Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spinning Distributor - 63 6V Vac Dist
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Herndon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Spinning Distributor - 63 6V Vac Dist Reply with quote

Recent owner of a stock '63 6 volt with a 198000 miles, engine rebuilt 4 years ago by POs. I haven't been able to keep the car running longer then 5 mins (previous posts) And I found that the fuel pump push rod housing was broken and binding. I replaced it but I couldn't get all the housing pieces out of the block and a piece "fell in". I assumed it fell to the oil sump and I'd fish it out later. I tried to start the car today and it wont start, smells like gas so I pulled the distrubutor and found that I can turn the roter. I pulled the distributor and there's no play between the base and roter. Is there a chance the fuel pump rod housing piece has messed up the drive gear in the block? I looked down the hole and can't see anything unusual. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that piece got into the timing gears.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your post is a little confusing, you smelled fuel so you pulled the distibutor? If you pull the distributor you SHOULD be able to turn the rotor... etc .... like most mechanical problems go after them one at a time, fuel issues are seperate from distributor issues. Don't get your self confused by over thinking stuff. Maybe it's just me Confused
Steve Herndon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if that was confusing. I pulled the cap to be sure I was roughly timed... and then found the swiving roter and shaft, and then pulled the dist. ...

update: look at it again this afternoon and I see that I have fuel pressure (I have a gauge in place of the filter to for another problem) and both cam for the fuel push rod comes off the distributor drive shaft. If the the pump is working, the shaft is tuning. I carefully put the distributor back in and all is fine... Hitchiker Guide to the Galaxy "don't panic".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: