Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like surface contamination to me... either already on the surface, or possibly from the gun itself...

GEX has. Just sayin
ShadyOne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your paint and primer are not compatible. Had it happen before airbrushing... If thats not it there is some def contamination goin on, Did you wipe it down with anything before you sprayed ect? What kind of primer did you use?
DrFlySuperfunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Setup using the Harbor Freight (44677), tips, reducer, etc.? Reply with quote

Hey All,

Anybody who has used the Harbor Freight HVLP (I have the 44677 gray larger one) -- any tips on the needles or reducer for epoxy primer? I'm not sure what size the different tips actually are but was hoping to spray epoxy primer, then basecoat, then clear (House of Kolor paints for Blue-Blood Red right now). I'm doing a 280Z and then a 78 Bus.

I setup with the epoxy primer today for a quick test as the sun was almost setting, but things came out pretty chunky -- I'm guessing that I didn't thin enough with reducer from the comments I've read on this thread...

Any thoughts on the tip sizes, reducer amount, or HoK paints?

Thanks!
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Setup using the Harbor Freight (44677), tips, reducer, e Reply with quote

DrFlySuperfunk wrote:

Any thoughts on the tip sizes

Thanks!

Try the smallest one, it seemed to work the best for me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Setup using the Harbor Freight (44677), tips, reducer, e Reply with quote

DrFlySuperfunk wrote:
Hey All,

Anybody who has used the Harbor Freight HVLP (I have the 44677 gray larger one) -- any tips on the needles or reducer for epoxy primer? I'm not sure what size the different tips actually are but was hoping to spray epoxy primer, then basecoat, then clear (House of Kolor paints for Blue-Blood Red right now). I'm doing a 280Z and then a 78 Bus.

I setup with the epoxy primer today for a quick test as the sun was almost setting, but things came out pretty chunky -- I'm guessing that I didn't thin enough with reducer from the comments I've read on this thread...

Any thoughts on the tip sizes, reducer amount, or HoK paints?

Thanks!

I am just about done with my first project using the same setup. It took me many many tries to get decent results out of the gun.

What I found worked for me was using a little less then the recommended reducer and then turning the knob on the back of the gun all the way closed so it will not pass any paint and then backing it off just a little bit so I got as fine a spray as the gun would allow.
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, my HF HPLV sprayer broke on me last night after using it about a dozen times, purchased it new 7-8 weeks ago.

Sounds like a bunch or rocks rattling around inside of it.
2tone64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I am in the clear coat stage of my "everything wrong" paint job... Using the HF HVLP paint combo.

Here is a short
Link
of the bug in the color coat stage, couple hours after shooting it. Like I mentioned above, I am doing everything wrong, just to see what happens. I guess you can say I am a glutton for punishment!
I seem to learn better from mistakes.

So far the process has been sand the old paint, fix body work, then shoot the Finish 1 two part primer with the HF HVLP gun. Worked great takes some getting used to.

Next shoot with Duplicolor Pearl Lime. Yep the crappy duplicolor, thin as water lacquer. Worked pretty well, don't expect much of a shine. Then I shot a couple of quick coats of lacquer clear for a bit of protection while it dried.

This morning I just shot the front clip with Crossfire CC5000 urethane clear, same gun. Pretty damn good! Less overspray than what I am used to, layed on really nice!

This is where I was starting from
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Primer:

ColorCoat before clear coat:

Last edited by 2tone64 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
bllgrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! did you shoot the paint right there in your driveway?
2tone64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shot it right where it sits... outside in the driveway, wifes convertible is in the garage.

this was more of an experiment to see what works and what doesn't. So far I am impressed for the cheapness of the HVLP setup, my last car I painted was almost 20 years ago, my compressor I used back then is no longer in service and to get 'back in the game' I was looking at over $600 in tools that I won't use for long time again... $67 for a cheapy gun and plastic box is not bad.
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like surface contamination, paint did not "stick" to contaminated areas.

I used the Campbell Hausfeld 2500 sprayer to paint my '64 Bug a few weeks ago and it did paint the whole car. I did get significant orange peel that I am in the process of color sanding out. I think these cheaper turbine sprayers definitely do not atomize the paint as well as a more expensive turbine sprayer or a regular compressor based system, so be warned.....an experienced painter can probably do good with them (like Evilbox on this thread), but if you are a newbie, a traditional gun is probably the way to go. Of course, there are many variables, so I'm sure my bad technique has something to do with it too. Very Happy

For me, I wanted to keep costs cheap because I am DIY'ing everything, so I don't really mind colorsanding it more, although it is kind of a PIA! It's colorsanding out well (800 on rougher spots, 1000 on most spots, and finish with 1500) and will look great when I'm done, I'll post a pic here when the time comes.

bllgrn wrote:
I struggled through sanding tremendous amounts of orange peel when spraying the primer over the past week. Tonight I took my first stab at spraying my base, I am using PPG Deltron with PPG reducer. I used more then the recommended reducer after thinking that was the trick with turbines but now I wonder if I should have used less

My results are astoundingly bad and I don't think I could have done worse if I tried. I am going to try using less reducer but I am open to suggestion at this point.

[img]
[/img]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre paint

Painting (yikes)

1/2 done

The worst of the peel (3 or 4 coats, I layed it on thick), before/after color sanding

Color sanded and buffed (few spots I need to touch up in the drip rail area, will use Preval for that when time comes, I used DCC single stage)

72KYLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, what type of paint did you use?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380391
------------------------------------------------

beetle bums VW club

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4231157#4231157
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Ppg dcc single stage...high quality paint....low quality paint gun and painter...haha!
72KYLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks beautiful!

I love the color.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380391
------------------------------------------------

beetle bums VW club

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4231157#4231157
pdivizzle0112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question: to do a 2 stage paint job with one of these, do you spray the clear directly after you spray the base? or is there some kind of wait time in between?

also, if there is orange peel in the base coat, do you color sand it out, then clear over it? im kinda new to the whole painting thing and im trying to gather up as much info as i can..gotta run out and get some books. im a mechanic by trade, but a total newb when it comes to paint
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Indigo Blue is a great color. I looked at the mixing formula and it's basically half blue and half violet. Very cool, deep color. One bad thing is that this is my first DYI paint job and this color is very dark, almost black. I could have made it easier on myself by using a lighter color. Oh well!

For a first timer I would not recommend base/clear. You must make sure your surface is very flat before spraying and then you must make sure you don't get a lot of orange peel when spraying the paint, otherwise you will break through when color sanding. Which requires more color and then reclearing the whole panel with a 2 stage system.

If you use a cheap HVLP turbine sprayer, you will most likely get a lot of orange peel because they don't atomize the paint as well as a higher end sprayer.

I broke through in a lot of little tiny spots around the car. When I'm done sanding, I plan on using a preval to touch up and then sand out and buff those spots. I have leftover paint from when I painted the car so it should match good.
2tone64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point of clarification: You don't want to color sand a metallic finish. Hope for a smooth laydown, then layer clear coat, then wetsand the crap out of the clear.

I found that using the little turbine sprayer worked better when I thinned out the material a bit more than usual, probably because the unit isn't very powerful. There is a bit of a learning curve if you are used to traditional equipment. The other bit I learned, when shooting outdoors, go for early morning... I would start shooting at 7am, nice and cool, and the bugs were still snoozing!!! I couldn't believe how many bugs were out at 5pm and later, must be attracted to the chemicals.
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is no way I would attempt to spray anything but a solid color non BC/CC with a cheapo sprayer.

You need to allow yourself some room to sand with this method, as the finish will be far from perfect.

So, pick your poison.....use cheapie sprayer, put down an extra coat or two, and then spend LOTS of time sanding. Or, buy more expensive equipment that sprays better and get a better chance for a smoother surface....but not guaranteed!

Yes, bugs seem to come out more at dusk/night, morning is a good idea. As you can see from my pics, I made a makeshift booth in my garage, worked pretty good.

Oh, you can never have enough lighting....hard to paint good when you can't even see what you are doing!
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest part of painting for me is just to calm myself down. I have done hours of prep work and can potentially ruin it in the next few minutes. By the time I have mixed it and gotten dressed for it I am usually hyperventilating in my mask and fogging my goggles. I get pumped. Which doesn't help. This is what I've learned. Whatever you are painting, do not try to lay it on thick right from the get go. Jam it first. Meaning you get all of the hard to get to places first. Then just lightly mist the whole piece and walk away for 5 minutes to let the mist tack up. Then go back and lay down your finish coat. The guy that taught me had a saying, Its a fine line between a nice finish and a run.
tnc19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: harbor frieght hvlp gravity feed Reply with quote

So I just bought this gravity feed HVLP spray gun from Harbor Frieght. Model 47016.

I have finally finished welding my front floor back together. I am getting ready to shoot some L345 (grey) in my front cab area of my bus).

I have never used an HVLP gun. I bought it and a pressure regulator. I have my paint. I'm ready to get'er done!!!! BUt I am wondering if anyone has used this gun before and has any tips for a first time painter, painting in the driveway, using this $25 spray gun from Harbor Freight.

Can you please give me any tips, do's, or don't for using this cheapo gun? I just want to get some paint on the cab, for my "driver", but I am shooting the whole cab, so I want to make sure it doesn't look too hammered!

Please any tips for shooting this, mixing the paint, or anything else for a first timer would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: