Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body work, new body parts, whats involved?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Body work, new body parts, whats involved? Reply with quote

I wanted to ask you guys, about body work.

What would installing some of these body parts involve?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1. The rear body panel
2. Rear trunk space area.
3. Under the hood trunk peice
4. Inside wheel fender, under hood
5. Front drivers side and passengers side body panel

I dont have the know how, or the tools to try it myself, but what would installing some of these parts involve?

the inside wheel fender i imagine just bolts on, but a lot of these parts need welding don't they?

Should I stick with a VW shop? or any local welder can do this kind of job?

Thanks guys

chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not "just welding" but rather someone who's experienced in cutting the old sheet metal off, and welding in the new parts. Very labor intensive, and that's what costs the most. Buying good quality parts is one important part, but using a good body man/welder is the other half.

Ask around in your area. Find some folks from the local car shows that have had this work done for recomendations. They are your best bet, as you will be able to see the work a potential body shop does before you select them to do your work.

It is the most expensive part of a restoration; paint is a close second. You get what you pay for in these areas.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be money ahead at this point to sell your thing and buy a different thing.
You are talking pretty much the disassembly of the whole Thing. I see front and rear pieces and not just exterior pieces at that. The only money to be saved in this endeavor is your free labor, if you can not do this yourself you lose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
You would be money ahead at this point to sell your thing and buy a different thing.

I am also in search of a really good body shop. Every place I have taken my Thing to has given me the exact same response. However, some times your sentimental attachment out weights your common sense. My car has been really good to me for almost 20 years; I figure it has earned a complete 100% rebuild. Plus I have saved immense amounts of money not having a new car loan payment. So I spend an ungodly amount of money to rebuild my Thing, at least I will get another 20 years plus out of it. I cannot think of a new car that will last that long.

Before I forget, anyone have a recommendation for a really good fab/body shop in SoCal.? So far I have only found one willing to even take on my project. Everyone else is to busy or will not touch it with a 20 foot pole.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of a thing for sale in the classifieds. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=326048
German Motor Works is not far in Garden Grove. I guess they do restorations.

I do know what you mean about the money being out weighed by emotion. I have had some cars that I was really attached to.

FreakCitySF - Did your Thing get in a front and rear accident? Just wondering if you are repairing accident damage or rust? I saw a body off the pan on ebay that was not too much. Also some front and rear clips here on the classifeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should contact Mattt. He lives in So Cal in the Irvine area. His
Thing has gone through resto and more. He has great contacts in your area. You need to decide your budget prior to beginning the body portion. I am a function guy. So I alway make all mechanical and electrical systems work perfectly prior to working on the body. But it is much easier to work the body while the engine and trans are out of the car and the front end and gas tank are removed. A body off resto is considerably more costly than a resto leaving the bodey in place. I have almost no rot issues on either of my Things but in the resto process I have removed every part and replace bolts and restored, rebuilt or replaced all mechanical and electrical parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
However, some times your sentimental attachment out weights your common sense.

I think if it didn't, there'd be a lot fewer VWs on the road! Laughing

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post some pics of my car tomorrow.

It doesnt look 2 bad but thats where the bondo is.

Nothing MAJOR but its deffinitely noticable. Not much rust actually.

I had the 12 v outlet on the apron, took that out, want to get it new again

and the 2 holes for the radio antenna, drivers side, + dings up at the apron area and 1 ding in the back

I'm like the 5th or 6th owner but I havent made any dings, like you guys I watch out for my special little VW lol
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that. GMW are the only people willing to touch my car, now I just have to wait for the body shop guy to call me back and I can get the ball rolling. However I would have liked to get at least one more quote before I hand it off but I cannot find anyone willing to go near it.

K-man, Matts body guy has disappeared off the face of the planet. Too bad, that guy did a really nice job on Matts car.

Last I heard the military Thing asking price was 27k.

And FreakCitySF, try these guys for some body work. www.metalbygaryg.com I would have liked them to take a look at my car but it is too far away for me, but not to far for you. Good luck with that!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
And FreakCitySF, try these guys for some body work. www.metalbygaryg.com I would have liked them to take a look at my car but it is too far away for me, but not to far for you. Good luck with that!

Gary has a small shop in Modesto, he does know things pretty well. I seen some old body parts he was repairing and he does a pretty good job. He hand makes exhaust systems, bumpers,,,. A lot of custom stuff. He sells on ebay by that name metalbygary.

I had forgot about him, I bought a gas heater and a hard top from him.
He had some odd hours when I dropped by, like 11am opening
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. Gary is a friend of mine. He does very fine fabrication. He is currently building me a set of custom 3x3 rear arms. He definately knows Thing body work.. Wait in line. As a result of his fine work, he is always busy. Very nice guy...
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Body work, new body parts, whats involved? Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
I wanted to ask you guys, about body work.

What would installing some of these body parts involve?

1. The rear body panel
2. Rear trunk space area.
3. Under the hood trunk peice
4. Inside wheel fender, under hood
5. Front drivers side and passengers side body panel

I dont have the know how, or the tools to try it myself, but what would installing some of these parts involve?

the inside wheel fender i imagine just bolts on, but a lot of these parts need welding don't they?

Should I stick with a VW shop? or any local welder can do this kind of job?

Thanks guys

chris

What shop is this image from?
I need a door badly, and would love to see if they have one or can get one.
The door set for sale here on the samba is a bit too pricey for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That image is from The Thing Shop.

I think they still have NOS doors.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics ,
The rear body peice, has a dent , below the right side light housing and below the horizontal line of the body there, and below that dent is bondo coverage. The inside engine compartment shot, next to the ground tabs is where you can see the bondo boogers

I had the original roll bar so it has all the holes where it bolted,also in the middle of the rear trunk, it has pulled dents, that face the inside of the car.
the engine compartment, above the fan shrouding highlights the dents a little more.

Front apron has got the dents and dings, hole for 12 v plug, i imagine this going to be the toughest part to fix.

Drivers side, emergency kit area, or area front of door, left of steering wheel, got some holes and the 2 bigger holes for the radio which i took out. antatanie base all that remained.

got the smaller holes on the right side as well.

I was totally thinking of Gary. I had seen his auctions on ebay and checked out his webpage. Looks like my best bet right now.

I'm thinking I should get the body peices first then hire him to do the job.

Let me know what you think, i can post more pics of other areas, looks like front fenders have some bondo.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of work to make it "right". Seroius welding and in most cases, panel replacement.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Thing looks like an absolute gem compared to mine. Be happy, it could be ALOT WORSE! I would show you the damage to my Thing but it’s rather embarrassing…

Anyway, Gary has a lot of body parts already. So before you go and get a bunch of NOS panels give him a call and have him take a look at it. I honesty think it doesn’t looks to bad and I don’t see any major cancer spots blooming on the outside. It shouldn’t be to bad a repair.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
. . . I honesty think it doesn’t looks to bad and I don’t see any major cancer spots blooming on the outside. It shouldn’t be to bad a repair.

That's what I thought when I bought mine. Confused
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
Your Thing looks like an absolute gem compared to mine. Be happy, it could be ALOT WORSE! I would show you the damage to my Thing but it’s rather embarrassing…

Anyway, Gary has a lot of body parts already. So before you go and get a bunch of NOS panels give him a call and have him take a look at it. I honesty think it doesn’t looks to bad and I don’t see any major cancer spots blooming on the outside. It shouldn’t be to bad a repair.

I have seen Gary's work and he could probably repair most of the damage himself. If he needed a different part he probably has it already or can buy it cheaper.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally paid 4500.00 for it. Came with a robbins soft top, foggy back window, fiber hardtop, fact roll bar, 2 sets of plastic windows all foggy, 1 set jet black lol,

92k miles, it was the best shape of the 2-3 i saw for around that price

one of the first projects i did was cleaned off the bumper, i was using a wire grinder and started to go in a few inches, lots of bondo lol

first car, and i now i know what to look for in buying future cars

but im sticking with this car no matter what

Gary sounds like a cool guy. I will deffinitely have him check it out eventually.

For now im just going to do little things, front fenders came off today.
some bondo, but not bad looking.

Let me ask you guys another question.

Is it easier to just have someone else sandblast/media blast parts? or geet a wire grinder and do it myself? Also was that rubber undercoating on stock? I think i'm removing it either way, but just kinda curious.

Thanks though for the heads up, you guys are pros so i read every word carefully :)

chris
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped all the paint myself on a previous "hobby" car, a 1977 Triumph Spitfire. I can tell you from experience that it is quite a chore! I used both aircraft stripper and wire wheel brushes to get all the old paint off. Old paint is very stubborn! You also have to be prepared to spray primer immediately after stripping and cleaning the metal. Otherwise it will rust over, virtually over night. And if you're located in the Bay Area, the salt water in the air won't help any.

It was a good experience preparing the car for a repaint, but if I have to do it again, I'd let the professionals do it. Unless you have the right equipment that is... You might consider a portable sand blaster if you really want to have some fun!

Good Luck,

Warren
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: