Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your 1st or most Heart Stopping Score?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Your 1st or most Heart Stopping Score? Reply with quote

Now it doesnt have to be all about the Value, the one that just really got your pulse goin.

Mine I think was when I was goin the Wyo. Tech back in Winter of 90'. We were doin welding test cuttin up old cars for pieces to weld on. In the Pile I found a "W" decklid. I was like "No way, oh man it is"!!, asked my teacher if I could have it, said to talk to the head of the dept. I got it for $15 wasnt in the best shape but I sold it a few years later for $125. But just finding in the pile got me goin.

68' Vert
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a junkyard I never saw about 7 years ago so decided to stop by to see if there's any VWs in there. He told me that 1 just came in a few weeks ago. I looked it, found something, went back to the owner and asked how much for the shifter in there. He said $8, paid the man, went back to the bug and unbolted the early Berg shifter then got the heck out of there Wink

Also I got alot of eBay scores back in the days. Like a chipped split dash pod I won for $20, when I got it it had a KDF cog logo on back Exclamation
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 petri banjo steering wheel , one with the horn ring , for free , skim has one that I found. the other went in wolfsburg warehouse 56 vert.
4 real brms for 200$
ambo fans for 10$ etc etc etc

theres more................................

check out my classified ads, lots of rare parts/accessories for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dazed42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi Tach for some coronas and a lime.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never scored anything worth much Crying or Very sad but I'll keep looking Very Happy
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told this before once, but my biggest/dumbest score was a fully equipped VW ambulance for either $300 or $350, I forget which. It was a split but I also forget the year.

I was driving home in Chicago one day in about 1980 and I saw this bus with a for sale sign on it outside a little steel mill on N. Clyburn. I stopped and it was an ambulance with everything inside-- stretcher, bandages, everything. It was being sold by a small steel mill that had bought it new because the insurance company made them. basically it had sat on the lot of the mill since it was new and had rusted but also had very low miles (it was the steel mill in that "Thief" movie with James Cann).

Anyway I bought it, went home, called Jeff Walters, and flipped it that evening. I made about $500 and thought I was pretty slick. Met Jeff at the airport next day and Jeff drove it away.

Pretty stupid, but $500 was serious cash for me back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best deal was a early 4.5 for $60.00, I just asked my tire shop for a spare since I had none, they made a call and said " here's a thin spare for your trunk" I had no idea what I had for many years later.

I also have scored many odds and ends at my local pick your part, like a type 3 tripometer for $15.00

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

restojohnny wrote:
I've never scored anything worth much Crying or Very sad but I'll keep looking Very Happy

I'm on that list too! I'll continue looking in the Recycler magazine and one day I'll find something worth more than $5 and pay only a buck for it.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
crewlvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yhe right glenn you have all the cool stuff. Laughing billy
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to long ago i saw a mitsu eclipse, w/ some 4.5 earlies on it w/ some adapters....

bought her a new set of wheels and got 4 earlies..... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lids
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two empi catalogs in workshop binders from a bloke in germany for £20 thats about $35 Smile
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best major score so far was finding 6 of these puppies (all new old stock):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought them for £250 each, sold them next day for £500 each. With the profits I bought this:

Which, 3 years later, looks like this:

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hong Kong Syndicate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Speedwell sterring whell for .....a Honda sterring whell found for free in a local junk yard! Rolling Eyes And the guy of the Speedwell: Well, you are a little nono dude!...Swap this old and durty wood sterring whell for this nice Honda!" Cool
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a bug sitting in a drive way for a while. Finally asked if he wanted to sell it, he said yes, $300.00. Started looking at it, camber compensator, two trans. straps, hurst shifter, adjustable front end, widened 14's all the way around, and a ported and polished 1641 with dual carbs with less then 8000 miles on it. He also said he had a Karmann Ghia if I was interested, for $300.00. He had started to replace the floors and stopped. New engine less then 3000 miles on it. Only had a couple of small dents on the sides. I bought both of them. The ghia, I found a free pan that I welded in, replaced the rubber brake lines, MC, and gave it a tune-up and sold it for $1600.00. The bug is my 64 that I am now restoring.

64 Bug
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
I told this before once, but my biggest/dumbest score was a fully equipped VW ambulance for either $300 or $350, I forget which. It was a split but I also forget the year.

I was driving home in Chicago one day in about 1980 and I saw this bus with a for sale sign on it outside a little steel mill on N. Clyburn. I stopped and it was an ambulance with everything inside-- stretcher, bandages, everything. It was being sold by a small steel mill that had bought it new because the insurance company made them. basically it had sat on the lot of the mill since it was new and had rusted but also had very low miles (it was the steel mill in that "Thief" movie with James Cann).

Anyway I bought it, went home, called Jeff Walters, and flipped it that evening. I made about $500 and thought I was pretty slick. Met Jeff at the airport next day and Jeff drove it away.

Pretty stupid, but $500 was serious cash for me back then.

That would have been Sheffield Foundry, a gritty coupola-melt iron
foundry. I spent lots of time there as a supplier in the late 70s/early 80s.
Don't remember the ambulance (but in those days I thought VWs were
just old cars). In fact in 1982 I was offered the job of Superintendent
at the place but turned it down. Foundry is now gone with an up-scale mall in its place.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Foundry is now gone with an up-scale mall in its place.

Yeah, I went back and the whole neighborhood is just Yuppie Heaven now. Too bad, there were some neat businesses along that street.

I remember they would always leave the doors open at that foundry and in the winter I would walk past to get to the bus stop, and they never seemed to care if I stood in the doorway to warm up for a couple minutes. It looked like a going business back then.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS early T3 abarth muffler scored here on the samba. This could very well be the only one left Think I know there is a couple later ones out there but not any earlies that I know of.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was writing an article for my local club's newsletter some years back, and I had taken a picture of a set of bus univents. my dad's business partner saw the pic and mentioned that he had a set of those with electric fans in them. an hour later, I got my first set of ambulance fans for $50. this was back when they were selling for $175, and I had very few rare parts (not that ambulance fans are that rare, but they seemed like it to me at the time.)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working at this pharmacy and we also did ups shipping and was working on this package and this man said I noticed you are into those vws, I said yea, he said I got this thing you can bolt on to an early vw for more horsepower, he said I bought it years ago and never used it. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said ahh it should be worth 75.00 if nothing else for the fact its a antique. later that day I went to his house paid him 75.00 and took home a complete in the original box judson super charger kit. uhhh yea I am into those vws Laughing Laughing
4hammers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Very new to VWs myself, but know the buzz when you find a "Goodie" as I call them.
Have just identified my FIRST cool VW score. A NOS EMPI 2-spoke steering wheel (For 61 on, including Ghia, apparently). Took a lot of searching to find out what this was, but found a 1966 EMPI catalogue tonight (12.57am here in Tasmania, Australia) & my wheel is there in black & white. Super excited to have found something cool, rare & NOS.

Rob J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: