Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how many turbines are in the Harbor Freight 44677? It seems the more turbines the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
refinisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys i just started an account here because of this thread. I refinish bathtubs anf countertops for a living using a turbine setup. I usually spray with a capspray cs8100 but have also used the new titan 6 stage units. Based on my expierence with theese i can say without a doubt how imperative it is to properly thin the paint. From what i have seen, thinning/reducing 20% makes the paint go on very evenly with minimal orange peel. The manufacturer suggests 10% but they are assuming your using a traditional compressor.

Anyway the point i am trying to make with this is that i have alot of expierence with theese and i can chime in that they work quite well, and while i am not spraying cars with it, i have colleagues who have with good results. We use both epoxy based and ureathane based paints.
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benCarn wrote:
Quote:
What the hell would the longevity have to do with what gun it was shot with?

So if you're willing to spend $40.00 on a paint sprayer, Im more than sure you aren't using high quality paints in that sprayer. Guess I had to spell it out.

Still wanna see some of those paint jobs a year or two down the road.

Thought i'd put up a quick update. Finally got this all finished this weekend, as the bike had been imported from Italy and took a while to register etc. One of the side panels had reacted as well (my fault not guns) so redid this yesterday, came out pretty good seeing as its cellulose paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rest of the paint on this is over a year old and holding up perfectly. Bike is garaged, but unheated, and UK winters are very wet/cold/miserable. All finished -

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!

How much color sanding to get it that smooth?
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No a huge amount tbh. Definately needed colour sanding as there was orange peel, but again thats most likely down to my technique (or lack of it!) Just sanded down with 1200, finished with 1500 and polished out with Farecla G10, that being said cellulose is a lot easier to colour sand then 2 pack.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="paulski"]No a huge amount tbh. Definately needed colour sanding as there was orange peel, but again thats most likely down to my technique (or lack of it!) Just sanded down with 1200, finished with 1500 and polished out with Farecla G10, that being said cellulose is a lot easier to colour sand then 2 pack.[/quote

Is the paint 2 stage? Can I sand the color then clear it? Thanks
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a single stage paint as its cellulose. With a two stage so long as their isn't horrific orange peel on the base coat you can clear over it then sand and polish the clear coat.
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the HF HPLV turbine a couple days ago and just took it out of the box tonight. I apologize if this is a stupid question, i've only done rattle can jobs in the past.

Is it normal that that it pushes so much air even when the lever to spray is not depressed?
Budreaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bllgrn wrote:
I just picked up the HF HPLV turbine a couple days ago and just took it out of the box tonight. I apologize if this is a stupid question, i've only done rattle can jobs in the past.

Is it normal that that it pushes so much air even when the lever to spray is not depressed?

Yes, completely normal operation for that unit. I have the same one.
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budreaux wrote:
bllgrn wrote:

Thanks, I used it last night to spray a coat of primer over my motorcycle tank, at first it was spitting up paint, i loosened the cap in the front of the gun and that seemed to help.

Next question, how the heck are you supposed to clean these things? All I had was paint thinner and that didn't seem to do much. I let it soak overnight but it is still stuck on and I worry that letting it soak in thinner might eat away at some of the softer pieces...
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bllgrn wrote:
Budreaux wrote:
bllgrn wrote:

Thanks, I used it last night to spray a coat of primer over my motorcycle tank, at first it was spitting up paint, i loosened the cap in the front of the gun and that seemed to help.

Next question, how the heck are you supposed to clean these things? All I had was paint thinner and that didn't seem to do much. I let it soak overnight but it is still stuck on and I worry that letting it soak in thinner might eat away at some of the softer pieces...

"Paint thinner" MIGHT not be the proper thinner for the paint you are spraying. What primer are you spraying?
You have to dis-assemble to properly clean
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
"Paint thinner" MIGHT not be the proper thinner for the paint you are spraying. What primer are you spraying?
You have to dis-assemble to properly clean

I am using Transtar Euro Classic Primer:

Euro Classic Primer is a two component primer surfacer that can be applied direct to
metal surfaces. It is quick drying and easy to sand wet or dry. It provides corrosion
protection along with excellent fill and build properties. This unique primer provides
improvements in productivity and reduces cycle times while providing significant
labor and material savings. This primer can also be tinted using Transtar’s exclusive
“Star Shade” system for a better match. Easy 4:1 mix ratio.

I did disassemble, and spent well over an hour scrubbing it with a hard bristle brush and scrapping with a flat head screw driver and got most but not all of it off. The biggest problem I can see is that the plastic tube that extends from the gun to the canister is lined with paint on the inside and I can't figure out how to clean it.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ran mineral spirits or whatever solvent is appropriate through the gun. I spray them like paint onto a piece of cardboard outside.

After the tube and stuff are clean then I disassemble the gun and clean that.

But if you don't catch the paint early enough, I don't know. I have a gun I forgot to clean that is just setting there. There's enough plastic in the body that I'm afraid to soak. So I just bought another one.
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
I always ran mineral spirits or whatever solvent is appropriate through the gun. I spray them like paint onto a piece of cardboard outside.

After the tube and stuff are clean then I disassemble the gun and clean that.

But if you don't catch the paint early enough, I don't know. I have a gun I forgot to clean that is just setting there. There's enough plastic in the body that I'm afraid to soak. So I just bought another one.

I started cleaning immediately after spraying with some paint thinner I had sitting around, apparently that was the wrong solvent.
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Lacquer Thinner or Acetone to clean the the Gun. Then run paint thinner through it.
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brionp wrote:
Try Lacquer Thinner or Acetone to clean the the Gun. Then run paint thinner through it.

Lacquer thinner worked like a charm! Thanks guys.
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled through sanding tremendous amounts of orange peel when spraying the primer over the past week. Tonight I took my first stab at spraying my base, I am using PPG Deltron with PPG reducer. I used more then the recommended reducer after thinking that was the trick with turbines but now I wonder if I should have used less

My results are astoundingly bad and I don't think I could have done worse if I tried. I am going to try using less reducer but I am open to suggestion at this point.

[img]
[/img]
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an Alien head... Wink
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a BAD case of fish eye.
Budreaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bllgrn wrote:
I struggled through sanding tremendous amounts of orange peel when spraying the primer over the past week. Tonight I took my first stab at spraying my base, I am using PPG Deltron with PPG reducer. I used more then the recommended reducer after thinking that was the trick with turbines but now I wonder if I should have used less

My results are astoundingly bad and I don't think I could have done worse if I tried. I am going to try using less reducer but I am open to suggestion at this point.

[img]
[/img]

I use mineral spirits and use a 50/50 mix. Lays down smooth and levels nicely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: