Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace ball joints
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benCarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryset wrote:
I found something that works! Very Happy Very Happy

A couple of sockets, stuck this upper in the vise, applied some pressure, then some heat, rapped it with a hammer - POP! Came right out.

Haha....ouch. You got the arms off already, just take em to a shop and for a few buck they will pop em out and the new back in. Done. No more broken vices. Just a suggestion. Shocked
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4050506#4050506
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I did the job with some large sockets, a couple of scraps of pipe and a hydraulic log splitter to apply the force. I don't remember all the details of how I managed it, but once I figured out the process it only took about an hour to do the 4.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Vocho78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people, I´m about to replace the balljoints, tie rods and tie rod ends from my Sedan. I saw in the Haynes manual that you can use a small 2 jaw puller to remove tie rod ends.

Can I use it to pull the balljoints from the knuckles too?

Is there any other tools that I need for the removal of the other stuff?

I´ll take the arms to a shop just to get the balljoints pressed too.

Thanks a lot.
volksbug70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for $90: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-shop-press-4711.html

If I buy the above press, what "cups" do I need and where can I get them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that press. I bent the rod on one like that into a s shape trying to install a balljoint, didnt get it done. Recently found a old school press made of cast iron with a 2'' shaft to push with, got lucky and got it cheap at a garage sale. The whole thing is taller than me, Im 5'5''. Havent got to use it just yet, but will be soon to build a beam for a club member.
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heating crushes the rust
cb77305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Replace ball joints Reply with quote

Loved the shot of the broken vise - a friend of mine did the same to my first "Tool Time" vise, so bought my next at HF. It's bigger, so it's still OK. I guess before I try using it on my ball joints I'll make sure HF has an even bigger one to replace it. Great shot of the setup with the two sockets. Thanks for posting that.
Handy access port through the package tray
Vac-advance distributor, oil temp gauge, voltmeter,
mechanical O/P gauge with 1/4" line.
Completed a 1600 S/P on a rollaway for tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdivizzle0112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just soaked mine in pb blaster then put them on a shop press and they popped right out...
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74airbug wrote:
I took the control arms out of the beam and took them to a local front end shop. It took the mechanic about 15 minutes to press out the old ones and press in the new ones - $20 well spent... Cool

X2 Applause
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cb77305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdivizzle0112 wrote:
i just soaked mine in pb blaster then put them on a shop press and they popped right out...
Mine have soaking in PBBlaster for about a month now, so come presstime it should go much easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:
Good luck with that press. I bent the rod on one like that into a s shape trying to install a balljoint, didnt get it done. Recently found a old school press made of cast iron with a 2'' shaft to push with, got lucky and got it cheap at a garage sale. The whole thing is taller than me, Im 5'5''. Havent got to use it just yet, but will be soon to build a beam for a club member.

Old post, but I can say that my old school press pushed the balljoints in no problemo. Just used a apropriately sized socket on top and bottom.

To get balljoints out, I took a air chisel with the round tip poked holes in the center piece that is crimped in to hold the balljoint together. Then used the flat bit to cut between the holes till it fell out. Then took my die grinder and ground around the opening till it was open enough to drop out the plastic insert and the ball. Used the die grinder again to grind a slot in the housing of the ball joint till it cut all the way through (do not grind into the arm itself or youll weaken it) then the rest easily tapped out with a hammer and a medium punch. Ive done the weld on the inside as well, it works good also.
cb77305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vintagevwnut"]
vintagevwnut wrote:
To get balljoints out, I took a air chisel with the round tip poked holes in the center piece that is crimped in to hold the balljoint together. Then used the flat bit to cut between the holes till it fell out. Then took my die grinder and ground around the opening till it was open enough to drop out the plastic insert and the ball. Used the die grinder again to grind a slot in the housing of the ball joint till it cut all the way through (do not grind into the arm itself or youll weaken it) then the rest easily tapped out with a hammer and a medium punch. Ive done the weld on the inside as well, it works good also.
I took my arms - after several weeks of PB Blaster application - to a local machine shop here in the Seattle area - Jerry's Northwest Connecting Rods (NWCR) - and he worked the magic. Wish I could've observed but had to go to work. He even cleaned and painted them - look really good. He's done all my engine machine work for 30 years - almost since his opening day. It's gonna be bad whenever he decides to retire.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed ball joints on my wife's Thing. I went to Advance Auto and borrowed this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648617-Master-U-Joint-Service/dp/B0028QGT86

Has all the cups you'll need.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cb77305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
Just installed ball joints on my wife's Thing. I went to Advance Auto and borrowed this:http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648617-Master-U-Joint-Service/dp/B0028QGT86 - Has all the cups you'll need.
Serves me right for not checking further than O'Reilly's here in the Pacific Northwest. One of the other chains - AutoZone, NAPA, CarQuest, etc. must have this tool. I ended up taking my spare arms to a machine shop here specializing in air-cooled VWs.

Meanwhile, I'm working on building some electronics that will use the points to trigger a solid-state switch - cutting the current through the points from 3 or 4 amps to 30 or 40 milliamps.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I powder coated them. Look really good, making them beam look really bad.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear power coat the rim -- might as well get that used feeling
Noasx250
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy Way Reply with quote

vicsvw wrote:
There is an easier way to remove them. Any one with an Electric welder has the best tool made to remove ball joints. We have removed several hundred this way and always works great. Pulled a many bearing races the same way. See -> Ball Joint Removing <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/qa_balljointrem.htm

Thanks for the link this method worked great.
cb77305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy Way Reply with quote

Noasx250 wrote:
vicsvw wrote:
There is an easier way to remove them. Any one with an Electric welder has the best tool made to remove ball joints. We have removed several hundred this way and always works great. Pulled a many bearing races the same way. See -> Ball Joint Removing <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/qa_balljointrem.htm

Thanks for the link this method worked great.
Thanks also for including that website - fascinating place! I just spent the last 1/2-hour going back and forth through one "need help" after another. Spelling is not their strong suit but they really know what they're talking about.
yancyholden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to remove a ball joint that was pressed in misaligned and then put it back in correctly?
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
Just installed ball joints on my wife's Thing. I went to Advance Auto and borrowed this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648617-Master-U-Joint-Service/dp/B0028QGT86

Has all the cups you'll need.

I used this as well on my 66 beetle, it will take some time to find the right combination but it is all there. You may have to grind some ridges off of the control arm to square the cup up but its minor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: