or similar paint to match the one year only 023 (L468?) "Sand Stone" used on the steering column and brake lever?

'66 Velvet Green Riviera Camper
'72 Sierra Yellow Westy
'71 Chianti Red Westy ~Sold
'71 Pastel White Westy ~Sold
'61 Pearl White Sedan ~Sold

johnnypan wrote:
"John Muir was a hack mechanic who convinced thousands of people to attempt repairs they had no business attempting".

Last edited by Bulliwinkle on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis No. Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
scottyhoffo wrote:
I have the correct steering wheel, but what about color? The BC says "radscheibe" but that means "wheel disk"... my wheel is painted what appears to be the original L390 golfblau.

Your steering wheel is painted L390 Gulf Blue? Hmmm Confused I thought only convertibles were equipped with color-matched steering wheels.

My hard top has an original dark green color wheel, the body is tukis. depending on color the hard part will be finding the correct upholstery.

my wheel matches the shifter, steering column and e-brake handle. my Daddy bought this car new, I know it original color.
the samba has color information that you can use to determine what should be what color. there were some midyear color changes regarding interiors that some colors had. My original headliner is two tone also, and that is not reflected in any of the online documents. greenish mouse fuzz on all except the top, which is white, lower side fabric is vinyl (ie door posts and area under rear side windows.)

the piping on the door posts maybe hard to find in correct color. the heater outlets on carpet floor and under rear seat where lined with a color matched (dark green in my case) rubber, I have never seen that reproduced. the hood crest is black background, not blue as fitted originally to my car(Wolfsburg crest)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasnt the 3 color hood badge started in 60?
ento Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the correct washer jet for 61 built in April of 61? I saw the other link posted on here but it says it is for a 62 and up

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111955993
64,66,67,68 bug
69,70 bay
61 Ragtop bug, 61 sedan(looking for the vert)
61 RHD Ragtop Semaphore bug fakeAF
64,64 KG
74 thing
55 oval
70 ratrod
73 fastback pignose
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks correct, but who knows if item sold is same as image. Would inquire...
ento Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks. I wanted to make sure it looked correct so that I would know what it should look like. I would rather find an original if possible.
64,66,67,68 bug
69,70 bay
61 Ragtop bug, 61 sedan(looking for the vert)
61 RHD Ragtop Semaphore bug fakeAF
64,64 KG
74 thing
55 oval
70 ratrod
73 fastback pignose
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient Mariner wrote:
Have any of you 1961 owners found an applicable Krylon or similar paint to match the one year only 023 (L468?) "Sand Stone" used on the steering column and brake lever?

Some auto paint places can color match it, if you can get a swatch or large enough piece to bring in, and then you can use a preval spray paint sprayer from home depot to touch up your parts. Preval sprayer are nice for custom matched paint for small stuff.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:

Some auto paint places can color match it, if you can get a swatch or large enough piece to bring in, and then you can use a preval spray paint sprayer from home depot to touch up your parts. Preval sprayer are nice for custom matched paint for small stuff.

The smog people have forbid the spraying of paints in some counties in paint stores (unless expensive air filter equipment is used, thus many paint stores in san mateo, santa clara counties will not spray to test a match. they will use a laser to read the paint and get a closest match by that. I had to buy paint in santa cruz county in order to get it sprayed to match at the paint store. of course the spray shops have the equipment, but most that will be willing to mix the paint for you will also want to spray the part for you too.

Single stage paint is also difficult to obtain in some counties in quantity. water based base coats with clear coats is what is being pushed.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahhaa.. ^
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm...

Laughing

Every where else in the world..... you're good.... ..

We make the joke at work... if a chemical is labeled as such or outlawed in the state of California... its the good stuff.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulliwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bluebus86"]
Lingwendil wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:

I did find a rattle can at ACE that is almost a perfect match for the 1961 only "Sand Stone". I used it for the turn lever, shift rod, brake lever and drink holder. The steering wheel is a NOS that had been sitting on a shelf for 53 years. Got lucky with that one! See the results below. This is my '61 Pear White Sedan.

'66 Velvet Green Riviera Camper
'72 Sierra Yellow Westy
'71 Chianti Red Westy ~Sold
'71 Pastel White Westy ~Sold
'61 Pearl White Sedan ~Sold

johnnypan wrote:
"John Muir was a hack mechanic who convinced thousands of people to attempt repairs they had no business attempting".
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Tower Paint to custom mix a rattle can of any color I want. If they don't have the paint code you can sent them a sample to match. Very reasonably priced and durable and matches perfectly.

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
mstevens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Bentley vw manual Reply with quote

I tried searching around but didn't find the answer.

Since I picked up a 61 rag, which Bentley manual would be the best to buy. The 61-65 or the 58-60?

Yes that may seem like a dumb question as the 61-65 does cover the 61 year, I just thought the earlier edition might cover more items on the 61, since it resembles the 58-60 than it does the later years.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car may resemble the 58-60 due to the tail lights, but that's a cosmetic thing. The body received a number of revisions for model year 1961. The electrical system was revised for 61 (push on connectors instead of screw terminals). The engine changed from 36HP to 40HP for 1961. Lots of differences.

However, a large amount of the body repair photos in the 61-65 book are archive photos showing the previous 58-60 body. Also, while the book is massive, some of the information won't pertain to you (as in the sections about the Convertible, Karmann Ghia and Ghia Convertible).

-Andy
mstevens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Headlight ring Reply with quote

So on my 61 rag, the headlight ring adjustment screws are at 2 and 7 o'clock, is this correct?

One really needs to be replaced as it is definitely not correct. But I want to make sure I am adding correct items back onto the car rather than just keeping odd ball items that the past owner put on.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom adjusters are correct for 61, but as I don't think VW kept the old styles around after they changed in 11/63, anyone buying a replacement from them in the mid 60s onward would have gotten the later styles and had to use them, so I don't consider it a "big" deal if they don't match.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: