Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things Unlimited Still Around?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Things Unlimited Still Around? Reply with quote

Anyone knoe if Things Unlimited is still in business? The web site hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't seen Mike at the shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again....

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Unlimited Still Around? Reply with quote

vwsrus wrote:
Anyone knoe if Things Unlimited is still in business? The web site hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't seen Mike at the shows.

Check out the archives... This has been going on for sometime. You have some reading to do but can make up your own opinion from what you read.

Here is the most recent.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166745&highlight=mike+basso

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I read through it. I won't add anymore as my question was answered and there was too much said in the link provided.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Things Unlimited Still Around? Reply with quote

vwsrus wrote:

(I only read the history on this vendor after my faux pas)

Two weeks ago I called to ask if they were still around and if they had a part I needed.
I spoke to a person who claimed to own the site and he told me that business is fine and the part was in stock.
I placed the order, he took $140 and I have received absolutely nothing.
I have called and emailed just to see if I can get a shipping date, but now I cannot reach anyone.

Don't waste your time and money like I did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Things unlimited Reply with quote

I read all the forums on Things Unlimited back last year and early this year, just to get that out of the way. Anyway, I had called and talked to Mike about two months ago, kind of joked with him about all the issues on the forum with him, he even mentioned it was good advertising other than the fact that it was Slander. Well to make a long story short I placed an order on the phone with Mike, gave my credit card info and was expecting my order within a month, being that I'm in Hawaii. Numerous attempts by me to contact him via phone and e-mail to no avail. Still no reply or order from Mike, it's now been two months since I spoke to him. I hate to rub salt in the wound here but this is too much, I'm ready to move on.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Things unlimited Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
kind of joked with him about all the issues on the forum with him, he even mentioned it was good advertising

If he thinks this is good advertising, he is really confused, if indeed that is what he said. Good advertising is when you look like Ruselle Crowe, that bad boy image, and do stuff to get some attention, flying off the handle and getting in fights, but that bad boy image looks nice to some woman, and he keeps scoring big. Saying it is good advertising and joking with you, and taking your money, and then not delivering, just makes him look like a bad business person that has some issues. It is a shame.

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnaTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Things Unlimited Reply with quote

Here's my ten-cents on Things Unlimited.

Give Mike some time. Yes, he has been rather strange acting lately (whereas in the past he was very efficient) He told me on the phone he was getting divorced which obviously has a dramatic effect on people. I have talked to several of his employees (?) girl friends(?) on the phone and it took some persistence to get my parts shipped. Numerous calls to get Mike on the phone made me realize something was amiss

I say let's be a bit patient with Mike right now and also know that he's buying another THING-type business which should be great for all of us. He has a great yard full of cool parts, etc and is a great source of info.

So I say, if you can, hang in there, be patient. We need guys like Mike and Larry and the folks at GMW to keep our rigs on the road.

P.S. Remember that: All Things Are Beautiful Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: "THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME" Reply with quote

Quote:

Give Mike some time. Yes, he has been rather strange acting lately

Folks.....Holy Sheep Kaka!!!!
This act (play, novelette, epic, etc.) has been going on for a year now. How long does one need to prove his worth in the business world of dealing in Thing parts after a watershed event in one's personal life?.....3 years, 5 years, maybe a decade?
Come on folks wise up.
Think Think Brick wall

This union electrician may understand how to wire four way switches...and know what's positive and negative......but he has absolutely no clue about how to properly conduct an automotive parts business and deliver in a timely fashion.....even one that services 30+ year old vehicles.
This supplier definitely has a "dead short" in his circuitry when it comes to "delivering the goods".

Taking customers orders and charging their credit cards without delivering in a timely fashion, borders on criminal activity/fraud.

For those readers who have absolutely no reference to this discussion, review http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166745,
then move on to other suppliers......if you wish to save yourself a whole boatload of grief and angst.

"THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME"
(J. Page, R. Plant)

Regards,
ztnoo
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in for the long haul on the issue of the future of the VW Thing... Mike has piles of the two part that I need. Most of us have waited for or have had Thing(s) so long that a few months or years is no big deal. So, unless anyone on this list can sell me a interior master cylinder brake reservior guard or a 73 driver's side defroster duct talk about something else than TU and how Mike is running his affairs. He has the good Thing stuff --- that is not available elsewhere.
JohnaTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubelman is correct. Where else can you find those unique parts. Used bumper overriders were my latest find, even though it took Mike six weeks of intense phone calls to get him to ship.

On the otherhand, when his bread and butter biz dissapears and he only has the exotic parts left, then he is done.

Two years ago he was great on delivery. What now, I dunno.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I am in for the long haul on the issue of the future of the VW Thing... Mike has piles of the two part that I need. Most of us have waited for or have had Thing(s) so long that a few months or years is no big deal. So, unless anyone on this list can sell me a interior master cylinder brake reservior guard or a 73 driver's side defroster duct talk about something else than TU and how Mike is running his affairs. He has the good Thing stuff --- that is not available elsewhere.

There's supposed to be a guard in front of the master cylinder reservoir? I'll be darned...

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Dave Hardy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to beat a dead horse but he has a $1000.00 of my money 4 over four months no parts. I have got him on the phone he tells me the parts are coming that was two weeks ago. He needs to get his poop in a group that no way to run a business.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Ever see your order from M.B. or your G note returned?
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising the dead....again....

Found a question on Topica forums:

Quote:

Just curious, if anyone went to KTE in Asheville this year did Mike Basso
show up?
Thanks,
Mike

Thought I'd post it here, since I am curious as well..... Think

Mark
CARMENMC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: KTE-Mike Basso Reply with quote

I was at KTE and Mike Basso was not there. Of course The Thing Shop was there and a new vendor named Reed Cowan was there from Minnesota. He had a truck and trailer load of used Thing parts and actually won 1st Place in the Military Division.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any contact information for this new Thing Vendor? I have some parts I need for my Things.
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmann> Reed Cowan is near me, I believe in Rochester, MN. about 60 miles from Cresco. His E-mail is : [email protected]. He sent me an e-mail some time ago when he seen my post on Topica. I advised him to get on and do some posting but never heard from him again. His snail mail address is 3703 20 st. s.e. Rochester. mn. 55904.
Hope this info is still correct. 289-4693 and I think 507 is the area # for the phone #.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed has been around for as long as I can remember. When I got my first Thing roughly ten years ago, I got a part from him that I needed. He was on the topica list then....but it wasnt the topica list then either. It was the Thing Digest.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the contact info...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: