Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ek_chuah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump? Reply with quote

OK, here's the story ...

84 vanagon. Bought it 6 weeks ago and the day after I drove it home, the acceleration started fading as I was going down the road. It hesitated a couple of times, then eventually killed. Got it started again and drove it back to the guy's house that I bought it from. He had an extra fuel pump from a junked 85 and put it on for free. He mentioned that he had replaced the fuel filter right before he sold it to me. Got it up and going and I drove it off. Fixed, right?

Well, we took it on a 5000 mile round trip out west, and besides the starter, alternator, and various other nuisances, the fuel problem was gone. Then, today I am driving and the acceleration started besitating again, but in a little different fashion. When I gave it gas, it never fully revved up high rpms like before. It just stopped accelerating on the busiest street in Minneapolis. I looked down and the gas was really low. I thought I was out of gas, so I filled 2 gallons. It started, I u-turned, and same problem returned. Thinking maybe the gas somehow didn't get into the line, I put in 2 more gallons. Didn't work.

This is the part where my lack of general mechanical knowledge really shows. Towed it back to a wrench who pulled off the hose that is attached between the air filter and the engine. Poured a little gas in there and the engine turned over and fired. It didn't stay running, but he said it indicated the fuel pump is shot.

Before I drop the 250 for a fuel pump, does that sound right?

I find it curious that I have 2 fuel pumps going in a period of 6 weeks. Could it be something else? Any tips for basic troubleshooting? I don't have the bentley manual and have no specialized tools.

help Confused
yield27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 84 was not getting any power and it was just a clogged up airflow valve right after the air intake. Try cleaning that out.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure it's the fuel pump, but rather crap in the gas tank. Running the gas tank to near empty caused you to suck up all the crap (rust) in the tank into the fuel filter, clogging it. In most cases, the fuel pump will make unhappy noises, as it is being starved of fuel, assuming you have a fuel filter BEFORE the fuel pump. Since yours is a new (used) one, it may not be providing the "tell tale" noise of fuel starvation, but the output pressure may be low none the less, or the fuel pump is pumping fuel into a clogged filter that was placed on it's output side.

Looking underneath the drivers side frame rail, locate the fuel pump; do you have a fuel filter between it (the fuel pump) and the gas tank? Also, most newer vanagons have one AFTER the fuel pump (between fuel pump and engine to protect the fuel injectors from getting clogged. This is prefered, and most owners place a fuel filter here if their Vanagon did not come with one in that location. Having a fuel filter BEFORE and AFTER the fuel pump is good insurance, although you want one AFTER the fuel pump.

In any event, replace the fuel filter(s), and see if the driving improves. If your symptoms happen again in the near future, you will need to drop the tank and have it cleaned.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Square Fuel Filter Location Reply with quote

Have an 85 westy with a fuel pump noise. I want to add the round can filter along with the square filter. If i am standing at the sliding door looking at the van, do i put the square filter on the tank side or do i put it after the pump in the engine side? Right now i noticed a square filter after the pump on the engine side but did not look to see if i have a filter before the pump on the tank side. any thoughts ?
thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Square Fuel Filter Location Reply with quote

PAdom wrote:
Have an 85 westy with a fuel pump noise. I want to add the round can filter along with the square filter. If i am standing at the sliding door looking at the van, do i put the square filter on the tank side or do i put it after the pump in the engine side? Right now i noticed a square filter after the pump on the engine side but did not look to see if i have a filter before the pump on the tank side. any thoughts ?
thanks.

You should NOT have a little plastic square filter after the pump and before the engine, it's not designed for high pressure. I know this because I had one fail and blow gasoline all over the underside of the Vanagon and the ground . Scared the hell out of me. The previous owner had installed it this way.

If you're going to go with two filters, the square filter should be between the tank and the pump, and the metal cylinder filter should be between the pump and the engine.

Honestly, I would not even drive it if you have a plastic square filter between the pump and the engine.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: