Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Ghia Vacuum advance distributor won't advance
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdaiken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: 1974 Ghia Vacuum advance distributor won't advance Reply with quote

My '74 Ghia (engine code AH) single vac hose distributor is stuck (won't advance) and timed at about 30 degrees BTDC for all engine speeds. If I pull a vacuum on the vac advance hose, I can make the advance mechanism move sluggishly but there's too much friction for the spring to return it to position. It runs pretty decently with the fixed advance, but I assume I need to fix this. Is it possible to clean it well enough to restore operability or should I look for a replacement? The distributor VW part number is 113 905 205 M which I don't see in my manual but I assume it's the original (owned the car for the last 40 years or so). Would a cheap Bosch 009 distributor be adequate or do I need to spend more on this? Thanks for your help in advance.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Vacuum advance distributor won't advance Reply with quote

First, dont replace with an 009 , replace with an SVDA will be best.

It is possible to strip down the distributor, especially the moving plate and clean it up, although probably simply lubricating it with some sewing machine oil or engine oil may soften the grease and reduce friction ..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Vacuum advance distributor won't advance Reply with quote

Pretty sure a 205M is an SVA for an earlier motor than a '74. What carb do you have (i.e., 34PICT3)? You will probably need and 034 SVDA. Don't put an 009 on; the correct dist for your carb will run so much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdaiken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Vacuum advance distributor won't advance Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The carb on it now is a generic 34 pict 3; prior to that, it had a Solex 34 pict 3 (VW-432 stamped on the mounting flange), but I don't know if that carb was original to the car. My plan is to remove the distributor and try to clean it to free up the advance mechanism. If that doesn't work, I'll replace it with something other than an 009.

-update-
I was able to free up the frozen vacuum advance mechanism by spraying Liquid Wrench penetrating oil repeatedly on the advance mechanism while pulling a vacuum on the inlet and working the mechanism with a screwdriver. After about an hour, it was moving freely. I reinstalled it expecting to have solved the issue but not so. I timed the spark to about 15 BTDC with it running using a timing light. I then increased engine rpms but the timing stayed where it was, which is what the original problem was. Thinking that it wasn't getting a vacuum signal, I started to pull off the vacuum hose at the distributor and the timing retarded toward 5 degrees ATDC and the engine stalled. I static timed it to around 15 BTDC, left the vacuum hose disconnected, and started it up. I found the vac signal at the hose was around 20 inches Hg at idle and thruout the rom range. This is essentially the same as the intake manifold pressure. The vacuum port is on the side of the carb, near the air volume and mixture screws. It turns out that the vacuum sensing point is from a drilling that is just downstream of the throttle plate, not just upstream, as I think it's supposed to be. Therefore, now the distributor gets full vacuum, even at idle. I may post separately on this problem- whether the thtottle plate can be made to rotate further (the screw is adjusted so it isn't touching the stop) or whether it's a problem with quality control of generic 34 pict 3 carbs.

Last edited by hdaiken on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Vacuum advance distributor won't advance Reply with quote

Don't replace it with a 009. It will cause a flat spot at low RPMs unless you have a lead foot.

113905205M is for a single port motor or an engine using a single port carburetor. This is vacuum advance only. It will not run well with your 34 PICT 3 as the vacuum signal is not the best.

You have a 34 PICT 3 and that is for a dual port engine. You should get a 034 distributor or something similar. This is what is typically referred to as a SVDA.

Here are two options I have available:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2619759
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2181010
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: