Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook wrote:
Don't paint a car with that

couldn't disagree more...

I've painted plenty with these cheapo guns and they work just fine....
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

here's a two stage ppg job done with the cheapo deapo HF purple HVLP...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so yeah I'd say they work just fine.. BTW the bus is single stage omni...
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

So ...what's that 'muffler-looking' thing in the rear passenger side wheelwell?? Muffler for a gas-heater??

Nice paintwork, BTW!
oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Charcoal canister for evap system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

ah hah ....72 Super. Got it. Funny, on the earliers, like my 66, that had the gas heater mounted above the transmission (under the luggage pane), they had a straight pipe coming out there that was the exhaust pipe for the gas heater ....never saw one with a muffler, though. LOL

...there's a line you can string someone!!
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Just primed my bug in cellulose using this ancient Apollo turbine unit i borrowed off a friend in our local VW club:

Working in a small 18ft x 8ft garage the complete lack of overspray has been a godsend.

Will see what the topcoat comes out like but really happy with the finish on the primer especially as its my first attempt at spraying anything. Very Happy

Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Topcoat comes out OK too. Smile

Managed to paint it with no orange peel too.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Time for the annual check in!

I still have a perfectly good $30 HF HVLP turbine that I've been using for all kinds of stuff. I had hoped to paint the 64 with it, but SharkDaughter has other ideas...

We still have a few months before we get to that point, but at the moment she's settled on Kirker Pale Agave Metallic. And she wants white sides (we'll figure out which color white later). With a metallic I'm going to do two stage as well. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/kirker-black-diamond-lvb-pale-agave-metallic-lvb-31264-p-17511.aspx

I've used Kirker single stage in the past, but not their two stage. However I've never sprayed metallics. The lack of different tips for this HF rig makes me realize I should invest in a better spray system.

So now I was looking at a Fuji kit, but a guy on another forum suggested I look at the Showtime 90: http://www.tptools.com/Showtime-90-HVLP-Turbine-Un...l?b=d*8049

Anyway, should be fun!
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Painting noob...Would a 3 gallon, 100psi pancake air compressor be able to sufficiently power the Harbor Frieght hvlp spray gun? I am looking to paint some replacement panels and just blend some paint.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Start at the Beginning of this thread & learn what DurocShark etc have been discussing for 10 years. He says the HVLP turbine are cheapest & easiest to use. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Start at the Beginning of this thread & learn what DurocShark etc have been discussing for 10 years. He says the HVLP turbine are cheapest & easiest to use. Cool

Smile

I did break down and buy a TP turbine kit ($600) for the 64's tri-stage pearl that I'll get to actually do someday.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Painting noob...Would a 3 gallon, 100psi pancake air compressor be able to sufficiently power the Harbor Frieght hvlp spray gun? I am looking to paint some replacement panels and just blend some paint.

It’ll work in a pinch , you will just have to go slow and get your timing and pressure right.

What will happen is you may loose pressure as you spray and have inconsistent spray volume and pattern. This could be a problem on a large flat panel. Also because the compressor will run a lot and get hot water vapor may be a issue so have a filter.

Any way , I know it works cause I have sprayed some cabinets using a 3 gallon . Slow.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

I bought the purple HVLP gun and it worked out pretty good. Just wanted to have it for when I paint the fenders (and maybe the whole car)... I made a review of it for my YouTube channel too.

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Horse Hockey. Most of the posts on this thread are horse hockey. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using HF a cheapy gun. Is it as good as a Sata? Not even close. Will it do good job? Damn right it will.

A cheapy HF is certainly scraping the bottom of the barrel , a 150$ ProTec will work much better (which is what I use for base/clear) but a HF will do the job too.

It's like welders: in the right hands a 90$ HF flux core will do miracles, in the wrong hands a 2000 TIG machine will make a mess.

Buy a cheap gun and practice. Talk to the guys at the paint shop. The worst that can happen is you'll have sand out learning experience and do it again.

There are SO many other things to consider in a paint job the gun is pretty much the least of your worries. Having the courage to try is the key.

Fail early, fail often, fail forward.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

I have not painted my car with the cheap HF turbine gun yet, but I will.
We replaced our steel front door on the house with a fiberglass one. The handyman who did the work said he would not paint it because they never come out right, and said take it to a place that paints cars. I bought the cheap turbine, did it myself. Came out fine. Started out with paint a little too thick, but I adjusted that. Will paint the car after all the rust is cut out and new metal welded in, in the spring. I am sold on the gun.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

Ok, I would like to paint my vehicle with a turbine sprayer but, where do I get one nowadays that doesn't cost 400 to $500.00?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

That's about the going rate for a good quality one. The closest thing to the one in my OP any more is this: https://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

But I have a TP Tools 2 stage now: https://www.tptools.com/Showtime-90-HVLP-Turbine-U...?b=d*51867

Oddly I still haven't sprayed a whole car with it, but I've sprayed lots of lacquer and painted tin and stuff.
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

I have a hard time justifying buying a good turbine sprayer when I have a good compressor and can get a pretty good spray gun. I got a quote of 3000.00 from a auto body place to do the car, taken down to bare metal and doing inside doors, hood, etc... Seems like a better deal now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

I've had good results spraying BC/CC lacquer with a siphon gun.
No serious orange peel, so only needed a light machine buffing after a couple weeks.
You'll wait a year & nitpick what the painter does, so you might as well do it Right yourself.
Use a spot sand blaster to blast only the rust/bare metal before phosphoric acid rust killer & primer.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LEN-ABS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED Reply with quote

dart451 wrote:
I have a hard time justifying buying a good turbine sprayer when I have a good compressor and can get a pretty good spray gun. I got a quote of 3000.00 from a auto body place to do the car, taken down to bare metal and doing inside doors, hood, etc... Seems like a better deal now...

If they are stripping off the old paint and applying a "good" acrylic urethane paint then the $3000 is a decent price. A gallon of good paint with hardener and reducer will probably cost over $1000.

Depending on the size of the vehicle you might get away with less than a gallon of paint but it's usually good to have some left over in case you need it down the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: