Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your 1st or most Heart Stopping Score?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordGarth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just got a 1600 Fuel Injected engine complete for $50. I also scored a complete ragtop roof clip for $300 and found a part wedged in the canvas area that I was told was missing (one of the short rails).
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really heart-stopping, but an example of how [insert favorite diety] looks over newbies.

I was new to VWs and was converting my '69 to a dual port engine. Went to the wrecking yard and picked up all the appropriate tin and manifold. Got home and bolted it together and everything fit.

A couple of years later someone says "Hey, where'd you find that dual port center section for a 30PICT-1 carburator?"

I didn't even know I had something unusual! Apparently it was a part for a 1300 euro engine.

George
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early Flat Four roof rack for 50 bucks a couple of years ago the guy did not no what he had.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
An early Flat Four roof rack for 50 bucks a couple of years ago the guy did not no what he had.

Confused

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt really know what I got at the swap until I saw the will-g post on the previous page....

It is a DDS shifter base that I got for less than a buck Rolling Eyes

I used it with the cheap quick shift kit and the stock shifter and made me a nice 40% quick shifter. Very nice and probally better than the one piece cast alum one I have from the early 70's from Autohaus(?).

I also got one of the little hood vent scoops for a couple bucks. It is a little wider than the one I have and has a smooth finish instead of a crinkle finish. But it is still coool Laughing
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill E. wrote:
Didnt really know what I got at the swap until I saw the will-g post on the previous page....

It is a DDS shifter base that I got for less than a buck Rolling Eyes

Are you talking about the inner metal piece that fits inside the outter chrome housing? if so i need one, please PM me if interested in selling

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lets see.

25hp motor for $40

Formula Vee shifter for $5

Kog wheel shift knob $3

NOS Empi Wood dash kit $10

Original Herbie the Love Bug car $16k. Laughing

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry will-g it is the chrome housing Crying or Very sad

I know these must be good shifters, but what is the scoop on them??

Is just the chrome piece rare, I know the whole thing is and what makes them soo good or so collectable.

Any info on the Autohous one I have?
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill E. wrote:
Sorry will-g it is the chrome housing Crying or Very sad

I know these must be good shifters, but what is the scoop on them??

Is just the chrome piece rare, I know the whole thing is and what makes them soo good or so collectable.

Any info on the Autohous one I have?

I personally have never seen the autohaus one, i wouldnt mind getting one to go with the autohaus gauge i have, they seem to be out there but people hold on to them, couse they are cool Wink

IsomVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best and first find would be our 1976 Standard with very little rust for $300. And all it really needed was a good carb cleaning to get to running like a dream.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95% complete, matching numbers 1950 sedan. Found & purchased it back in May 1998 locally here in San Diego. Came with lots of history from the 70s. Missing only the drivers side window & the grooved semaphores. Price was only $2500
Unfortunetely Crying or Very sad I sold it 3 months later for $10k (which seemed like alot of $$$ back then) to Jason Reich. The car was later featured in the Oct 2000 issue of VW Trends. Jason still owns the car today

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
55OvalCharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarest stuff so far found is

NOS 1961/62 only Type 3 Cats Eye wing mirror

NOS 1961/62 only Type 3 Rear Bumper

BIG box of NOS Type 3 Wing Beading

BIG bos of NOS 1961/62 only Type 3 Front Wheel Cylinders

Not really any of the mega exotic stuff mentioned earlier, but all ULTRA hard to find - the cats eye mirror really made my day!

http://www.aircooledapparel.com

Follow us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AircooledApparel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wagen Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife - Kids

And still making payments!

Laughing

Contact Us -

Email - [email protected]
Phone - 1(760)949-2494
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGarth wrote:
Well I just got a 1600 Fuel Injected engine complete for $50. I also scored a complete ragtop roof clip for $300 and found a part wedged in the canvas area that I was told was missing (one of the short rails).

Hey Garth, the good deal came before you bought that rag. I got that rag, a 64 bug, freshly rebuilt 1600 cc motor, set very nice early pop outs, brand new set of 165's on brand new set of chromies, 2 vw roof racks, set of 4 lug sprintstars with 6 og caps, set of riviera's with tires and a ton of extra parts for $800 bucks. Sold the car the next day for 800, sold the rag section to you, sold one of the roof racks for 100, and the other one for 80. (metal racks) sold the rivieras for 200, sold the sprintstars for 400,put the pop outs on my '63, and I am still running that 1600 on one of my cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a Seattle Vintage meet in the '80s and some guy was selling some good quality repro accessory gas extension levers for the gas tank....... basically an extension of the floor level to just under the dash to flip it into reserve when needed. He had a bunch of them and was asking $40 for them.....

For some reason I started looking thru the pile and at the bottom was an NOS accessory stock extension that I was trying to find for my '59 convertible. He looks at me and says "give me $15 and it yours...... it's depressing my repro sales".

As I walk away, I discover Mike Hornbecker was looking over my shoulder and now offers to pay me twice what I paid for it.......... aaahhhhh, I don't think so....... Smile

Small find...... but it was fun...... Cool
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Litchfield a few years back- rake through a box of misc parts and come up with this thing with Alfa Romeo stamped on it, blackened steel, two identical machined parts that fit together opposite hand to form the tool- true bit of Italian design.

Guy selling is eyeing me and I can tell he really wants to know what the hell the thing is. Wants $1 for it so I give it to him and he asks me what the hell part of an Alfa do you use this weird tool on. I was tempted to make some shit up but he was so puzzled I couldnt keep a straight face.

It was a promotional nut cracker.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a pic of a Mahle gasburner, I spent one day driving around town visiting all the German car repair shops showing them the pic asking if they had any. One shop said I would never find those in North America because they didn't offer those wheels here. BS, but I didn't tell him that. He then went on to say they had plenty of Fuchs. After asking my friends if they wanted to buy some Fuchs, I went back to see what they had.
The first day I left there with a single 5.5 early for $35, and a pair of ultra rare early deep 7 911R Fuchs for $190. Those wheels go for $2500 a pair now on eBay.
The next trip, I got 9 6x15 Fuchs, 4 lates, and 5 early deep 6s all for $75 each.
A few months later I went back and found a single Gasburner for $125 from that same shop that said they didn't exist here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my best score would have to be when I was driving through a tollbooth and the lady working the tollboth told us that she had some vws for sale. the next day, I bought a '54 oval, a '60 beetle, a ton of NOS parts, a ton of used parts, a ton of workshop equipment and hand tools, and a freshly rebuilt okrasa engine. all for a very reasonble price.

I guess it pays to drive a bus....

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Stevec6x6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap.
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, thats a pretty good score Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: