Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

line bore tool
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: line bore tool Reply with quote

Does anyone have the instructions for Cold Form Products Line Bore Tool Bar. Need info. on setting cutters, and dial indicators bad.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have pix, sir?

What kind of linebore tool you have?

Setting is setting. You have a bearing...measure the OD. The boring bar has an axis line...measure from the axis line to the actual "stick-out" of the toolbit ...and multiply by 2 = diameter.

So...OD of bearing minus "bearing crush" = mains diameter.

The best way to check is get a dialbore gauge and see. The setting tool for the bits should be able to read 5/10,000 inch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
you have pix, sir?

What kind of linebore tool you have?
Setting is setting. You have a bearing...measure the OD. The boring bar has an axis line...measure from the axis line to the actual "stick-out" of the toolbit ...and multiply by 2 = diameter.

So...OD of bearing minus "bearing crush" = mains diameter.

The best way to check is get a dialbore gauge and see. The setting tool for the bits should be able to read 5/10,000 inch.

Quote:
Does anyone have the instructions for Cold Form Products Line Bore Tool Bar

Is this one of those that has a gauge built into it that you "dial up" the cut you think you need? Those are really JUNK boring bar IMHO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junk ..these are NOT. These have been the best I have seen work flawlessly yet. These suckers are very accurate. It can do at least 5/10,000 inch or less.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's off by 0.0001". I can see it. Razz
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Junk ..these are NOT. These have been the best I have seen work flawlessly yet. These suckers are very accurate. It can do at least 5/10,000 inch or less.

Is one you post the same one the original poster is asking about?

Looks like your posting about your "true line" Nick... I never said those are junk. Just that if the one he is talking about is the kind I think it is, then it is a POS IMO. Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the TruLine and Porta tool. Is there a third kind? Razz

Now..this I HAVE to see. I am curious what this beast looks like.

How about some pics of this thing? Let us see it so some of us here can input on how to use it.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
There is the TruLine and Porta tool. Is there a third kind? Razz

Now..this I HAVE to see. I am curious what this beast looks like.

How about some pics of this thing? Let us see it so some of us here can input on how to use it.

Yes there is at least 2 other types I have seen over the years...

Cold Form Products Line Bore Tool Bar

Can't you read? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I would like the original poster to put up a pic too... for confirmation of my suspicions. Wink
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also KENT Tools which made a bar as well...

I had a German unit that was made by Stahlwille in the late 80s, but like a dumbass I traded it for a 911 engine...
The Tru Line has always been best for me..
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
There is also KENT Tools which made a bar as well...

I had a German unit that was made by Stahlwille in the late 80s, but like a dumbass I traded it for a 911 engine...
The Tru Line has always been best for me..

Kent- Moore tools made the orignal "portaliner" and now pretty much the exact same thing is offered by Rocky Jennings...

This info is from another thread on these various tools from a few months ago....

http://www.rockyjennings.com/bore.html
jeff01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody has any more pics of tools like this?

There is no way doing this job here in estonia and I decided to let make a tool for that.

What would be the easiest way to do that. (not for high performance engines)
Mr Cayko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

I know this is and old post but does anyone know where i can get a new cutter for the line bore
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

/what lineborer do you do have? I may have spares for the Truline. The porta tool kind is easy to find them.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

Don't forget the guy who's made his own. There's a 20 page thread on it somewhere here. I think he had to pull the plug on the project due to a hurricane.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

That guy lives just about 30 minutes south of me. He was dead set on building an align bore tool using aluminum for the main bar. I'm no machinist but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna work that well. His whole reason for building his own bar was because driving 30 minutes up to Jacksonville for machine work was to much hassle. Laughing

Anyway, he never finished it as far as I recall.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

The reason to have your own lineborer is if you intend to do a lot a motors.

I just like having my own. 'But before I had mine I used to drive 2 hours to get my cases linebored. The old man died and all his tools in the shop got sold off. So I had to find my own.

I don't have anymore spares. Sold off all of them.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
That guy lives just about 30 minutes south of me. He was dead set on building an align bore tool using aluminum for the main bar. I'm no machinist but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna work that well. His whole reason for building his own bar was because driving 30 minutes up to Jacksonville for machine work was to much hassle. Laughing

Anyway, he never finished it as far as I recall.

Whatever happened with his jetboat?
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

No one around here can do a line bore. So I’m considering to buy a tool my self. Any pointers? What not to buy?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

Your in Denmark, right? Look for a guy on here name Alstrup. He is also in Denmark.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: line bore tool Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
Your in Denmark, right? Look for a guy on here name Alstrup. He is also in Denmark.

Yes I heard his name mentioned before. Torben I think is his first name.
But I would rather buy a tool and do it myself, I rebuild 4-8 engines a year so I might as well throw some money after a tool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: