Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many volts?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kccabledude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: How many volts? Reply with quote

How many volts should my bosch alt be putting out? It's a AL 82N, if that tells you anything. Also how do you check? I put my volt/ohm meter on the 2 posts on the top of it and it only read 11.89 volts DC. Thanks for any info.
cbr900racer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldnt remember the exact voltage of mine, so i ran out to garage and checked....13.66 at 1krpm. is your idiot light connected and working? (just for the heck of it i checked the spade connector that goes to said idiot light, it read 14.54..)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually alternators should put out around 14VDC. That 11.89 is not good at all, as that low of voltage is well below the nominal rest voltage of the battery, which is 12.5-12.6V usually. That your battery is below 12V means it is going dead and no charging at all is going on. Sounds like they alternator could be bad, or you might be lucky and your warning light might be out. The alternator will not begin to charge unless it gets the warning light current to "kick" the regulator into charge mode.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kccabledude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem the wire going back to the dash light was cut. Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: