Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hazet Assistent colour info......
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Hazet Assistent colour info...... Reply with quote

Have just bought an old beat-up Hazet Assistent that needs a resto, apparently the shade is 'Hazet blau', anybody know where I can find a paint code/formulation for this paint?

Thanks.

Wink
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different color shades through the years. I have found NOS tool boxes in the unopened original cardboard boxes that had different shades of blue on the middle trays versus bottom tub. Hazet also switched from paint to powder-coating which is also a different shade. Your best bet would be cleaning up an area of the cart's original paint and getting the paint shop to match it. Keep in mind that as a tool manufacturer Hazet probably didn't care as much about keeping the color really consistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
There are many different color shades through the years. I have found NOS tool boxes in the unopened original cardboard boxes that had different shades of blue on the middle trays versus bottom tub. Hazet also switched from paint to powder-coating which is also a different shade. Your best bet would be cleaning up an area of the cart's original paint and getting the paint shop to match it. Keep in mind that as a tool manufacturer Hazet probably didn't care as much about keeping the color really consistent.

Thats great info, think I will do as you say and get a paint-supplier to match the paint. Haven't got it yet but as its an early one ( Hazet lower case 'a') I'm guessing that it's painted rather than powder-coated.
Many thanks for your help..... Wink
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nessy wrote:
Anchovy wrote:

Thats great info, think I will do as you say and get a paint-supplier to match the paint. Haven't got it yet but as its an early one ( Hazet lower case 'a') I'm guessing that it's painted rather than powder-coated.

The lower case "a" means that it is pre-1965 and it is painted. The catalogs switched from the lower case to the upper case about that time. Powder coating came much later.

You will be needing 4 colors for your cart if you go for the total redo. The top tray / work area of your cart should be gray. The trays and tub should be "Hazet blau". The background of the embossed Hazet logo should be a dark blue along with the "Assistent" script. The "Hazet" should be yellow.

Here is a photo of a post '65 (probably early '70's cart) for reference:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you have a photo of your cart to share? You may want to keep the patina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Nessy wrote:
Anchovy wrote:

The lower case "a" means that it is pre-1965 and it is painted. The catalogs switched from the lower case to the upper case about that time. Powder coating came much later.

You will be needing 4 colors for your cart if you go for the total redo. The top tray / work area of your cart should be gray. The trays and tub should be "Hazet blau". The background of the embossed Hazet logo should be a dark blue along with the "Assistent" script. The "Hazet" should be yellow.

Here is a photo of a post '65 (probably early '70's cart) for reference:

Do you have a photo of your cart to share? You may want to keep the patina.

Wow,I'm learning so much about these carts Smile .
Here's the only pic I have at the moment, once I take delivery of it and give it a good clean will be decision-time on whether to restore it or retain its OG patina......

Thanks again.....

Paul

Wink

Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I picked up one of those new 166N Hazet carts recently on Ebay, it arrived with some paint chips that happened during shipping. I was able to color match nearly dead on with a small 14ml tin of Humbrol #48, Mediterranean Blue, it covered up the chips on the original powder coat really well. You could tint it with a few of their other colors as needed to match it to various years and slight color changes on your cart. If you can't locate this brand at your local Hobby store you can PM me and I'll pick some up next time over.

Gary
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color you found in Humbrol is cross-referenced here to other makes:

H48 = Tamiya x14 = Revell 51 = RAL 5002

This is a good match for the newer carts but is probably not a good match for older versions.
bart1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but where I recall finding info about the color and this board is the Bible on all things Hazet.

Maybe not good for touch up paint, but if you are looking for a color that is very close to Hazet blue, try Rustoluem Maui Gloss Blue. Works pretty dang well.

I painted a cheap (but strong and a great value) rack. You can see the original Hazet metal case on the second shelf up.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible! This ^^^ is exactly the info I was hoping to find in doing a Hazet search today! Thanks sir! Now my little rolling chest can fake the funk.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Dutch79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the difference of the Hazet blue pre and after '65 here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7013344#7013344

or my Hazet restoration topic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579349&highlight=hazet+restoration
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: