Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing case and cylinders?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
WOW, that's profound.
I'm not sure I buy it though, silicone is chock full of this acid, and does not seem to do any harm.
I promise I will report back next time I split it.
Ok, the "acid theory" seems to warrant further study.

So, I take it that if you've been driving it this long it sealed well?

It will be interesting to see. The other side of the argument might be that so little of the acid would be left after it squeezed out that there wouldn't be much reaction with the metal.

Another question: How much beer was consumed before this experiment was conceived?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody thinks it leaks?
Ok, Result: no leaks
You guessed it.
This either proves that ketchup can be a sealant, or that it just does not matter what you use.
The idea was inspired by a debate in which I said "you could probably just hawk a loogie on it and smear it around, if the case is good it won't leak". My friend did not believe.
I substituted ketchup for loogie because ketchup is more standardized.
Any good experiment needs to be repeatable.
spyvsspy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modok, you are one of the coolest personas on this site. Ketchup? I would've never thought about that. HAHA I also dig the sig lines of changing the scat lifters with your oil and gene bergs bus running hot!

Back to topic, Hylomar is pretty bad ass. Smells a little but I now prefer it over curil T. You can use hylomar on everypart of the engine. Period.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyvsspy wrote:
You can use hylomar on everypart of the engine. Period.

I've found this to be fairly true. It bothered me a bit because the idea of a "universal" sealant sounds a bit too much like snake oil. However, there are few places where you can't use Hylomar to advantage. I wouldn't use it on the fuel system, but then again I seldom need any sealing help there.

The more I think about ketchup the more reasons I can think of that it would work. It has pureed tomato in it, so there is a fiberous component that would assist sealing. I don't think I'll replace my tube of Hylomar just yet, but if I were on a desert island and all I had was ketchup...
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me there is no "universal sealant" thats why there ase so many kind's.
I have used Gasgacinch for at least 25 years and it's my favrite for alot of work. But I also use Hylomar,ultragrey,hondabond,yamabond,permatex form-a-gasket 2 (I use it very little a small tube has lasted me 10 years or so) Dirko but I haven't used it on a aircooled case, also victor dichtmasse 300SI. I think its about the same as Dirko thay both come in the head sets for waterboxer's just diffrent brands of kit's and of course red rtv but very little and never for case sealant. So I haven't tryed Curil yet I will have to look into it.
Thay all have there use and place there is on "one size fits all" sealant.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the smell of Permatex Aviation and I will always associate that smell with my first engine build. However, that motor had so much blowby (reused P/C Evil or Very Mad ) that I have no idea if the stuff even worked. Now I use Curil T because of the easy cleanup.
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brothers VW recommended using Threebond 1211 so I gave it a go on the cylinders-to-case and so far its holding up great. No leaks and it seems to be staying intact very well.
I'll be using it on the next case I split.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
spyvsspy wrote:
You can use hylomar on everypart of the engine. Period.

I've found this to be fairly true. It bothered me a bit because the idea of a "universal" sealant sounds a bit too much like snake oil. However, there are few places where you can't use Hylomar to advantage. I wouldn't use it on the fuel system, but then again I seldom need any sealing help there.

The more I think about ketchup the more reasons I can think of that it would work. It has pureed tomato in it, so there is a fiberous component that would assist sealing. I don't think I'll replace my tube of Hylomar just yet, but if I were on a desert island and all I had was ketchup...

I use a dab (hylomar) on the bolts for the T-4 fuel pump. The stuff is amazing. You can even remove the part and replace it without cleaning and prepping the part for sealant second time around.
drivnvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Never used Curil for case sealing, always used Permatex aviation. I am trying the Curil this time around, and since everyone says it doesn't fully harden, how much squeezeout is allowed. I put a small bead on sealing surface, and there was a tiny bit of squeezeout on the outside and the inside of the case. What happens with the Curil on the inside of the case. I don't want any of it getting into places where it shouldn't be.
Thanks for your time, Eric
Käfer59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question guys.

Can I use a sealant on the barrel to case side without taking the barrel completely out and halving to repress the rings. I have a 1600 and the barrel moved from the case about 1/8th of an inch when I was pulling off the head.. This might be a dumb question but this is the first time I'm adventuring this far.
Thanks
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 2 of my favorite vendors are out of curil Crying or Very sad I was wondering what flavor curil (as in T or K2) is best for case half sealant.

Also a few years back I had a longblock put together by boston bob before he passed. He used this yellow stuff. Anyone know what that is? The engine is drier than a popcorn fart!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use Loctite 518 which is like red loctite paste on the case halves.
Curil T is the thicker of the two Curils.
The Yellow stuff is 3M Weather strip adhesive in the red and white tube commonly found at body shop supply stores, paint shops etc
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so the 518 is a good way to go if I can't find curil? The yellow stuff I speak of isn't weatherstrip goo near as I can tell. Its a super pale yellow and is dry not gooey. Ill have to take a pic.

If the 518 will work I'm all for it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Käfer59 wrote:
Question guys.

Can I use a sealant on the barrel to case side without taking the barrel completely out and halving to repress the rings. I have a 1600 and the barrel moved from the case about 1/8th of an inch when I was pulling off the head.. This might be a dumb question but this is the first time I'm adventuring this far.
Thanks

After you get the head off; make sure your piston is at top dead center (roughly) on the barrel you are working on. Slide the barrel out a couple inches. Get rid of any paper gasket material if it was previously used. Do not try to use a paper gasket when reassembling, it is not needed. You can then clean the bottom of the barrel with carb cleaner and finish it off with acetone. As long as it's perfectly clean like it's brand new and there is no oil residue then you can run a thin bead of sealer arount eh barrel only. You can use Ultra Grey of the Blue High temp or even Copper High temp sealer. So both cylinders on the same side of the case then reinstall the head, Pushrod tubes (after properly expanding them) and new seals then torque the head down to spec.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.

Last edited by yamaducci on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Ok so the 518 is a good way to go if I can't find curil? The yellow stuff I speak of isn't weatherstrip goo near as I can tell. Its a super pale yellow and is dry not gooey. Ill have to take a pic.

If the 518 will work I'm all for it

The 518 will work for sure...
Although many people use the bright yellow weatherstrip adhesive also known as gorilla snot; if yours is light yellow then it may be threebond or maybe aged Curil. Yamabond, hondabond are also awesome but harder to clean up if you take things apart often. They can be had at the local cycle shop.

yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Toyota Application of Threebond series products and their associated packaging, color and part number. These can be purchsed under the Threebond name or some of the Loctite names as well as at the Toyota Dealer.
Notice the Threebond 1131 Toyota "light Yellow Sealer is also Marked as the Loctite 518 which is red.
http://toyotagroup.blogspot.com/2011/11/sealant-sealant-is-liquid-gasket-that.html

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the stuff! So now begs the question do I use that or the curil t? I guess both will make a leak free seal

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
That looks like the stuff! So now begs the question do I use that or the curil t? I guess both will make a leak free seal

I use 518. I also use a host of other sealers in other places.
Aircooled.net used Curil T
Brothers Machine uses Threebond

You can't go wrong with any of them on the halves. Just use a good light coat of RTV in the cylinder bases and I use hylomar on the oil pump body and cover.

bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Käfer59 wrote:
Question guys.

Thanks

After you get the head off; make sure your piston is at top dead center (roughly) on the barrel you are working on. Slide the barrel out a couple inches. Get rid of any paper gasket material if it was previously used. Do not try to use a paper gasket when reassembling, it is not needed. You can then clean the bottom of the barrel with carb cleaner and finish it off with acetone. As long as it's perfectly clean like it's brand new and there is no oil residue then you can run a thin bead of sealer arount eh barrel only. You can use Ultra Grey of the Blue High temp or even Copper High temp sealer. So both cylinders on the same side of the case then reinstall the head, Pushrod tubes (after properly expanding them) and new seals then torque the head down to spec.

You can also pull the cylinder enough to expose the wrist pin and press the pin out with a threaded rod/socket press and remove the cylinder and piston as a unit. It's less awkward than trying to work around the studs. This is a lot easier to do if you're removing both barrels but can be done with just one.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is a topic as old as the hills and gets a lot of heated discussion. I'm in the midst of some fairly accurate but not exactly scientific tests.

I contacted Permatex and asked what the thinnest working film of RTV is and at what torque value. I was surprised at the response I got back.....

"David ... We ... being an Automotive oriented company ... have never conducted experimental analysis to produce the information you are requesting. If you want to contact us ... you can do that ... toll-free @ 877.376-2839.

Hank Peckman
Research & Development
Technical Service Group"

They don't know apparently how thick their product can be squeezed down to. I ask this question because of bearing crush issues using RTV.

So I conducted a test.
Part 1:
two pieces of steel each measuring .1285 in thickness. Probably not 100% consistent but I measured them at several locations along their length.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used a tube of Red RTV High Temperature that I had in my tool box.
I squeezed on a small bead.
I then clamped the two pieces of steel in my Antique Wilton C1 Vise. Most of the RTV oozed out top and bottom. I squeezed the steel as tight as I could using only the vise handle.

EDIT: I've added dimensions for the steel clamped in the vise with the ATV between them. The clean steel clamped in the vise measures .257 the RED RTV measures just shy of .258 an film thickness of almost .001

Clean steel

Red RTV

After setting up overnight under pressure I took out the piece of steel and separated them using a screw driver, they fought me but they did indeed come apart leaving residual RTV on both pieces.

I then measured, carefully, very carefully so as not to dig into the RTV film using the anvil on both sides, in the silicone and on the steel and consistently came up with either .129 and .1295.

My conclusion is that Red RTV leaves behind a film that varies between .0005 and .001 thick.

Used on a case this would change your bearing crush calculations.

Now onto the next test using Hylomar!!

Ok, same test......

It is setting in the vise, clamped tight overnight, we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: