Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help!!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Help!! Reply with quote

So, drove the Thing to Seattle from Portland... no problems. On the way back, however, we stopped to gas up, and when I turn the key... nothing! So, push-start it, it fires right up, drive down to portland fine. Get off the freeway, as soon as I come to a stop, it dies. It continues to die at stops unless I keep the engine revved up. I managed to make it back to my house, but had to push-start it about five times along the way.

What's goin' on?!?!
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several thing could be happening here. When you tried to start the car, I get the impression that the starter didn't even ""click""" If this is the case, 2 basic things could be wrong. 1. Bad starter 2. The wire that goes from the key to the starter that activates the solenoid could have fallen off. Typically it's a 14 gauge wire with a female spade fitting, you'll have to look for the male fitting on the starter and if it fell off, re-attach it. Also, gently tighten the spade fitting before re-attaching.

Of course it could also be a bad key switch.

The engine thing could be a bad fuel cut off solenoid or a bad fuel pump that's not supply enough fuel to keep the carb from running dry. It could also be a bad electrical wire that feeds the fuel solenoid so check it out, it runs from the + side of the coil (the side that doesn't contain the wire from the distributor) to the solenoid than to the electric choke.

It could also be bad points, bad plugs, bad wires, bad rotor or cap. Could also be a plugged fuel line or a plugged filter.

This should be enough for now to get you started in the diagonisis.

good luck

Last edited by LEJ on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your battery cables.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the battery? They do not seem to last as long as they used to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the battery... That was my initial thought and I had a guy jump me- made no difference.
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after sitting over night- it started right up, drives fine, no problems. Could it have been the extreme heat we're having here in the NW? What's the story with that... I know vapor lock can be a heat-related problem, but this wasn't vapor lock.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes large particles in your gas tank or fuel filter can lodge themselves against hoses and openings, thereby blocking your fuel flow. Allowing the car to sit overnight usually allows the particles to dislodge themselves and settle down, but this is sort of an off-chance reason for your troubles. Still, something worth ruling out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: