Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your 1st or most Heart Stopping Score?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20 for a working Blaupunkt Derby radio at an electronics shop to go with the under dash bracket my dad was about to toss out.....

I am thinking of giving it to my buddy to put in his freshly restored (top and bottom) 58 single cab.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I guess my best score would have to be when I was driving through a tollbooth and the lady working the tollboth told us that she had some vws for sale. the next day, I bought a '54 oval, a '60 beetle, a ton of NOS parts, a ton of used parts, a ton of workshop equipment and hand tools, and a freshly rebuilt okrasa engine. all for a very reasonble price.

I guess it pays to drive a bus....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YIKES!! Game over. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UniqueVW
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest was finding a ragtop section in a junkyard that well they didnt have one other part for a aircooled vw and they guy said 125 but talked him down to 90 and loaded it into the pickup. all the parts worked great

Parting Out 1974 Super Beetle. Contact me if you need parts.
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just picked it up today. a judson supercharger for 100.00 missing the oiler bottle and air cleaner. I need these parts and then its going on my 51 split so help me out.
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a very nice complete VW tissue dispenser with a great logo at Bandimere Speedway for $7.00
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
Picked up a very nice complete VW tissue dispenser with a great logo at Bandimere Speedway for $7.00

Dangit--- I was asleep again. Sad
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51deluxe wrote:
just picked it up today. a judson supercharger for 100.00 missing the oiler bottle and air cleaner. I need these parts and then its going on my 51 split so help me out.

Can you sleep at night? You STOLE that.

What con words did you use to buy that with? Geez it is prolly worth that in scrap metal.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
basil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I know it's a Super, but I picked up a '74 Sun Bug for $150 a couple of years ago. It was purchased new in MN, driven to CA where the previous owner lived until he towed it back to MN in '96, where it sat in his garage. He was moving back CA and wanted my brother in law to buy it and get it back on the road. He passed on it, but I jumped at the chance. I drained the tank, cleaned the carb, put on a fuel filter, new cap and rotor and it fired right up. It's my good weather daily driver for my 60 mile round trip commute. Not much to look at, but it's solid, gets decent mileage and is a BLAST to drive. I figure I'll cut my air-cooled teeth on this car, and then unload it and move up to an early vert and get serious about a resto.
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 3 original Empi Sprint Star center caps at a swap meet, in a bin with a bunch of '80's American car caps. I paid $10 for the set. After I cleaned them off I realized they were NOS. I found 3 NOS original Riviera wheels, and one used one in the swap sheet for $150. I traded a '81 Rabbit (gas) truck that was in pretty rough shape for a huge load of NOS and used parts. I filled up the minivan twice with stuff. I made the value of the truck back with a bunch of select items, and everything else I've been selling or keeping for my collection.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petri steering wheel I picked up at Denver bug in for $250

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
atye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for an auto parts store and it's pretty clear to the regulars that I am a VW freak. I had a guy at one of the shops offer to give me some "old VW parts" he had at home from when he used to hi-po VW's back in the 80's. So I took my dad's Z-71 pickup and 2 friends on a SAT, only expecting some rusty junk chrome pieces. Boy was I wrong!! We went to a nice little wooden shed behind his house and he had a stack of maybe 5 or 6 or the plastic interlocking parts delivery totes FULL of old VW performance stuff. I ended up with 2 1600cc longblocks, a very complete set of old 45DRLA's (linkage, OG cleaners, tall and short manifolds, rebuild kits) which I later sold Rolling Eyes , new set of chromoly pushrods, 92x84mm piston set (minus one) still in the box, a crapped out pair of 40DRLA's, adjustable pushrod tubes, engine tin, NOS 68-up outside mirror, NOS Bosch 050, lots of VW specific tools and I can't even remember what all else! I ended up with the back of the truck full to overflowing with parts, NONE of which was junk. One of the boxes even had old Claude's Buggies receipts for a lot of the stuff from around 1985 or so.

I couldn't thank him enough, all I could say was that he gave it to a good home...LOL.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I were just out riding when we noticed a small auction and just decided to stop in. It was early afternoon and the auction was almost over. Almost as soon as we walked up to the selling area they brought out a full length roof rack. I heard someone say, 'they're no good anymore, you need gutters to mount them". I was the only bidder at $10.00. Very Happy

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Heart Reply with quote

Still waiting for a heart stopping score!!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... old thread.

A couple years ago I found a Bus ambulance fan switch for $1 in someone's $1 junk pile at a show.... that was pretty exciting at the time.
For non-Bus people, that's probably a $75-$100 switch.

Around the time this thread was started I was getting some tires dismounted at my local ghetto tire shop and I looked at their rack of junk wheels and found two 5-lug Sprint Stars. 4", which I found out later are pretty rare. If I remember right, they were $10 each. It might have been less.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a couple of steering wheels off of Craigslist, one was an aftermarket banjo wheel, and the other was a mystery to me, but I offered the guy the asking price for one, for both. He was happy to get it.

I found the "other" wheel was a Porsche Pre-A, and it came with the horn ring. As best as I could tell, neither had ever been mounted. Sold it/them for a tidy profit.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was perusing the Craigslist one fine Saturday morning and saw a guy selling the bottom end for a 2332.
I called he still had it and then I convinced my wife it was a great deal.
I got a Scat forged crank, Scat H beam rods, 94mm Mahle/Cima B pistons, and a stroker clearanced case for $600.

It gets better....

He said that he had some other stuff at home that I might not be interested in as it was high performance stuff.....hello I just bought the foundation for a 2332.

I picked all of this stuff up for another $900...

The best part is that I was able to turn most of it around and make all my money back on the second purchase plus another $400.

Oh and I kept the Dellorto 45's that are in excellent condition for my new big engine....

So it ended up costing me about $200 for a 2332 rotating assembly and the Dellorto's. Twisted Evil
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terryville, CT Bug-a-Fair; late 1990's. In the very large (for NorthEastern meets) swap area, I spied a grimy crankshaft on the blue tarp, which obviously had counterweights. I casually walk a few feet away, still standing up, and see it has 8 dowels. Now it gets interesting- i pick it up, and can see "SCAT" 78mm on it. Dowels are in nice shape; there are no scored journals or other obvious damage. Ask the seller how much for the old crankshaft- he says $25. Trying to keep a poker face, I hand him the money, thank him, and had a huge smile for the rest of the meet.

Once I got home I tapped a crank cheek with a hammer to see if it rang (forged) or thudded (cast); it made a beautiful ring. Very Happy

Glenn must've missed that meet. Shocked
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
I picked up a couple of steering wheels off of Craigslist, one was an aftermarket banjo wheel, and the other was a mystery to me, but I offered the guy the asking price for one, for both. He was happy to get it.

I found the "other" wheel was a Porsche Pre-A, and it came with the horn ring. As best as I could tell, neither had ever been mounted. Sold it/them for a tidy profit.

I remember that ad, and was on the fence about buying them. At least they went to a friend!! Asshole Laughing
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustforlife wrote:
zozo wrote:

I remember that ad, and was on the fence about buying them. At least they went to a friend!! Asshole Laughing

The ad clearly stated "No douchebags". Sorry that disqualified you. Wink Laughing
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets bring back this thread!

Ive found a pair of Hurst shifters ($20 each), A 2110 in pieces with almost new 40 DRLAs for $400, a handful of pre 67 Bugs and Ghias for under $1000, a Sunlands frame at the last Phx Bugorama for $40 Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: