Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam Followers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Cam Followers Reply with quote

Good morning. I have a low mile 1975 engine thats been torn down for a refresh because of sitting around forever.. The cam is great but lifters are questionable...nice but pretty much flat. What brand would you recommend for a stock rebuild and original cam? I was thinking to go reground but search seems to reveal problems with those lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Followers Reply with quote

Measure all the lobes before reusing. Reground German lifters are fine. Send your lifters out. I think SLR costs $65 in labor. I sent three sets to Steve recently.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Followers Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Measure all the lobes before reusing. Reground German lifters are fine. Send your lifters out. I think SLR costs $65 in labor. I sent three sets to Steve recently.
Thanks. I've been searching, but can't find any guide on cam visual inspection or how to measure. Any advice? Leaning towards just getting a new cam, but I have a couple that look low miles to me. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Followers Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
Thanks. I've been searching, but can't find any guide on cam visual inspection or how to measure. Any advice? Leaning towards just getting a new cam, but I have a couple that look low miles to me. Thanks

You need a digital dial caliper and measure each base circle and measure the total lift of the lobe. Subtract the two numbers to see how close they all are.

As for lifters, regrounds are great....IF they are done correctly and washed correctly afterwards. If you don't have a place to buy them from that you trust 100%, then you should buy new, saving $8 isn't worth it if your cam goes flat and you have to do it all twice.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Followers Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
unitedracing wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

You need a digital dial caliper and measure each base circle and measure the total lift of the lobe. Subtract the two numbers to see how close they all are.

As for lifters, regrounds are great....IF they are done correctly and washed correctly afterwards. If you don't have a place to buy them from that you trust 100%, then you should buy new, saving $8 isn't worth it if your cam goes flat and you have to do it all twice.
Thanks Roy! Looks like I'll be hitting you up for some lifters once I check my cam. Probably reground but if i decided to go new what lifters do you recommend for a stock cam? And if its bad I know you have reground cams also. Are you aware of any different in the 75 to 79 Beetle FI cams. The few I have all have an F after the part number however when looking at new, they are all the same 1972 on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: