Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

is it legal?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dspin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: is it legal? Reply with quote

Is it legal to drive around on public roads with out the doors on my Thing?
nerf965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a lot with my doors off, the AZ police told me just make sure to wear my seat belt. you see jeep with there doors off all the time
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends on where you are, but I'd guess (guess) that it's legal. I had several jeeps which I'd drive around without doors & never found anything on the books that would make it illegal. If you think about it, UPS & FedEx trucks usually drive around with open sliding doors, as do many postal delivery trucks, and garbage trucks. Motorcycles - and side cars - also are completely open. Now, as for safety - definitely wear your seatbelt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: is it legal? Reply with quote

dspin wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not legal in California. At a minimum you must have Safari doors.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If removable doors are not legal, then Jeep would have stopped designing their Wrangler with them...

Also, if the vehicle met Federal safety standards back in the 70's, that can't penalize you now if it doesn't. If that's the case, we would all have to install air bags, 3-point seat belts, and side-impact bars.

The best I could do would be to provide my passengers with barf-bags!
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you not required to have rearview mirrors? So if driven without the doors, there would be no mirrors either since they're attached to the doors. Would it not be illegal then for that reason? Question
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dborell wrote:
Are you not required to have rearview mirrors? So if driven without the doors, there would be no mirrors either since they're attached to the doors. Would it not be illegal then for that reason? Question

'74's have the mirrors mounted to the body on the door hinge, and the mirrors stay with the car when the doors are off. This feature is easily retrofitted to '73's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: is it legal? Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
dspin wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not legal in California. At a minimum you must have Safari doors.

I think it might be legal here in CA, I never had a problem with my CJ7 and I had no doors at all for years.

It could be something they just choose to ignore, there is a nut in my neighborhood that drives a old jeep around with the windshield down. I am pretty sure that is not legal, but he does it all the time. Of course he has a fake machine gun in the back and posters about subversive goverment plots. So he is likely mentally ill and they just ignore him.

A simple call to the sheriff would be obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: is it legal? Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
. . . Of course he has a fake machine gun in the back and posters about subversive goverment plots. So he is likely mentally ill and they just ignore him.

Hmmm. The Thing has provision for gun mounts. Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO! Twisted Evil
stonebobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in California and I've driven my Thing around with the doors off and windshield down and never been hassled. I figure if it's OK for the harley dudes, it ought to be OK for me too. Or perhaps one look at me, and the cops figure I'm mentally ill. :snipersmile:
dspin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is not legal to drive without a windshield on your car.
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The California vehicle code says that a vehicle shall be equpped with a windshield, it doesn't say that it shall be used:

26700. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a passenger vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and every bus, motortruck or truck tractor, and every firetruck, fire engine or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with an adequate windshield
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm a lawyer licensed in the state of Florida, but this isn't legal advice. Seriously, drive with your windshield up if you are on public roads. Shame on you

For entertainment purposes only, I submit the following:

Florida defines motorcycles and ATVs such that the Thing doesn't qualify for their exemptions re: windshields. Having said that, Fla. Stat. 316.2952 states:

Quote:
(6) A former military vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the department determines that the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military design and markings. However, whenever the vehicle is operating on the public roads and highways, the operator and passengers must wear eye-protective devices approved by the department. For purposes of this subsection, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

A little paint, a decal or two ... I'm just saying ... Wink

Last edited by bciesq on Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this is the really scary part of the Florida statutes:

Quote:
(4) Every windshield wiper upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.

LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bciesq,

Thanks for your input,

Personally, I believe as you, keep the windshield up when driving on a public highway.

I retired after from Law Enforcement with 34 years of active service. Laws are open to interpretation and if someone in Calif. wanted to challenge the windshield terminology they probably stand a decent chance due to the wording of the law but, safety always comes to play when it involves automotive equipment.

I don't recommend that anyone drive with the windshield in the down position.
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like LEJ is saying it's really just going to be up to interpretation. A cop may pull you over for it, but as with pretty much any vehicle you drive, if they want to pull you over and hassle you, they will find a reason. It all depends on the particular LEO's attitude and disposition on that particular day. As others said though, from a safety standpoint, you're probably best to leave it up.
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEJ wrote:
The California vehicle code says that a vehicle shall be equpped with a windshield, it doesn't say that it shall be used:

26700. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a passenger vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and every bus, motortruck or truck tractor, and every firetruck, fire engine or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with an adequate windshield

For comparison purposes, Fla. Stat. 316.2952 states:

Quote:
(1) A windshield in a fixed and upright position, which windshield is equipped with safety glazing as required by federal safety-glazing material standards, is required on every motor vehicle which is operated on the public highways, roads, and streets, except on a motorcycle or implement of husbandry.

My point is that the laws differ from state to state <DUH!>. While California's statute may be parsed so as to allow operation of a Thing with the windshield down, Florida specifically requires that it should be "in a fixed and upright position."

Remember kids, ignorance of the law is no defense.

End of lecture. Wink

Ben
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

Off the subject but did Florida ever pass a Motorcycle Helmet Law???
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEJ wrote:
Ben,

Off the subject but did Florida ever pass a Motorcycle Helmet Law???

We had one and then repealed it in 1999. We know that motorcycle fatalities have been climbing (see graphic below showing fatalities per year), but it's hard to state whether it's because of the repeal of the law or because we just have more motorcycle riders.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, safety may be only a secondary reason for wearing a helmet during love bug season:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/9326447/detail.html
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that graft needs to be analyzed by percentage of registered motorcycles vs deaths per year but, that's the Florida legislatures duties, not mine.

I sure wouldn't want a bunch of mating Love Bugs in my mouth LOL Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: