Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rotisserie
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Nice design Sgellis! And cool to share all the detailed building plans Applause
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Could you see if Everett would host the PDF here? It's rare that someone takes the time to write it out like that.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Could you see if Everett would host the PDF here? It's rare that someone takes the time to write it out like that.

I can add it to the Archives - email it to me!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Really nice. This design is perfect. The low profile dollies which can be moved to any of the flat angles are very cool.

When you rotate onto or off of the dollies, is there a way to stabilize or hold them in place?
That could be a delicate maneuver, especially if you are by yourself doing the rotating.

Also, did you add clamps to attach to the roof gutters? I would think that they would help stabilize things.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Really nice. This design is perfect. The low profile dollies which can be moved to any of the flat angles are very cool.

When you rotate onto or off of the dollies, is there a way to stabilize or hold them in place?
That could be a delicate maneuver, especially if you are by yourself doing the rotating.

Also, did you add clamps to attach to the roof gutters? I would think that they would help stabilize things.

Thanks!

I roll the bus up a little so the rollers will slide under part way. Let the bus back onto the roller and use my foot to push on the roller and pull on the frame to centre it. Easy once you get the hang of it. I always rotate from the rear frame. A stripped bus is not very heavy.

I didn't add anything to the drip rail. Front has lots of clearance, rear about 2". There is some bounce in the frame but not enough to hit the drip rail. Thought about adding some bracing to the inside of the loop to stop the flex but I don't notice it at all while working.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

I can add it to the Archives - email it to me!

It's up:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bus_rotisserie/VWBus_Rotisserie.pdf

I will add it to the first post in this thread as well
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

This is 100% pure excellence. Well done!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Could someone give me a bit of advice? We're about to take the plunge and remove the running gear.

1.) If we used 2.5 in. OD 0.105 thickness ROUND pipe for the rotisserie, are we loosing significant strength vs the same thickness SQUARE? (Same Half tipper version as the post directly above). Like should we be concerned with the round? My friend has a pile laying around he's willing to donate for free.

2.) if we're doing strictly the lower frame/flooring (underside only) would it be ok to use mild/low pressure sand? I know walnut is better, but it's bonkers more expensive.

Thanks in advance!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Could someone give me a bit of advice? We're about to take the plunge and remove the running gear.

If we used 2.5 in. OD 0.105 thickness ROUND pipe for the rotisserie, are we loosing like significant strength vs the SQUARE? (Same Half tipper version as the post directly above). Like should we be concerned with the round? My friend has a pile laying around he's willing to donate for free.

Thanks in advance!

Should be fine. Just make sure the corrner are welded well. May be a bit bouncy (the one above is) but you can add a few braces to the inside if you like.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Agree. Your tubing will be fine. A little flexing is no problem. Once the running gear is off it will be very light. Walnut shells will not clean out rust on a home style blaster. Never use sand. Very toxic. I have used Diamond brand blast media. It is silica free. The large grit will clog a home blaster so get medium. Low pressure just takes longer and does not warp the panels.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks! Appreciate it!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

That is an excellent pdf of the tipper.

My only suggestion would be to make the very bottom section equal length to the uprights that attach to the frame. I know it makes it a bit harder to start the tip, but it makes it more stable when rolling.
Also, make the tipper pieces switchable from side to side, to give easier access for work on the passenger side rocker areas.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:

My only suggestion would be to make the very bottom section equal length to the uprights that attach to the frame. I know it makes it a bit harder to start the tip, but it makes it more stable when rolling.
Also, make the tipper pieces switchable from side to side, to give easier access for work on the passenger side rocker areas.
Gordo.

The frames can be installed from either side. Notice the rear adaptor plates are bolted on so they stay on the bus when switching frame to other sides.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Gordo.

The frames can be installed from either side. Notice the rear adaptor plates are bolted on so they stay on the bus when switching frame to other sides.

So.....what's holding the bus while you switch the frame to the other side?

The plans I used from A Guy on Vancouver Island , the bus sits on a bedframe style section, while the tipper sides bolt to it, either side and the bus stays on the frame with wheels.
However, i like the side sections of your design as it allows the bus to go somewhat bottoms up. A support to the rain gutter would help support the bus while in that position.

gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Gordo.

So.....what's holding the bus while you switch the frame to the other side?

The plans I used from A Guy on Vancouver Island , the bus sits on a bedframe style section, while the tipper sides bolt to it, either side and the bus stays on the frame with wheels.
However, i like the side sections of your design as it allows the bus to go somewhat bottoms up. A support to the rain gutter would help support the bus while in that position.

gordo.

I see what you mean. Yes I have to support the bus while switching sides. I had thought of making the uprights so they could be bolted to eather side of a lower u shaped frame. Seemed easier to just to jack up the bus to switch sides once or twice during the restoration than to build a more complex system.
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
.... Once the running gear is off it will be very light. ....
Kurt

Do you know how much just the body itself weighs?

Chris
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

I did not weigh it but I could lift each end by myself. It could not be much more than 600 pounds total.
Kurt
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
I did not weigh it but I could lift each end by myself. It could not be much more than 600 pounds total.
Kurt

Was that before or after you replaced the missing metal (rust). Laughing
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

Getting my homemade rotisserie ready for the next bus project today. I used to just drag the rotisserie around on the floor but I am getting older and I would like to roll it outside. This is a way to roll the rotisserie around the garage without a full cart in the way. Wheels for each ring independent from each other. Four of the eight wheels have a brake. They were $20 at Horrible Fright and rated at 450 lb. 8 inch wheel are large enough to roll over all those severed bits of rusty bus parts. I put the casters outboard keeping the rings close to the floor so it is still low enough to roll it outside the garage door. Now I can sandblast outside and roll it back in at night. I will keep a much cleaner garage this way.

Kurt
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rotisserie Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Getting my homemade rotisserie ready for the next bus project today....

I like the sounds of that. I don't think I have seen your new build thread yet. tap.tap.tap... Smile

Good time to trim the access off the rear adaptor plates. I found that area bad enough to work around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: