Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rotisserie
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the best. love it. Do the roller wheels lock to hold it in position?

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you asked. I was surprised at how well it balances. It will stay in any position by itself. When I am really pounding on the truck I use a "C" clamp on the ring to hold it. The wheels were found at a scrap yard for $10 each. Keep it simple.
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. very nice job
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: i ned to get a circle rotisserie Reply with quote

those any body have a circle rotisserie for a vw bus that want to sale,or the measurements to build one.i like the one that has wheels to move around the shop.thanks up front to all the help from you guys
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have developed my version the ROLLER HOOP and been selling these type rotisseries for a few years now since 2006, they will work with any type of classic car, truck, van, etc. With a foot brake to stop and lock in any position, at all four contacts and a quick release with a flick of your toe, your rolling again! A very efficient, safe, and reliable way to restore your classic. We have sold some to trailer manufacturers, US Arsenal, the movie industry and have about 82 units out now 4 in Canada, 2 in Mexico City, one in Australia anybody needs one ready to go just visit www.rollerhoop.com available for shipping with in days of order if not the same day.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is too small for a bus. Please post a photo of it being used on a bus.
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: dodecagon Reply with quote

redbug64 wrote:
does anyone have the lengths of the sides etc for the polygon style rotisserie? I would like to build one similar for my bus.

A friend of mine walks in the shop the other day as I'm laying out the 12 sides for my new rotisserie and he asks me what I have there. I tell him it's a polygon rotisserie. The guy is a walking encyclopedia and he starts to count how many sides it has. He then proceeds to tell me it is in fact a dodecagon (12 sided polygon) rotisserie. I did not know what a dodecagon was but I do now. Looking forward to having another dodecagon rotisserie as I sold my last one to some guys from the BPA.

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering building a hoop rotisserie for my bus. I'm working out of a standard garage and don't have a ton of vertical space. GlideKing's Rotisserie is 100" hoops, which would be too tall for my meager garage. Does anyone know the minimum hoop diameter that could be used considering I have an 8' ceiling, and in fact it'd have to be a little less than that if you were creating the roller stands. I mean obviously the bigger the hoop, the more room you have around the rotisserie to work and do metal etc, are there other advantages, like center of gravity etc? I noticed the rotisserie at the beginning of this thread, the hoops are much closer to the bus, looks like a smaller hoop. Thanks!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
I'm considering building a hoop rotisserie for my bus. I'm working out of a standard garage and don't have a ton of vertical space. GlideKing's Rotisserie is 100" hoops, which would be too tall for my meager garage. Does anyone know the minimum hoop diameter that could be used considering I have an 8' ceiling, and in fact it'd have to be a little less than that if you were creating the roller stands. I mean obviously the bigger the hoop, the more room you have around the rotisserie to work and do metal etc, are there other advantages, like center of gravity etc? I noticed the rotisserie at the beginning of this thread, the hoops are much closer to the bus, looks like a smaller hoop. Thanks!

If you look at the one I used to have on page 1, it worked in 1 bay w/ a 8' ceiling, not a hoop style, but it worked great !

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: dodecagon Reply with quote

bonecollector wrote:
redbug64 wrote:
does anyone have the lengths of the sides etc for the polygon style rotisserie? I would like to build one similar for my bus.

A friend of mine walks in the shop the other day as I'm laying out the 12 sides for my new rotisserie and he asks me what I have there. I tell him it's a polygon rotisserie. The guy is a walking encyclopedia and he starts to count how many sides it has. He then proceeds to tell me it is in fact a dodecagon (12 sided polygon) rotisserie. I did not know what a dodecagon was but I do now. Looking forward to having another dodecagon rotisserie as I sold my last one to some guys from the BPA.

...Is your friends name Sheldon Cooper?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: dodecagon Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
bonecollector wrote:
redbug64 wrote:

...Is your friends name Sheldon Cooper?

Bill

i bet sheldon would also be a walking talking smartass, considering that a dodecagon is a polygon, i think a odd number sided polygon would be much more interesting and dynamic looking

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make your rings 7'-6" that will work just fine. Put the bus as high as you can but leave enough room to sand and paint the roof. With a smaller diameter the bus will be more bottom heavy but not unmanageable. Use C clamps to hold the bus in any position. A smaller diameter will require that the front ring will need to be moved further forward to be able to open the front doors. I would say 9" to 12" forward of the front beam bolt pattern. You can build a roller base that allows the rings to hang down enough to almost touch the floor. The casters can be welded on offset legs outside the cart.

The problem with a cart is making and keeping the rings perfectly parallel. If they are not the rings will bind as you try to roll the bus. Try it without a cart first. You can always weld casters on later if you need them. I can easily slide my bus around my garage floor with just the flat metal bases. My metal bases can squirm around on the floor as I roll the bus. Sometimes my rings do get in a bind so I just give the bus a little shake to free it up.

The amazing thing is how easy this is to do and how well it works. Have fun!
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine I just got it to the point that it'll roll. Very excited to work on the bottom without crap falling in my face.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOGR wrote:
Very excited to work on the bottom without crap falling in my face.

Living the dream, brother... Living the dream
MyAutoProject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by MyAutoProject on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOGR wrote:
Here is mine I just got it to the point that it'll roll. Very excited to work on the bottom without crap falling in my face.

Link

I have to say that is the nicest option I have seen yet. great for limited space, doors can still open. Very nicely thought out.

I think I would like to see the roller section be tied together and possibly on wheels too, If I were to build one for myself that is.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's mine

www.themetalsurgeon.com

1953 PreA 356 Porsche concours quality for sale.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

www.themetalsurgeon.com .....know whats under your paint.....

....its not where you're from,its where you're at ....
Quote. Ian Brown(Stone Roses)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MyAutoProject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Thanks to this thread, I'm going to be building one of the hoop versions. On e thing I've not seen much discussion on is the wall thickness of the tubing being used in the various versions.

The OP said, [quote="MICHANICAL™"]...Cut your 0.23622047 decimal inch wall thickness 2" x 2" tubing[\quote] and one other person used "2mm".

2mm would make me a bit nervous but I'm wondering if .23...is more than is necessary.

My options are:
.118 (closest to the OP's choice)

I'm asking because the price difference is significant and I'd rather not spend more money than safety/strength requires.

Anyone know their tubing's wall thickness? Thoughts?

Last edited by MyAutoProject on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hoop Glide King made is 1/8th inch. I'm not sure what that equates to metric wise.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
The hoop Glide King made is 1/8th inch. I'm not sure what that equates to metric wise.

1/8" = .125"

I'm not sure why you are bringing up the metric system though....but an 1/8" is 3.175mm incase you need it in mm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: