Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pope's Nose Tutorial Needed
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Pope's Nose Tutorial Needed Reply with quote

Now that I have wires going to my pope's nose (1950 standard), I have a license light. I don't seem to have a brake light. The more I read on various sites, the more I am confused.

Presently I have one bulb in a single bulb holder with a single-element base and bulb. I assume I am missing something/s. Should there be two bulbs that work independently? How many lenses are there? What color(s)? Is there a lense between the bulbs, assuming there are two bulbs? Or is there a dual filament bulb that brightens when the brake is applied, assuming the lights are already on? Maybe I have the wrong bulb holder, but it does seem to fit correctly.

There are two wires going to the pope's nose. Is that correct? And two wires go to the terminal on the bulb holder. My bulb holder looks like this: http://www.kaefer-nostalgie.com/electrical.htm #45. Can anyone tell me what I need? If this wandering narrative makes you as confused as it does me, I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Confused --David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two wires going to the pope nose light bracket. One goes to the brake light, the normal looking single element bulb. The other is a bullet shaped single element bulb, that is the tag light. I have a clear outer lens and a inner red lens. The inner red lense is smaller and is aluminated by the brake light bulb. This was a little confusion for me also, until I got all of the parts in my hands and started putting it all together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Now need the bulb Reply with quote

I'm starting to see how it all goes together. Found a source for the red lens. But who has the stop light bulb? My literature gives numbers F 6v 15W D1N72601 and VW# N17 716 1. Any leads?--David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my stop light bulb from Shawn at Vintage Parts, PM me for his email address. It's the same bulb as in the taillights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a current source for the red portion of the lens (brakelight)? Can someone point me to it?

Thanks!
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from Kaefer Nostalgie. As with most of their other repro parts, it didn't fit very well.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdvanderploeg wrote:
I bought mine from Kaefer Nostalgie. As with most of their other repro parts, it didn't fit very well.

Bummer. Do you have photos of how it is assembled?

Did anyone else out there reproduce it?
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't take a picture, but I think once you have the piece, you'll see that there's only one way it can go in. With a little grinding, you can make it fit okay. It just doesn't seem like that should be necessary.

I didn't find another source, but that doesn't mean there isn't one......I ordered it from K-N with a bunch of other parts, so didn't really look very hard for an alternative.

That's probably the least helpful reply I've ever written!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdvanderploeg wrote:
No, I didn't take a picture

OK,I'll keep looking then.

It would still be great if you could snap a quick picture of it when you get a chance. Right now (as you can see in the picture in my gallery) I've got just the clear outer lens. I'm actually wondering what it looks like from the outside.

Thanks much!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones that Zarwerks used to sell. This was from their website so I don't know how well they fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm embarassed/proud(?) to admit that I made my red brake lens from a busted taillight off a 2014 "VW Routan" (VWs former name for the late rebadged Chrysler Town and Country) it was cracked but still had a huge expanse of nice deep red plastic from which I cut out the correct shape lens and bent to final shape after warming with a heat gun, I got tired of all the incredibly thin and faded isinglass originals I usually see, I am fairly certain mine will remain deep red for much longer than the original ones did, and I feel good about recycling a broken Routan part into an actual VW
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea Bill. I have a recycled Touareg taillight that might also work. I'm still not sure what piece I am missing or how it fits. I really need a picture. Crying or Very sad
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, assuming you have this piece: (oh wait thats from your gallery so thats a yes!)

the tubular license plate bulb sort of hangs over the top of the red lens and the larger brake light bulb shines thru the red lens which is installed under the nose piece, the whole thing has to be removed from car to insert the red lens, it sits at an angle inside there so the license bulb just lights up the plate without any red light and the larger bulb just shines thru the red lens piece, I have my nose held on with the lower 2 studs having regular nuts on them with the nose fully bolted down then the bulb holder goes on over the nuts with wing nuts only so you can change the bulbs without any tools, you can just see the angle of the red lens in this photo:

like the sugestions above you can make your own lens out of any red semi flexable plastic but even the store bought ones will likely require some grinding to fit, once the nose is back on the car that red lens isnt going anywhere as long as its anywhere near the right size and shape, heres another view from the back, the red lens fits against the upper curved lip piece of the nose assembly here:

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka!

Now I understand. I actually have a bleached out, melted piece that looks much like that. I was wondering what it was for.

Thank you Bill for the picture and explanation. It is exactly what I needed!
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, bleached out melted piece of plastic, thats it!
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to make them years ago Nancy but stopped when I cut back and stopped making the low dollar stuff. Let me look and see if I still have the tooling. I do know that I bought a huge sheet of acrylic and have plenty left. I cut the flat shape with patter and a bandsaw, immerse what amounts to a bent coffee can into a pot of boiling water, then use tongs to lower it in and form it around the can. It was trial and error and I had to tweak it by softening areas again by dipping them in the boiling water, bending then dunking in cool water. I was proud that I figured out how to make them, but it was basically a PIA (the water had to be really boiling hard to work right) to make a $35 part, so I quit doing it. By test fitting each piece into a popes nose though, I could tweak and get a real nice, even fit. The pic above is mine.

I wouldn't mind making another few if you can't find anything. I have seen "NOS" ones a few times, but they are brittle and the color is usually faded.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

I wouldn't mind making another few if you can't find anything. I have seen "NOS" ones a few times, but they are brittle and the color is usually faded.

The only one I've found is the KN one but I've not heard good things about it. Sad

I've got 38 days to get my car fully functional for this Concours show so I'm in a bit of a rush. Embarassed It may be a detail I'll have to miss.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
.... I cut the flat shape with pattern and a........

Can you make this pattern available here on the Samba?
Post a photo from straight on, and include the overall length in mm. Then anyone here can print out the photo, then scale the photo until it is the right dimensions.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
.... I cut the flat shape with pattern and a........

Can you make this pattern available here on the Samba?
Post a photo from straight on, and include the overall length in mm. Then anyone here can print out the photo, then scale the photo until it is the right dimensions.

If I can find it, I will.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be happy for the pattern… Smile

Oh, well.. Nevermind.. I did my own pattern already.. Wink

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: