Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spot Weld Cutters
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Eastwood 3/8" "hole saw" type spotweld cutter. It worked pretty good for some 400 welds in both halves of this donor floor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Blair spot weld cutter Snap on and most paint/body supply shops carry them. They are some of the finest ones made. Perri
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harryset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this one, from Eastwood, and it barely got the rear apron done before I had to resort to using ordinary drill bits. The teeth are very brittle and break easily.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14686&itemType=PRODUCT

185 60's up front, Empi disc kit, 2 1/2" drop spindles, 185 65's in back, stock drums.

Sound Deadening by Secondskin
JDGas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this Eastwood bit? Good or junk also?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailm...uctID=1160
1961 Sunroof Beetle - sold
1969 Sunroof Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wasn't impressed. It didn't hold up very well.

'64 Resto Custom Bug - Daily Driver
'57 Sunroof Bug - Endless Project

Living beneath the Sagebrush Canopy
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDGas wrote:

most i have heard dull quickly also they tend to wander. lately i mostly use a regular 3/8 drill with a 120 degree tip
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted info in other threads on using TEK screws for drilling out spot welds... they work good for at least ten or more welds depending on the metal thickness. They are also cheap and have other uses around the shop.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disecting a frame head which is fairly heave gage. Started by drilling out the welds and it was fairly difficult. Just bought a Blair premium spot weld cutter (Rotabroach) and it cuts like butter. Knocked of ten welds in about 10 miniutes. Cost $50 for the arbor, 3 cutters and stick lube. Well worth it.
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenoval wrote:
I'm disecting a frame head which is fairly heave gage. Started by drilling out the welds and it was fairly difficult. Just bought a Blair premium spot weld cutter (Rotabroach) and it cuts like butter. Knocked of ten welds in about 10 miniutes. Cost $50 for the arbor, 3 cutters and stick lube. Well worth it.

OMG you guys are pumping a bunch of money into all these fancy tools. I removed half the front end of my bug with one of these:

It's a B&D Bullet bit and does the same thing as a spot-weld cutter but they cost like four bucks, and I only had to buy one...and it's still good.

OTOH...If I had the $$$ to spend on the tools...well…
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duginabug wrote:
greenoval wrote:

OMG you guys are pumping a bunch of money into all these fancy tools. I removed half the front end of my bug with one of these:

It's a B&D Bullet bit and does the same thing as a spot-weld cutter but they cost like four bucks, and I only had to buy one...and it's still good.

Nice tip on the Black & Decker Bullet bits. I bought a bunch of them from someone on eBay and they work great!
RafCarre12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used an ordinary drill bit... I agree with the guys in the past few posts about wasting money on specialized equipment. The only way it is justified is if you plan on doing a heck of a lot more spot weld removal that a few cars.

Bad Karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duginabug wrote:
greenoval wrote:

What size bit works best?
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 for smaller welds.
5/16 for bigger.

I would start drilling and as soon as the pilot point broke through I would slow to medium speed or so. You will know when it breaks the first layer of metal as it kinda "pops" through.

you'll see what I mean after you do it.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is best to use a center punch on the spot weld before drilling to prevent the bit from walking. I have many examples of drilling spot welds in my Gallery.
PDUBYA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the bullet shaped bits from HD last week, made by Kobalt. It worked better than any spot weld cutter that I have tried in the past. It stayed were I put it and made nice cuts. It did start to get dull however after about 20 spot welds. At 5 bucks each though I can buy 4 of them for the same price as the cheap spot weld cutters.
9TEEN71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

I have posted info in other threads on using TEK screws for drilling out spot welds... they work good for at least ten or more welds depending on the metal thickness. They are also cheap and have other uses around the shop.

Just thought I'd add my 2cents. I thought this was a great idea. For $20 I got a box of a hundred of the largest ones I could find at the local "Home Despot". (#14 x 1") And I must say they worked awesome. Did one whole pan half with about 4 or 5. Easily saved me alot of aggrevation using the el cheapo spot weld cutter I bought for the purpose. Never even made it past the first weld with purpose made tool before it learned how to fly across the garage. (this project was supposed to help with my patience problems!)

Anyways great idea, worked perfectly, and likely saved me from spending a ton of money on cutters or drill bits. (and no I don't own a bit sharpener and I was never really good a sharpening them on the grinding wheel)

Colin
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never even made it past the first weld with purpose made tool before it learned how to fly across the garage.

LMBO

Quote:
I was never really good a sharpening them on the grinding wheel)

Colin

I have tried a few times and have come to the conclusion that it takes a special kind of talent to do it right. It is NOT easy.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duginabug wrote:
Quote:
Never even made it past the first weld with purpose made tool before it learned how to fly across the garage.

LMBO

Quote:
I was never really good a sharpening them on the grinding wheel)

Colin

I have tried a few times and have come to the conclusion that it takes a special kind of talent to do it right. It is NOT easy.

This thing works great.......as good or better than new, when used properly

http://www.drilldoctor.com/
9TEEN71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. I don't know what it is though, for some reason I could never bring myself to spend the money to get one. I guess it always seemed easier to ask for a new set of drill bits under the ole Xmas tree whenever I found too many that were dull. Not sure how many sets I have now... Or maybe I just thought I'd eventually remember which way to twist the bit when sharpening on the grinder and sharpen them all.

Apparently there is one in the shop at work. If I can ever find it and remember to bring all my dull ones in maybe I can save them, only to wreck them another day...

P.S. remember "it's always the tools fault...."

Colin
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you tried and had success with the TEK type self tapping screws... Some think I am crazy when I suggest them but they work really well on the VW small spot welds on the thin metal these cars are made of.

*The cheaper brands at the big box store are not as good as ones you get from a "real nut/bolt/hardware or metal building supplier... that 's the thing to watch out for is GET GOOD ONES.

I was replacing the front header/core support on a Mercedes 300E that had been in a front ender

I had to drill out about 50 + BIG FAT spot welds all around the damn thing(s) both on the donor clip and the car. I was using the TEK screws but the spot welds needed to be hogged out to 1/2" Shocked So I had been using the TEK for starter hole and then hitting again with a drill... it was taking WAY TOO LONG out in 100 degree heat. So... I found some "Uni-bit" deal like this at the local flaps for 9 bucks. Suckers work very well...

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: